games that changed your life..

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

GovanGer

Post by GovanGer » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:56 am

I don't think the atari one done that. :(

I do remember having it for the spectrum, and when you loaded it up it asked you to insert a credit card number on the screen where you buy your equipment.

I guess it was some sort of password system for the game, but at that young age I honestly thought that if you put in a real credit card number you would be able to buy all the items at the start of the game.

My mum of course, being one of those "mums who are scared of computers" refused to give me her CC in case she ended up in thousands of pounds of debt.

It was like today's identity theft scares, but on a spectrum :D

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:56 pm

Sonic the Hedgehog, Spyro the Dragon, Ratchet and Clank and Kingdom Hearts. I'm not a fan of RPGs but this one is amazing.
Fight the good fight of faith,
Lay hold on Eternal life.

-1 Timothy 6:12-

Celebaglar

Post by Celebaglar » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:59 pm

Let's see...

Some Cricket game on the Speccy with players represented by stick men (can't remember the actual name) - after having fun with that at a mate's house I kept pestering my parents for a computer. They bought me a C64 (sans tape deck or disk drive) and I ended up doing my own version of a Cricket game. Not quite commercial quality but my mates enjoyed it and it was first foray into programming, which I've been doing ever since.

Heroes of Karn on the C64 - not the greatest game but my first computer game purchase, my first adventure, and my first completed game. It also fuelled my love for text adventures which is still alive today.

Lords of Midnight on the C64, later Doomdark's Revenge too - both games captivated me with their atmosphere and scope and I've had an on/off obsession with them ever since. Many a year I planned and dreamed of working on my own variant and now, nearly a quarter of a century later, I've done just that. :)

Elite on the C64 - because many a session I was to be found taking on one more trip of one more mission instead of attending my lectures. That particular academic path didn't amount to much...

Championship Manager/Football Manager and Civilization series on Amiga and PC - the only series I've kept buying and playing with each new release.

Midnight/MU (an online Lords of Midnight variant) - both as a player and later a developer, the game and associated community have helped get me through some dark times in my life over the past few years by giving me something positive to focus on and contribute to. It might not have changed my life, but it sure as hell stopped it being a lot worse.

There have been lots of other excellent games along the way, but they weren't as significant, so they don't really count here.

8bitgamer

Games that changed your life

Post by 8bitgamer » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:57 am

I was utterly amazed by Super Mario Bros. I couldn't believe the freedom of movement, the hidden areas, the awesome controls, etc.

http://brettweisswords.blogspot.com/

thl

Post by thl » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:57 am

SNES
Street Fighter II - It's the very first game that I played which the genre suited me. Use to play on it for ages.

Street Fighter II Turbo - A bit like before but even better and much improvement was put into it.

Super Mario World - It got very interesting when it included unlockable routes and stages.

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - It was very epic that it brought the excitement along the way.

1500graham

Post by 1500graham » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:09 pm

It was the late seventies & the game was pong on my Grandstand games console, but the real life changing games must have been Jet Pac (16k Speccy), when i saw this i became obsessed with the computer but Sabre Wulf drew me in like a moth to a flame.

After that there was The Way Of The Exploding Fist, (Speccy then the C64). More recent games include Doom & Resident Evil, (Playstation).

Playing games is the best way to break away from the seriousness of everyday life & pretty much all of the ones that i have played & enjoyed over the years have changed my life to some degree!

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:49 am

Monkey Island 1 + 2.

Why? well written, gameplay that eases you into the style of play, graphics that oozed smooze and loads and loads of humour.

no other game can touch it!
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Dan

Post by Dan » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:48 pm

Sorry if this is a bit predictable, but it would have to be the G.T.A series right from the 1st one on the ps1 to the present day.
Never had i spent so much time on a game, all day and most of the night just to get that bit further and do one more mission.
Also MORTAL KOMBAT[as it was spelt} the sense joy i got from hearing FINISH HIM!! and then{with sub zero} ripping some guys spine right out of his body was fantastic... :D

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:46 pm

I was racking my brains over this one, thinking back to what games made me go 'wow' -And there's way too many of them to list, the times games have been so good they've had me up until 4am, or throwing sickies to play...

The defining point for me would have to be the first time Arcade games hit our small town that weren't just Pong or Breakout. My hometown was a small coastal town in NZ so took a while for this new 'fad' to hit us. I remember seeing Space Invaders on a TV show, tomorrows World or something, and thinking how cool it would be to play the thing.

Then it hit town. Firstly our picture theatre put one next to the pinball, breakout, and Night Driver machines. That was the turning point and the beginning of the lifelong passion for the things! Mesmorising is probably the term I'd use, and love at first sight! From there it was a mish mash and blur of Donkey Kongs, Zaxxons and Asteroids...

The first home game was the old budget clone with the plug in sports cart. That was traumatic for me 'cos my mum could kick my butt on it. :oops:

8bitgamer

Post by 8bitgamer » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:14 am

Breakout blew my mind by expanding the Pong concept.

Space Invaders showed me what a video game could be.

http://brettweisswords.blogspot.com/