What do you like included in Special Editions?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

slacey1070

What do you like included in Special Editions?

Post by slacey1070 » Sun May 22, 2016 10:12 am

My Fire Emblem Fates Special Edition turned up on Friday. It came with all 3 games on 1 cart, a poster, an art book and a steel book.

To be honest, I'm not that interested in posters or steel books, although another member said they liked them.

So, what do you like included in special editions?

I quite like art books, however I'd like to see more exclusive content - which obviously Fates does well.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Black Ridge

Re: What do you like included in Special Editions?

Post by Black Ridge » Sun May 22, 2016 11:40 am

I like art books and soundtrack cds. Most of the other stuff doesn't interest me. DLC is often rubbish and hardly worth having. Dragon Quest Heroes for example had some weapons that are almost immediately worthless in the game.

I like the combo showcase DVDs that have come with some fighting games. They are often helpful to show a characters strengths, though many games have a challenge mode now which will teach you the rosters' bread and butter techniques

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sun May 22, 2016 1:08 pm

Depends on the game.

Artbooks are nice. As are soundtrack CDs. Depending on the quality, statuettes can be a welcome extra. Not keen on "exclusive" DLC as this almost always becomes available to people who purchase the "regular" edition anyway.

I mean, does anyone really expect that Activision won't make a DLC download out of the COD:MW redux at some point? They won't be able to resist the revenue it would generate....
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun May 22, 2016 1:55 pm

learnedrobb wrote:I mean, does anyone really expect that Activision won't make a DLC download out of the COD:MW redux at some point? They won't be able to resist the revenue it would generate....
If they do we can blame all gamers who are complaining about it being "locked behind a paywall" and other such bollocks. If they keep it as an edition freebie everybody moans. Open it up as a buyable download and everybody moans. It's just proof you can't giver gamers nice things imo.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sun May 22, 2016 3:04 pm

The Beans wrote:
learnedrobb wrote:I mean, does anyone really expect that Activision won't make a DLC download out of the COD:MW redux at some point? They won't be able to resist the revenue it would generate....
If they do we can blame all gamers who are complaining about it being "locked behind a paywall" and other such bollocks. If they keep it as an edition freebie everybody moans. Open it up as a buyable download and everybody moans. It's just proof you can't giver gamers nice things imo.
Agreed.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Sun May 22, 2016 4:49 pm

I don't think most games need 'special editions'. It's a bit pathetic and pointless. But if a game comes with a soundtrack CD, it's always cool. I don't mind artbooks if they're integrated into the packaging well. Steelbooks are flippin' stupid. Christ.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun May 22, 2016 5:07 pm

High quality figures/statues, not the garbage low-detail junk that tends to follow Assassin's Creed, Halo, etc. More like what FFXV is doing with the Playarts Kai figure in the special edition.

Other than that, a fancy box (NOT Steelbook, I hate steelbooks!!) and soundtrack don't go a miss.

Usually really love the special editions put out by Idea Factory, those are filled with fun!

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Sun May 22, 2016 5:15 pm

What I'm quite liking are those limited edition, order-online SEs of certain PC games. I watched LGR's vid of the Hotline Miami SE last week, stuff like that is what I like, rather than these silly, mass-produced SEs for games that don't really need them (like Max Payne 3 with its landfill figurines, or Driver: San Francisco with that crappy car.)

If a person TRULY wants a special edition of a certain game, then this online model seems to be the preferable way, that way we're not getting mass-produced tat and only getting SEs for the games we TRULY want.

I'm not really fussed, I just want the game to be 'special'. But speaking hypocritically, if I see a SE going dirt cheap, I'll grab it for the happy, shiny trinkety tat (Splinter Cell: Conviction, I'm talking to you! SE was summat stupid, cheaper than the preowned vanilla!) :D

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sun May 22, 2016 5:58 pm

Soundtracks and art books. All though not the kind with about 10 pages of rubbish, considering the amount of design drawings that get made.

Saw a friends guild wars special editions and the art books in them were great. Made me want to buy them even though I don't play MMO games.

Got a soft spot for my dead rising 2 zombie.

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun May 22, 2016 6:25 pm

I'm a sucker for steelbooks so that's always a plus for me. :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sun May 22, 2016 6:46 pm

my favourite was the Douglas Adams games, like Bureaucracy and Hitchhiker's Guide, because you got a good laugh, all those pamphlets and whatnot only added to the game, enhanced it. But then again in a way they were kind of necessary, as text adventures were so limited.

