Your Fave Magazines (Past or Present)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Sun May 13, 2007 10:44 am

I was always an Amstrad Action guy. Loved that magazine, and of course it was the very first computer mag of any kind to give away free tapes off games on the front cover!

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Sun May 13, 2007 10:45 am

back in the mists of time:

Sinclair Programs (the first computer magazine I ever bought, and the one which taught me to program)

Crash - the only magazine (prior to Retro Gamer) I ever read cover to cover. Raises a smile just thinking about it.

Atari User - a light in the darkness for UK based Atarians

ST Format - by this stage the personality seemed to have fallen out of the computer magazine market

PC Pro / PC Plus / PC Yawn - I managed to kick the PC magazine habit around this time a year ago - after being stitched up by several different magazines offering glowing reviews of Acer laptops (argggggggh - nightmare purchase) I haven't touched them (can the large amounts of Acer advertising have anything to do with the review scores...)

Retro Gamer (obviously)
Last edited by neuromancer on Sun May 13, 2007 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sun May 13, 2007 10:46 am

Crash
Super Play
Arcade
Splink!

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Sun May 13, 2007 10:46 am

FatTrucker wrote:SuperPlay - for everything.

I had the entire set from issue 1 and they got chucked (not by me or with my knowledge) with the rest of my old mags in the clearout during a house move. :evil:

I used to love reading Super Play for the coverage on Anime and Anime games on the Snes worldwide. I was also one of the winners on the anime competition back in 1993 where you had to submit your own idea of an anime story you would like to see made. :)

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Sun May 13, 2007 11:30 am

Mean Machines - Lovely multi format magazine. Had great covers, the reviews were fun and well written (most of the time)

Mean Machines SEGA - I LOVE SEGA, so naturally it was this over the sister mag!

Maximum - It's all about the STYLE baby. Gotta love the Tekken 2 and Virtua Fighter features. Covered in an edition of Retro Gamer some months back, and ULTRA hard to find online!

Mega - Yet another well presented read, loved the letters page. The Top 100 was a massive waste of space though, akin to Retro's Bargain Hunt :lol:

EGM - Sadly dogged by way too many adverts, as is common with most US mags - but, some of the features were very in-depth.

Gamepro - Same as above, but the Gamepro Guides/FAQ'S were fantastic. The Mortal Kombat II combo guide was fab, and I still have it! This was the best source on info before the Internet became widely available. Was the first stop for me when it came to move lists/finishing moves for Mortal Kombat II and other similar games.

C+VG - A lot of fun and written by people that really enjoyed what they were doing. Had highs and low points, again recently documented in Retro Gamer.

There are probably a couple more, but I just can't think of them at the moment.
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sun May 13, 2007 12:27 pm

EvilArmourKing wrote:
Maximum - It's all about the STYLE baby. Gotta love the Tekken 2 and Virtua Fighter features. Covered in an edition of Retro Gamer some months back, and ULTRA hard to find online!
I sold the first 3 issues on Ebay last year for buttons. They'd lain in my loft since I bought and read them when they were current. ::)
Thoughts and prayers.

rtrgrl78

Post by rtrgrl78 » Sun May 13, 2007 12:59 pm

My Offerings:

Your Commodre
Commodore Format
Zzap 64
Computer And Video Games (I think)

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sun May 13, 2007 1:03 pm

All time faves:

Your Sinclair.
Mean Machines.
Sega Power.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Sun May 13, 2007 4:33 pm

Darn, I forgot to mention :

Your Sinclair and Crash!
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Sun May 13, 2007 4:42 pm

Amiga Power or was it? OR WAS IT?

Also, Amstrad Action. I used to think Rod Lawton was da' man. In retrospect he was just a man with a beard..just a man..with a beard.

quangdx

Post by quangdx » Sun May 13, 2007 5:35 pm

no one remember ACE magazine?
Advance Computer Entertainment, from what i remember a great multiformat magazine, i recall a great article on the ill fated konix system.
much better reading that C+VG

Sinclair User
Your Sinclair, both speccy mags were great for different reasons.
ST Format
ACE
Mean Machines, i didn't really like it when the split into two magazine it seemed to loose something.
EDGE
Superplay

and now Retro Gamer.
http://aso.bi
the science of play

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Sun May 13, 2007 6:03 pm

quangdx wrote:no one remember ACE magazine?
Advance Computer Entertainment, from what i remember a great multiformat magazine, i recall a great article on the ill fated konix system.
much better reading that C+VG

Sinclair User
Your Sinclair, both speccy mags were great for different reasons.
ST Format
ACE
Mean Machines, i didn't really like it when the split into two magazine it seemed to loose something.
EDGE
Superplay

and now Retro Gamer.
ACE was pretty good - I found a few copies in the loft of my mother's house a week or two back.

Edge really stood out when it was first launched, taking a mature and reverential outlook on the gaming world. I picked up a copy of edge file vol 3 covering the PS1, Saturn, 3DO etc - it's very interesting to read reviews of what are now retro games when they were still cutting edge.

michaelf

Post by michaelf » Mon May 14, 2007 2:33 am

I cut my computer mag teeth on ACE. Still got the first 20 issues plus the last one. You can really tell the difference in quality between the Future and EMAP published issues.

As a spec-chum, I'm going to say YS, then Crash & SU

As an Amigan, AP, AF then CU.

The only 'modern' computer mags I get these days are iCreate and R*G. I used to buy MacFormat but then it went a bit crap

jimbobmitch

Post by jimbobmitch » Mon May 14, 2007 8:17 am

The only ones I bought regularly were

Your Sinclair
Amiga Format
Amiga Power
PSW
Retro Gamer

Although I did buy the odd copy of C+VG from time to time.

Your Sinclair was my introduction to computing magazines. Did they have a heavily armed, bad tempered teddy bear as a mascot or is my memory playing tricks on me?

Amiga Format was very informative and came with coverdiscs full of useful stuff but was a bit of a doorstep with loads of ads.

Amiga Power was blinking brilliant and incredibly funny. Stuart Campbell's reviews were staggeringly harsh and hilarious. I seem to recall he had comedy hair and a fondness for Kilmarnock FC...

PSW has gone downhill and I now don't buy it any more but it was very good for PS1 and PS2. Not afraid to call a spade a spade.

Retro Gamer is excellent, keep it up, chaps :D
Throwing a spanner in the works since '77.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Mon May 14, 2007 8:27 am

I used to get EGM and its sister mag EGM2 along with Gamepro and Gamefan.

Does anyone remember a US title called Intelligent Gamers Fusion? It was like a US attempt at copying Edge magazine. It was kind of dry compared to the bulk of the Brit offerings, but was an okay diversion now and then.

Surely, I can't be the only one who saw it?
Thoughts and prayers.