Best TV Game On The Speccy?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Best TV Game On The Speccy?

Post by SpecChum81 » Mon May 14, 2007 10:39 am

Hi All

After finding out what txt games people liked on the Speccy, I thought I'd ask what you thought were the best Speccy games inspired by or based on a TV Programme

My favourites are as follows

Knightmare
The Young Ones
Monty Python's Flying Circus
Minder
Grange Hill
Yes Prime Minister
Benny Hill's Madcap Chase
Round The Bend
Spitting Image

Some will no doubt cross over into different types of game, for instance, Grange Hill, Minder and Yes Prime Minister were Text games, but that doesn't matter too much.

So that's my list, what about your favourite TV Speccy Games?
Press Play On Tape

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon May 14, 2007 10:43 am

Most of the TV games i couldnt stand, theres a ton of movie games i loved but TV games, cant really think of one

Out of that list Monty Pythons i enjoyed but the rest i thought were quite poor

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Mon May 14, 2007 10:49 am

Knightmare
Double Dare
Spitting Image
Eastenders
Round The Bend
Robin Of Sherwood
Blockbusters

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon May 14, 2007 10:51 am

Never had a spec so can't really contribute, however Run the Gauntlet was really cool on the C64 - I assume it was also on the ZX?

And so was Every Second Counts........or was it.........thinking about Paul Daniels, perhaps they mis-spelled the word Counts.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

stvd

Post by stvd » Mon May 14, 2007 10:55 am

Robin of Sherwood was brilliant (but not really associated with the TV series).

I played Minder a lot. The type of game I wouldn't entertain but seemed better because of the TV tie-in.

I thought Dukes of Hazzard (Speccy again) was decent at the time.

And I don't know if it was associated with the TV series either but the Kickstart games were excellent too.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon May 14, 2007 11:32 am

This is probably bending the rules a bit, but can I have Jon Ritman's Batman? :)

Seriously, I'd agree with PSJ that a TV license deal was usually a recipe for disaster though. In general, the less they had to do with the show, the more chance they had of being a decent game.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon May 14, 2007 2:04 pm

I think I'll say Airwolf and Blue Thunder this time, though ask me again and I might change my mind.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

TMR

Post by TMR » Mon May 14, 2007 2:15 pm

stvd wrote:And I don't know if it was associated with the TV series either but the Kickstart games were excellent too.
They weren't officially related to the programme (which is why they're Kikstart without the C) but they are class... and check out the C16 version, it's a very different game but by Sout and rather good.
Antiriad2097 wrote:I think I'll say Airwolf and Blue Thunder this time, though ask me again and I might change my mind.
Blue Thunder wasn't officially licenced... in fact, on some platforms it was "recycled" to become Airwolf when Elite couldn't be arsed to do conversions for everything!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon May 14, 2007 2:19 pm

Isn't that largely becuse licensing wasn't really that common at that point?
It was generally the case there were masses of homages and clones.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

TMR

Post by TMR » Mon May 14, 2007 2:35 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Isn't that largely becuse licensing wasn't really that common at that point?
It was generally the case there were masses of homages and clones.
Pretty much yeah, although it depends on the territory because several companies in the US like Sierra and Commodore had already fallen foul of Atari going after people for Pac Man clones by the time Blue Thunder was released and most people at least changed the name, either an obvious corruption like Scramble clones being called Skramble or Kikstart being like the telly show but no C or a complete change of title like Jelly Monsters for the VIC, one of the Pac Man clones that fell foul of Atari.

Some of the first licenced titles appeared as far back as 1982, Frogger for example.

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Mon May 14, 2007 3:57 pm

Trapdoor was possibly the best tv programme / spectrum game.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Tue May 15, 2007 6:11 am

Trapdoor!

Yes, how could I leave THAT of my list?

I loved both Trapdoor games.

I always loved sending the wrong items up to 'his big bottomedness' and seeing how mad I could make him.

Great games!

I also loved Postman Pat 2 as well.

Any more offerings?
Press Play On Tape

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue May 15, 2007 7:33 am

Now you've cast up Postman Pat, I recall spending quite some time with Thomas the Tank Engine on C64 as one of my kids was well into that.

dr_bob

Post by dr_bob » Tue May 15, 2007 9:48 am

whats with all the spectrum bias eh? (between this and the adventure thread)
Its retrogamer - not Crash(mk2) {although in the original incarnation of RG it sometimes felt like it)
I always had a soft spot for the Adrian Mole games on the c64 (despite them being a glorified choose your own adventure , actually maybe it was because they were a glorified choose your own adventure!)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue May 15, 2007 11:44 am

dr_bob wrote:whats with all the spectrum bias eh? (between this and the adventure thread)
Its retrogamer - not Crash(mk2) {although in the original incarnation of RG it sometimes felt like it)
I always had a soft spot for the Adrian Mole games on the c64 (despite them being a glorified choose your own adventure , actually maybe it was because they were a glorified choose your own adventure!)
I only played Arian Mole on the Speccy ;)