Games that have made you cry

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

LAIS

Games that have made you cry

Post by LAIS » Thu May 26, 2016 3:17 am

I can't be the only one, right?

Obviously there's the potential for spoilers here.

For me the key moment is THAT death in Final Fantasy VII. I was blubbing like a baby when Sephiroth did what he did, and I felt pretty deflated for the next portion of the game even though it was really fun.

Another moment that I remember making me cry is the vampire boss in Rainbow Islands, but for very different reasons. I must have been 6 or 7 at the time, and I just couldn't beat him. I only did twice. The second time round I got killed in the following level but the first time round my game crashed and froze. Needless to say I was gutted!

pratty

Re: Games that have made you cry

Post by pratty » Thu May 26, 2016 3:51 am

I've never cried but the relationship between Pamela and her farther in Zelda: Majora's Mask is very sweet, hits me in the feels.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu May 26, 2016 6:21 am

Im to manly to cry at that censored

Not even when Aylis died in Phantasy Star 4

Oh wait that was a spoiler

Not even when I hear the Twin seeds music from NiGHTS into dreams
Not even when my Saturn memory cart died making me lose 15 years of saves
NOT EVEN CUBONES MUM!!

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu May 26, 2016 7:08 am

FF7 was ridiculous, with characters killed in the infuriating 'random battles' then chatting away in the cut-scenes as if nothing had happened. How are you supposed to take a character 'death' seriously?

I think the most upsetting moment I've seen in a game so far is when you get to see the last few pages of Mama's storybook in Mario Galaxy. The little girl in the story (which as it goes on, is evidently Rosalina, the princess who is telling the story) goes out exploring the galaxy, but keeps mentioning missing her home and her Mama. Then she finally finds a telescope big enough to look back to see where her Mama is waiting for her, under the tree on the hill beside her home. And there's the hill. And the tree on the top of it.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu May 26, 2016 7:58 am

The only time I ever cried in a game was during the beginning of The Last Of Us. And possibly the end too.

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu May 26, 2016 8:37 am

Skies of Arcadia- Mostly because I had finished it so it was over, and I was sobbing over the epilogue for what happened to all the characters I met during my adventure afterwards.

Skyward Sword- The part where you finally see Zelda again, only to have her put herself in a 100 year sleep, thus losing her again, if only temporary. What this game did so well was making you REALLY want to save her, moreso then the other Princess Zeldas.

Pokemon Symphonic Evolutions- Not a game but a concert dedicated to Pokemon that came to London last December. Hearing the Pallet Town theme performed by the London Philharmonic Orchestra had in such a nostalgic throwback it reduced me to tears. I livened up afterwards, but broke down again once they started the Diamond and Pearl tunes, as that generation of games mean so much to me, I could not help but cry at the music for that. Such a magical evening.

Still, I was in high spirits after that, especially joining into singing along to the anime theme. :lol:

https://youtu.be/0BT-uxrsTq4
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu May 26, 2016 9:57 am

Never happened to me. Rarely even with movies. I'll confess Mrs Ant and I went with the flow during Marley and Me, but I can't remember a single other instance of actual tears. The guy's wife getting messed up in one of the Gears of War games made me sad for a fleeting moment, and Silent Hill 2 is all sorts of messed up, but no tears here from games.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Thu May 26, 2016 10:39 am

The only times I cried when the final minute or seconds of loading of a speccy or C64 tape when it has a error or resetted the computer!

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu May 26, 2016 10:50 am

Only once - Super Mario Galaxy. When you get to THAT BIT in Rosalina's storybook.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu May 26, 2016 11:03 am

At the end of Grim Fandango. Only time ever, and it surprised me. But then I realised wow.. the writing was amazing in this game, just superb.

Great question!

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu May 26, 2016 1:33 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Never happened to me. Rarely even with movies. I'll confess Mrs Ant and I went with the flow during Marley and Me, but I can't remember a single other instance of actual tears. The guy's wife getting messed up in one of the Gears of War games made me sad for a fleeting moment, and Silent Hill 2 is all sorts of messed up, but no tears here from games.
Marley and me got to me big style. Not often it happens but that one did.

not crying but the end of the last fast and furious movie had a lot of emotion attached to it.

Games have never got me that way TBH.

David

Post by David » Thu May 26, 2016 2:05 pm

The first shot of rise of the Robots after paying 59.99 for it for my Amiga CD32

A tear in my eye even as I type this

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Thu May 26, 2016 3:22 pm

I don't remember ever crying at a game.But shadow of the colossus and limbo had some emotional effect on me.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

ErronBlackMKX

Post by ErronBlackMKX » Thu May 26, 2016 3:27 pm

I never really get upset with video games per se and try to avoid getting emotionally attached... But I was a bit deflated when my backward compatible PS3 started showing signs of ylod after 7 years of faithful service...

I heard that that particular part of FF7 did have that effect on people...

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Thu May 26, 2016 4:23 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:not crying but the end of the last fast and furious movie had a lot of emotion attached to it.

Games have never got me that way TBH.
I always seem to get a bit of dust caught in my eye at that part :cry: Grave of the Fireflies s a truly heartbreaking film as well.

As for games, no I haven't. But that's not to say there aren't those that haven't evoked emotions of sadness, such as the suicide mission in Mass Effect 2, Dom and his wife dying in Gears of War, Clementine trying to help Lee in Walking Dead season 1, the last stand in Red Dead Redemption and the whole of Spec Ops: The Line