Master System must haves?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Nwosteve121077
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:41 pm

Re: Master System must haves?

Post by Nwosteve121077 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:11 pm

R Type. Bonus level is great.

User avatar
the_hawk
Posts: 5842
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Master System must haves?

Post by the_hawk » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:33 am

Wow Dudley! Hello there.

I am amazed the Master System had much of a life after the Megadrive was released. The machine & games wern't that much cheaper & the MD had that MS converter for anyone looking to upgrade. A definite underdog, it's amazing to see how far they pushed the commercial life & what they could do on the machine towards the end.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

User avatar
learnedrobb
Posts: 1309
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Master System must haves?

Post by learnedrobb » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:56 pm

the_hawk wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:33 am
Wow Dudley! Hello there.

I am amazed the Master System had much of a life after the Megadrive was released. The machine & games wern't that much cheaper & the MD had that MS converter for anyone looking to upgrade. A definite underdog, it's amazing to see how far they pushed the commercial life & what they could do on the machine towards the end.
To be fair, the Master System was a major force in Europe through the late 80s & early 90s. Coders managed to produce games that seriously pushed the systems hardware beyind what an 8bit system was felt capable of.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

User avatar
Dudley
Posts: 8665
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:53 am
Contact:

Re: Master System must haves?

Post by Dudley » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:38 pm

Sonic Chaos I have a huge soft spot for. It's clearly riiiiiiight on the edge of what the SMS can do but it's doing it.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

User avatar
thedustyjoypad
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:26 pm
Location: Rhyl
Contact:

Re: Master System must haves?

Post by thedustyjoypad » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:22 pm

Dudley wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:38 pm
Sonic Chaos I have a huge soft spot for. It's clearly riiiiiiight on the edge of what the SMS can do but it's doing it.
Don't think I've ever played that. I'll have to give it a go 😀
Retro gaming since it was just called gaming!

User avatar
thedustyjoypad
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:26 pm
Location: Rhyl
Contact:

Re: Master System must haves?

Post by thedustyjoypad » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:28 pm

thedustyjoypad wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:22 pm
Dudley wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:38 pm
Sonic Chaos I have a huge soft spot for. It's clearly riiiiiiight on the edge of what the SMS can do but it's doing it.
Don't think I've ever played that. I'll have to give it a go 😀
Just been playing it now, loved it. Would be been good to see a Mega Drive version of it too.
Retro gaming since it was just called gaming!

User avatar
Dudley
Posts: 8665
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:53 am
Contact:

Re: Master System must haves?

Post by Dudley » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:03 am

It'd solve that pesky framerate issue certainly.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

User avatar
thedustyjoypad
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:26 pm
Location: Rhyl
Contact:

Re: Master System must haves?

Post by thedustyjoypad » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:08 am

Dudley wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:03 am
It'd solve that pesky framerate issue certainly.
Yes, that would be be nice :)

Thought the music was really good 8)
Retro gaming since it was just called gaming!

User avatar
Dudley
Posts: 8665
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:53 am
Contact:

Re: Master System must haves?

Post by Dudley » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:57 pm

The whole thing is kinda lovely.

Self-promoting relevant fact. Episode 3 of Yesterzine, out on Friday has a feature on the Master System's Indian Summer period, given we're focusing on a late 93 issue of Mean Machines that happens to have 4 of them in, including Sonic Chaos.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

User avatar
outdated_gamer
Posts: 2599
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:14 pm

Re: Master System must haves?

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:49 am

thedustyjoypad wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:28 pm
thedustyjoypad wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:22 pm
Dudley wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:38 pm
Sonic Chaos I have a huge soft spot for. It's clearly riiiiiiight on the edge of what the SMS can do but it's doing it.
Don't think I've ever played that. I'll have to give it a go 😀
Just been playing it now, loved it. Would be been good to see a Mega Drive version of it too.
You're lucky, it exists as a free fan game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhLWiCKcXFI

User avatar
Dudley
Posts: 8665
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:53 am
Contact:

Re: Master System must haves?

Post by Dudley » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:34 am

That is beautiful, it's not QUITE a Mega Drive Sonic Chaos because it's missing the Hoverboard with the accelerator taped down and those are different levels.

But if they had made an official Mega Drive version that's probably more what it'd have been like.

Lovely though, thanks!
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests