Your Fave Magazines (Past or Present)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon May 14, 2007 8:28 am

Look In was my fav mag as a child.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon May 14, 2007 9:10 am

An oldie for me: The Games Machine, it wasn't the greatest magazine ever but it was the first games mag I bought - It also loved the PC engine when this was a rare beast and hardly ever seen in the uk!

CVG was also brilliant it's a shame it declined the way it did

Zorrobandito

Post by Zorrobandito » Mon May 14, 2007 10:15 am

I loved all the type-in listings in Your Sinclair and spent countless hours typing 1s and 0s incorrectly and then re-typing them ;-)

I moved from there to ACE and from there to The One (very funny reviews) with some great multi-page spreads (usually on Bitmap stuff). As far as I know, The One was also the first magazine to use the joke "If anyone can do it, Turri-can!", which is nice.

In the 90's I read:

C&VG (good but kiddie)

Mean Machines (good but kiddie)

Edge (so terribly serious, like being lectured but a nice counter to the other mags)

EGM* (ads and pages and pages about games I didn't care about [KOEI wargames for example])

Gamepro* (ads and infantile)

* The reason I read the two US mags is that they often had news about US and Japanese titles which would not come to Pal territories for a long, long time. As I was importing games for my customers at the time, it paid to stay on top of things.

These days I read Edge, Gamestm, Retro Gamer and the occasional PC mag or two.

I read the occasional Zzap but skipped the whole C64 scene which is when they really took off.

michaelf

Post by michaelf » Mon May 14, 2007 3:21 pm

jimbobmitch wrote: Your Sinclair was my introduction to computing magazines. Did they have a heavily armed, bad tempered teddy bear as a mascot or is my memory playing tricks on me?
You're 50% correct. The teddy bear in question was Kamikaze Bear, thought up and used by Sinclair User, not YS.

Kami was funny for about 8 issues then the 'joke' went a bit thin. Around the time the mag went a bit crap, IIRC ...

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon May 14, 2007 3:23 pm

Fav Mags:

Past:
CU Amiga
Amiga Format
Amiga User International
Amiga Shopper
Amstrad Action

Present:
Retro Gamer :D

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Mon May 14, 2007 4:02 pm

Crash
Your Spectrum
Your sinclair
Sinclair programs

Sega Power
Amiga Power

Mean Machines

Games (tm)
MCV
In Stock

and of course retro Gamer.

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Mon May 14, 2007 6:08 pm

Past masters
------------------------

Crash
Your Sinclair
Zzap! 64
Sega Force
Mean Machines Sega
MEGA
Amiga Power
Super Play
CU Amiga
Amiga Active
Total Amiga

Contemporary magazines
-----------------------------
Retro Gamer (doubt anyone has heard of it)
GamesTM
NGamer (I'd buy every issue, but would have to remortgage the house to afford it)
EDGE (when it isn't pompous and self important)

blakespot

Post by blakespot » Tue May 15, 2007 7:33 am

"Creative Computing"
"A+"

(mid 80s, stateside)

blakespot
:: Retro game list for iPhone & iPod touch at Touch Arcade
:: Byte Cellar - the vintage computing weblog

dai

Post by dai » Tue May 15, 2007 7:45 am

um, Nubile Orientals Monthly probably..

ahem, i used to get the Speccy mags as a kid but i loved reading PCZone about ten years ago because the writing was so refreshing and aimed towards the older crowd.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue May 15, 2007 10:23 am

woody.cool wrote:Fav Mags:

Past:
CU Amiga
Amiga Format
Amiga User International
Amiga Shopper
Amstrad Action

Present:
Retro Gamer :D

RG's the only gaming mag I buy these days unless i'm really really really bored. Used to pick up Go>Play! but it's now online only and all the other PSP mags SUCK GIANT DONKEY BALLS!!!!
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Tue May 15, 2007 11:13 am

Clearly I was doomed to career in I.T.

Micro Mart - it was (is) like the eBay of the early '90s. only with paper and telephone numbers. I used to love thumbing through a copy looking at the PC components i couldn't afford. Recently they have had a lot of Amiga love and they recently had an ST love in too.

New Computer Express. Another weekly mag. Was it weekly? Or Bi-weekly? It was another favourite while at Technical College in the late 80's.

Other than that, C&VG was good. Edge. I had every copy of Edge until recently. ST and Amiga Format was pretty good.

...at least I didn't mention network week. DOH!

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Tue May 15, 2007 7:06 pm

Elgin_McQueen wrote:RG's the only gaming mag I buy these days unless i'm really really really bored. Used to pick up Go>Play! but it's now online only and all the other PSP mags SUCK GIANT DONKEY BALLS!!!!
It may not be a PSP only magazine anymore, but I think PURE magazine is fantastic. The writing and design of the magazine are atrocious. However, the ink smell is great. It's full of weird chemical that you can smell several feet away. I had a sniff of the last issue and hallucinated brain eating zombies.

This must be the reason that they sell it in a bag.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Tue May 15, 2007 7:14 pm

I remember when GO>PLAY was a monthly insert in one of the PS2 mags. I bought the mag proper from the launch issue. Then I started getting Pure when it launched and thought it was quite good until it started being PS3 and PSP combined (around issue 6 or 7?)

Anyway, I emailed a letter to them telling them how I thought it was censored that they'd went all suck-ass-Sony-multi-format, but didn't buy another issue so I don't know if they printed it or not..

Besides - anyone who buys a PSP magazine is a fool when there are tons of outstanding, exceptional quality downloadable PSP magazines to, er, download.

Google for PSP magazines
Last edited by rossi46 on Tue May 15, 2007 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts and prayers.

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Tue May 15, 2007 7:15 pm

knight_beat wrote: ------------------------

EDGE (when it isn't pompous and self important)
- Which is when exactly?? :lol:
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

MikeHive

Post by MikeHive » Tue May 15, 2007 7:52 pm

Nintendo Magazine System was sheer brilliance until it stopped being NMS and they redesigned it a few times. Then it was just rubbish.

Fortunately, N64 magazine came out and that was even better. I bought every issue for years until Wil Overton left and Mark Green became the editor, and then it gradually became less good and then turned into NGC magazine or whatever its Gamecube incarnation was called. No grudges against Mr Green, though, he's the only editor ever to publish any of my letters (not only a letter, but he posted my artwork, advertised my website, and agreed to start a new feature in the mag based solely on my suggestion - all in the same issue! Nice guy for sure). :) I'm a huge Wil O fan though, so it was dissapointing to see him leave...
~Mike
www.bthive.co.uk :: Banjo Trilogy Hive