outrun comeback?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ulysses31

outrun comeback?

Post by ulysses31 » Tue May 31, 2016 4:16 pm

seems like there's a spat of 80s synth outrun inspired games on the digital horizon:

Stage Drift http://www.driftstagegame.com/
Power Drive 2000 https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =434946585
Neon Drive http://neondrivegame.com/

what's the chances of a review of this trend taking place?

been listening to this album by FM-84 most days on my 1hr long drive to work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSGnNMnvM6M, just hope i don't flip my red Ferrari !

outdated_gamer

Re: outrun comeback?

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue May 31, 2016 7:20 pm

Yes there's a lot of these indie "80s" Arcade racers poping up and I think it's cool, but at the same time I hope it doesn't become a fad, as in, too many of them and too similar-looking. There already was such a case, some knock-off of Power Drive 2000 which was only made to cash in by playing on nostalgic feelings. More variety in the Arcade racer scene would certainly be good, there used to be lots in the 80s and 90s.

As for the actual OutRun, that's pretty dead now and I don't see Sega reviving it either because of the car licensing issues. But never say never. :wink:

Spector

Post by Spector » Tue May 31, 2016 9:19 pm

Love the FM-84 youtube link in ulysses31's post! :)
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:26 am

The music was great (I'm subscribing) but the above game itself is an endless runner type of affair with over-stylised graphics that try to *evoke* an 80s aesthetic without trying to even attempt a TRUE OutRun style. Neon lights and 80s synth music alone do not maketh a game.

We need another game like OutRun 2, one that is ACTUALLY a game and manages to recreate that *true* 80s SEGA vibe but with a REAL, FULL GAME to enjoy (not just neon 80s graphic design).

When I first saw that game (Neon Drive) it looked hot but upon doing my research on it, then having played it on my bro's PC, that opinion rapidly turned cold. Style over substance, but too much of the former and not enough of the latter.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:55 am

Yup, tried a few of these, Drift Stage looks to be the most promising.

What happened to the 90s Racer? Has anything ever come of that one?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:26 pm

JazzFunk wrote:The music was great (I'm subscribing) but the above game itself is an endless runner type of affair with over-stylised graphics that try to *evoke* an 80s aesthetic without trying to even attempt a TRUE OutRun style. Neon lights and 80s synth music alone do not maketh a game.

We need another game like OutRun 2, one that is ACTUALLY a game and manages to recreate that *true* 80s SEGA vibe but with a REAL, FULL GAME to enjoy (not just neon 80s graphic design).

When I first saw that game (Neon Drive) it looked hot but upon doing my research on it, then having played it on my bro's PC, that opinion rapidly turned cold. Style over substance, but too much of the former and not enough of the latter.
It looks and sounds great though. All the mentioned games do.
Antiriad2097 wrote:Yup, tried a few of these, Drift Stage looks to be the most promising.

What happened to the 90s Racer? Has anything ever come of that one?
Apparently some small outrage due to the PC and Wii U versions being put on ice, being renamed and scheduled just for PS4 and XBO, the two platforms that weren't even mentioned in the Kick Starter campaign. But it could be just a miscommunication and it's just a different company that's publishing those two versions.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:06 pm

Power Drive 2000 looks alright, the other two less so.

More interested in the 90's Arcade Racer (or whatever it's called myself). Taking ages to materialise!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:44 am

outdated_gamer wrote:It looks and sounds great though. All the mentioned games do.
I don't really think they DO, though. They offer as much visual design and depth as a 'dirty, filthy electro' club night flyer. The 'hook' is "HEY! IT LOOKS ALL NEON AND 80s!!!!" But all they truly offer is a flash of lurid neon and some cool synth music. Which is not the same as OutRun, which was *designed*, each stage looked different, it was a total experience whereas these games are taking the mick with their limited, over-stylised, soulless, cynical aesthetic.

God, I sounded harsh there, hehe. In the end, they're just uber-shallow games of the iOS era. Ones that look cool for like three minutes then the big reveal comes and you're left feeling all empty inside. Not being grumpy but I consider them 'all mouth and no trousers'. Make a game that looks swish AND has *some* depth and content is what I say!

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:10 pm

JazzFunk wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:It looks and sounds great though. All the mentioned games do.
I don't really think they DO, though. They offer as much visual design and depth as a 'dirty, filthy electro' club night flyer. The 'hook' is "HEY! IT LOOKS ALL NEON AND 80s!!!!" But all they truly offer is a flash of lurid neon and some cool synth music. Which is not the same as OutRun, which was *designed*, each stage looked different, it was a total experience whereas these games are taking the mick with their limited, over-stylised, soulless, cynical aesthetic.

God, I sounded harsh there, hehe. In the end, they're just uber-shallow games of the iOS era. Ones that look cool for like three minutes then the big reveal comes and you're left feeling all empty inside. Not being grumpy but I consider them 'all mouth and no trousers'. Make a game that looks swish AND has *some* depth and content is what I say!

A bit harsh but I kind of agree. I am not keen on any of the visual style of these games.

If we are talking about Outrun then Palm trees, bright sunny visuals and an upbeat soundtrack like Magical sound shower is far more appealing to me.