games that changed your life..

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

daverage

Post by daverage » Mon May 21, 2007 4:56 am

Sim City, lost many days of my life in that!

An SAS game on the PC that I can remember the name of, you had to position 4 men outside a building. You then used snipers to shoot bad guys out of the windows, then you abseiled down the side of building, smashed in and went into a FPS style game...great stuff!! (Anyone able to tell me what it is?)
EDIT: Found it, it was called Hostages by Infogrames
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostages_(computer_game)
Andrzej 'daverage' Marczewski
http://www.yetanotherreviewsite.co.uk
Games reviews written by gamers for gamers

Barkie

Post by Barkie » Mon May 21, 2007 5:42 am

The game is Hostages.

Had it on the ST good game.

oops Just read the bottom of your post,

I wonder how it plays now ? will have to give it a go on Steem sometime.

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Mon May 21, 2007 9:16 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote:Just reinstalled Champ manager and it's really distracting my revision at the moment, just wanna go back home and play it. Need to close this page, revise for a couple of hours for test tomorrow and go play, but it's on my mind too much!!!!
I know that feeling all too well. For me the Champ Manager series gave the first good excuse for gaming until 5 in the morning, then going on for another seasonal marathon the next day again till dawn.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:43 pm

Elite What more needs to be said! If this game were a film it would be someting like The Godfather epic and everyone loves it! I remember it on the Commodore 64. The wire frame graphics and the opportunity to move up to Beam Lasers and docking so tricky!!!!!!!!

Chaos Engine on Amiga. A great two player shoot'm up. Had great touches like power ups and weapons upgrades.

Lotus Espirt Turbo challenge on Amiga. You could tell they were influenced a bit by Pitstop and it was such a challenging game, okay it might be simplistic whne compared to todays racers, and they have analog controls now.

Twin Kingdom Valley on C64. My first adventure game, and good old fashioned text. I remember getting the hold all and you could fill up with loads of stuff. Plus finding the grate which goes underground, I managed to get into the castle, but the dragon killed me.

Monkey Island on Amiga. A giant leap in adventuring game, and still one of the funniest games made.

First Samurai on Amiga. A good mix of platformer, beat'em upand puzzle game. A shame I didn't get to play the sequel.

Tie Fighter on PC. I played X-Wing and thought it was okay, but the dark side is more fun!! Went out and bought myself a decent analogue Joystick for this. Was amazed by the texture mapping on this. Great fun surviving on Tie Fighters with no shields on the first few games, then moving up and working with Vader on the last battle!

Civ on Amiga and PC. I originaly had this on the Amiga and when it was released it was buggy as any thing! When I got a PC and it had a hard drive then you released just how great this game was!!!!!! The sequels can't seem to match the magic of the orignal, and when the multipalyer version was released that was great as well!

F-19 Stealth Fighter on Amiga. Nowadays flight sims are way too complicated, this got the balance about right. Loads of missions and you could learn to keep your radar signature down. I remember the old mission where you have to take a photo of the enemy Stealth fighter and equip the plane with a camera.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:59 am

Smurph wrote:I've been impressed by games, I've enjoyed games a bit more than I should, too... I'd never say I was changed by them. It sounds a bit pretentious to me, like a music critic that says 'Mahler changed my life'.
Seconded - Plenty of games have made me think "wow" but none have changed my life because.....

Warning - controversial statment alert........

They are just games.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:13 am

Can't quite remember which it was, but the first game I ever played is the one that changed my life. It's how I became the twisted, obsessive gamer I am today. :D
真・豪鬼

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:28 pm

A really bizarre one but for good reasons:

Montezumas Revenge on C64

Purely because it was the first game I ever played on the C64, and that was the game that started my passion for gaming!

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:15 pm

Games that chnged my life

Street Fighter II - this game got me into the beat 'em up genre - I must admit, I'm a bit of an obssesive when it comes to SF2

Bomb Jack - I spent a whole £2.50 on this game for my C16 - I played it endlessly for months

Paperboy - I thought this was a blody brilliant game - yet again I owned it on C16 - played it endlessly for months like the above

Lemmings - very challenging - this kept me indoors on my Amiga through the winter. I never got any colds, all thanks to Lemmings

Rez - a more modern one here - I couldn't believe my eyes (and ears) when I stumbled across this little gem

Head Over Heels and Batman (the Jon Ritman version) - both of these games were what introduced to gaming in a big way - I was addicted to games the moment I started playing Head Over Heels.

pocketmego

Post by pocketmego » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:37 pm

This one is easy, it has to be Star Raiders on the Atari 2600. It was th very first time I discovered a intense game immersion. To actually be part of the game as opposed to just playing the game.

This would be just a taste of the kind of gaming that I would discover when I got my Commodore 64. It was clearly the primer for games like Elite, Space Rogue, Most Lucas Arts, and Infocom games.

-Ray

Type2XS

Post by Type2XS » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:49 am

Would be Pitfall 2 on the C64. The game that started it all (for me ;) ) .

Later on: Turrican (also C64, got the Amiga one later). Absolutely gorgeous! Even today I can play it again and again and again :D

GovanGer

Post by GovanGer » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:45 am

Ghostbusters on the Atari 2600!

I must have been about 5 or 6 years old. Before that I had only played "Pong" type games on those consoles that had the 6 pong variations under the guise of Hockey, Football, etc.

I couldn't believe how real Ghostbuster looked, haha.

Not knowing the word "Graphics" at such a young age, I remember going home from my friends house and telling her how good the "pictures" on the game looked :D

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:15 am

GovanGer wrote:Ghostbusters on the Atari 2600!

I must have been about 5 or 6 years old. Before that I had only played "Pong" type games on those consoles that had the 6 pong variations under the guise of Hockey, Football, etc.

I couldn't believe how real Ghostbuster looked, haha.

Not knowing the word "Graphics" at such a young age, I remember going home from my friends house and telling her how good the "pictures" on the game looked :D
Did it have the sing-a-long theme tune with the moving ball?

PS - You a Rangers fan?
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

GovanGer

Post by GovanGer » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:21 am

what moving ball?

and Yes to point 2 :D

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:33 am

GovanGer wrote:what moving ball?

and Yes to point 2 :D
Seem to remember (but could be wrong) that on the C64 version the ray parker jr song would play and a ball would move as the lyrics would scroll across the screen...

Update:

Type2XS

Post by Type2XS » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:41 am

Oh my god, I don't remember how many times I sang along this song before playing the game. Sadly I never came beyond the first part of the game. I think I was too young, to understand what to do. Besides capturing ghosts that is :D