Otherwise I guess artwork books. I've had games that have come with all sorts of other things I found I don't really care for, the posters, T-shirts, big maps, knickknacks, stickers, just stuff that is unnecessary. Basically the sh*t they give you with most kickstarter campaigns these days, most I have seen are comprised of useless stuff. Douglas Adams games got it right, useful, often hilarious additions to the game, that you would get a hearty laugh from every time you decided to have another crack at the game.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun May 22, 2016 6:54 pm

JazzFunk wrote:I don't think most games need 'special editions'. It's a bit pathetic and pointless. But if a game comes with a soundtrack CD, it's always cool. I don't mind artbooks if they're integrated into the packaging well. Steelbooks are flippin' stupid. Christ.
agreed, usually a complete waste of money, maybe young children like the little dolls and figurines etc and perhaps a poster but mostly it's needless junk.

the only useful items are those that are game related, like if you get extra in game characters or armour etc or special missions/maps.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun May 22, 2016 7:52 pm

I'm not bothered about a statues, a cool t-shirt is always nice and I wouldn't mind something like a booklet as long as it had something interesting to read, like a detailed history of the game's development, I'm not one to just look at artwork. But I probably wouldn't be tempted to pay a lot more than a regular edition for those things, I'm buying the game for the game at the end of the day.

What I'd prefer most is content, doesn't have to do with the game itself either, having classic games from the same series would be cool, like how Ocarina Of Time came with Windwaker for the Gamecube, saved me having to play Ocarina on the N64 and I can play it on the Wii too.
Pratty's trade list, updated (October 2018)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun May 22, 2016 10:21 pm

Up until a few years ago, I was mad for SE's, LE's, CE's etc. I always used to make sure that every game I bought was the 'top' edition if there was some sort of enhanced release available. Since then, I've had a huge change of heart and I now own very few SE's. Chopped most of them in and replaced with standard copies that take up less space and also netted me a bit of leftover change in the process. I have nothing against an SE but the extra contents usually aren't worth the extra. The last one I bought was Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water for Wii-U and that was only because there was no other physical copy available in the UK. Sure, the bonus bits were nice but I wouldn't have lost sleep over not having them. I've also got the Odin Sphere remaster special edition on pre-order but it is one of my all-time favourites and the package is quite nice artisitically which is what drew me to it.

Game art and music are of huge interest to me so artbooks and soundtracks should in theory get me hyped for an SE but the fact is, both of these will be far from complete in an SE package. Soundtrack CD's are usually just a sample of the full OST and artbooks are often tiny A5 things when a properly comprehensive and complete version is usually available separately. If I enjoy an OST then I will import the complete soundtrack. Same with the art - if it grabs me or is by a favourite artist then I will find the proper book on ebay or Amazon. For this reason, even these two types of bonuses don't attract me anymore.

Steelbooks are nice but I don't care for them too much. They are too easily damaged on shelves and a lot of SE's make the dumb move of including an empty steelbook alongside the regular boxed game...what is the point in this? I don't mind a steelbook version sold separately but I wouldn't buy it if it were drastically more expensive than a standard copy of the same game.

Posters...I don't ever put them up so I don't care about them.

Figurines...as has been touched on, most of them are just trash and this is evident by how many copies of the big-boxed figurine editions of a game tend to be in stock forever until the price is slashed by like 75% to get rid of them. I had the Driver san Francisco edition with the Dodge Challenger R/T static model but the quality wasn't all that. I love the real-life version of the car but if I wanted a model then I'm pretty sure I could buy a far superior one. This specific package retailed for £60 and quickly fell to £20. I sold mine with the game still sealed and all contents barely touched and struggled to get £10 for it :shock: . I do collect figurines/statues in general when money permits but buying one from a dedicated manufacturer will always yield a superior product to the ones that come packaged in SE's.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun May 22, 2016 11:48 pm

I passed on the Fire Emblem special edition because of there were hardly any copies available here, and even at pre-order the pricing was stupidly high.

Recent games where I did get the special edition though were:
Wii Party U - comes with a Wiimote
Star Fox Zero/Guard - both games in a very stylish double case
Bayonetta 2 - came with a copy of the original Bayonetta

So, in summary, for me to a buy a special edition it's either got to come with a free game that I want to play, or a piece of hardware that I'd actually use; and it's probably got to be published by Nintendo too. :D

For PC games I only ever get downloads these days, but if they're throwing in a bunch of DLC and a soundtrack I'd consider stumping up a bit extra. I've somehow ended up with about a hundred soundtracks, at any rate.