Master System must haves?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

llj

Re: Master System must haves?

Post by llj » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:22 pm

I will recommend Cyborg Hunter, a blatant Metroid ripoff. But a good one!

(Although the worst part of the game is that you need a second controller handy. For some reason you have to use the 2nd player controller to access your item menu. I guess there weren't enough buttons for the game.)

Quiteenjoy

Post by Quiteenjoy » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:21 pm

Spider man is a frustrating little number for you if you have the time and low self respect.

Buttons were never the MS's strong point. Always puzzled me why the pause button was on the base unit.
Your crumpets are in another castle.

http://www.quiteenjoy.co.uk - comedy blog

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:29 pm

I like to use a Mega Drive pad - one of my faves. Or even run it through a Master System converter anyway.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Overheat

Post by Overheat » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:43 am

I've just got a bunch of Master System games and had a quick play with about 20 of them - and besides the light gun games, which I really enjoyed but probably more for the novelty value than anything else, I think Bram Stoker's Dracula looked really very promising indeed. I also like the look of Star Wars and The Lucky Dime Caper starring Donald Duck. Streets of Rage was a fantastic conversion too, just a shame there's no 2-player option. Although I must admit I didn't play any of them long enough to form a solid opinion.
Overheat's Top 10 Auctions *updated weekly (or thereabouts)* | CLICK HERE

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:59 am

RetroBob wrote:I like to use a Mega Drive pad - one of my faves. Or even run it through a Master System converter anyway.
Yep, Mega Drive pads are SO much better than the useless SMS ones, some of the worst pads ever made.

Can I add Double Dragon, GP Rider, Lemmings, Rocky to the list.

Quiteenjoy

Post by Quiteenjoy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:01 am

I used to love safari hunt- which I think was the only game I ever used the light gun for. I remember when you shot a duck in the air it instantly became cooked, yet continued to fly off. Who says video games aren't realistic eh?
Your crumpets are in another castle.

http://www.quiteenjoy.co.uk - comedy blog

giss

Post by giss » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:32 am

If I had to choose one game and one game only I'd probably go with Wonderboy in Monster Land. I had a Master System growing up and this is the game that I held closest to my heart.
I also recommend Psycho Fox, the spiritual prequel to DeCap Attack and ofcourse the classic Alex Kidd In Miracle World.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:13 am

this thread is 5 years old
i think that the orginal poster got what he wanted for the master system already
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Dam

Post by Dam » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:27 am

snowkatt wrote:this thread is 5 years old
i think that the orginal poster got what he wanted for the master system already
Yes, in fact the OP even says he's going to go and pick some of these suggested games up from Gamestation! Remember the days when you could do that? Seems a long time ago.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:33 am

It is, but you were the one who resurrected it in the first place!
Xbox Live: RetroBob

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:00 pm

Im glad everyone recognises how awesome Wonderboy is. Monster World is pretty much my all time favourite :D
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:31 pm

Quiteenjoy wrote:Buttons were never the MS's strong point. Always puzzled me why the pause button was on the base unit.
I remember once playing Double Dragon (could only have been about 6 or 7 at the time) two-player with my mate, who had the first model SMS. It was taking us a long time to get through and we had gotten to the final stage for the first time, when I needed a wazz. This was at about 11pm, which at that age is a late night gaming session, so we were both knackered. As my mate was sitting nearest I asked him to pause the game. He hit the reset button by mistake.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:48 pm

RetroBob wrote:
It is, but you were the one who resurrected it in the first place!
Actually, that 'honour' goes to Quiteenjoy! :P

Overheat

Post by Overheat » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:51 pm

che_don_john wrote:
Quiteenjoy wrote:Buttons were never the MS's strong point. Always puzzled me why the pause button was on the base unit.
I remember once playing Double Dragon (could only have been about 6 or 7 at the time) two-player with my mate, who had the first model SMS. It was taking us a long time to get through and we had gotten to the final stage for the first time, when I needed a wazz. This was at about 11pm, which at that age is a late night gaming session, so we were both knackered. As my mate was sitting nearest I asked him to pause the game. He hit the reset button by mistake.
I like on Streets of Rage that you actually have to get up and press the pause button in order to use your special attack! :D
Overheat's Top 10 Auctions *updated weekly (or thereabouts)* | CLICK HERE

llj

Post by llj » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:39 pm

ShadowNeku wrote:Im glad everyone recognises how awesome Wonderboy is. Monster World is pretty much my all time favourite :D

Dragon's Curse is something I have yet to play and want to. I did own Wonderboy in Monster Land and did complete the game on the SMS. But that was after watching my friend master it in the arcades with 1 credit. Boy, he was good at that game. Some people say the game is hard, but it's not like Ghosts and Goblins or even the first Wonder Boy type hard.
che_don_john wrote:I remember once playing Double Dragon (could only have been about 6 or 7 at the time) two-player with my mate, who had the first model SMS. It was taking us a long time to get through and we had gotten to the final stage for the first time, when I needed a wazz. This was at about 11pm, which at that age is a late night gaming session, so we were both knackered. As my mate was sitting nearest I asked him to pause the game. He hit the reset button by mistake.
But Double Dragon for the SMS only takes 20 minutes to beat! And the SMS version had unlimited credits.