Your Fave Magazines (Past or Present)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Tue May 22, 2007 9:48 am

my parents had thrown away my complete Amiga collection when I returned from Uni, 1000's of games too, joysticks, magazines. first time I cried in years!

I can just imagine the joy of the rubbish tip workers sifting through it all at the time, filling their bags and loading up. Was truely gutted.
WANTED: ANY SNES or GAMEBOY GAMES, OR EMPTY BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS, going for FULL SETS of both.

DanDare

Post by DanDare » Tue May 22, 2007 10:56 am

I was the master of my own downfall. I pride myself on not being a sentimental about stuff like magazines so occasionally I'll purge them. 20/20 hindsight says I wish I hadn't. There is something nice about picking up an old magazine and reading it. Especially when you've forgotten what was in it. It's like reading a new issue!

Pengwin

Post by Pengwin » Tue May 22, 2007 12:34 pm

I made the mistake of giving away two complete volumes of Atari User a few years ago. Fortunately, I managed to get them back, and complete the collection :D

focusgaming

Post by focusgaming » Tue May 22, 2007 3:09 pm

Grew up on Crash and ZZAP 64

Then moved onto ST/Amiga Format

Mean Machines, ACE and CVG were great too

If I had all the money i spent on magazines back, I think I could buy a house now.... :?
Lee
Focus Gaming (UK)
http://www.focusgaming.co.uk

Kaptain_Von

Post by Kaptain_Von » Wed May 23, 2007 6:35 am

Over the years I read various magazines depending on what system I had at the time but a few that stick in my mind as being influential or just particular favourites are:

Sinclair Programs - The first magazine I ever bought regularly. I had a ZX81 at the time and not a lot of money to buy anything but the occasional game so the type in listings allowed me access to more games and the joys of learning to debug them.

ZX Computing - For its mixture of articles and type in listings it was invaluable and at the time a veritable tome of a magazine at close to the same number of pages as Games(tm).

Crash - I was a Spectrum kid through and through and this was the magazine I read from cover to cover. Utterly superb, well written and filled with the right mix of information, humour and top quality reviews.

ZZAP64 - Naturally when I acquired a C64, ZZAP was the magazine of choice just as Crash had been for the Spectrum. Oh and it once published a guide to C16 software which was well received as I had just picked up a +4 in the sales.

ST Action - Another excellent review magazine for the Atari ST that like crash managed to strike a good balance.

ST Format - Always got this along with ST Action as it seemed to complement the latter with its focus on more technical issues along with regular excellent cover disks.

Play - Another magazine that often gets well thumbed through and which has been read throughout my PS1 and PS2 owning years. It always reminded me of Crash, certainly in the PS1 years, not so much recently with changes that have been made but is always a good read and way better than most of the other PS magazines.

Games(tm) - Some people probably won't agree but I find this a much better read than Edge which has a tendency to disappear up its own rear end at times. Excellent read and a decent retro section.

Retro Fusion - Okay, it did not last for that long but is still going in other forms but it was one of the few magazines that got read from cover to cover and oddly managed to bring back the same feelings as reading Crash used to.

...and finally.

Retro Gamer - Any magazine that brings back those warm fuzzy feelings is way up my list of favourites.
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Wed May 23, 2007 12:00 pm

Kaptain_Von wrote: Play - Another magazine that often gets well thumbed through and which has been read throughout my PS1 and PS2 owning years. It always reminded me of Crash, certainly in the PS1 years, not so much recently with changes that have been made but is always a good read and way better than most of the other PS magazines.
On the subject of PLAY, can anyone recommend some decent Playstation 1 magazines? The Playstation 1 market was huge, but most of the magazines I've seen for it were complete tosh.