Which do you prefer : Monkey Island 1 or 2

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Which is the best Monkey Island of the series :

1 - The Secret of Monkey Island
55%
2 - Monkey Island 2 : LeChuck's Revenge
30%
3 - Curse of Monkey Island
10%
4 - Escape From Monkey Island
5%
5 - Tales From Monkey Island
No votes

Total votes: 20

ncf1

Re: Which do you prefer : Monkey Island 1 or 2

Post by ncf1 » Tue May 24, 2016 5:19 pm

I loved the ending of Monkey Island 2 actually! Had all sorts of conspiracy theories running through my head for weeks. What I didn't like - hated actually - was the bit prior to the ending where LeChuck chased you about... that just wasn't any fun, or at least I could never figure out what to do in a painless fashion.

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Thu May 26, 2016 2:50 am

RetroMartin wrote:I honestly couldnt choose, MI2 was better but had a bit of a stupid ending!
I really like the ending for Monkey Island 2, totally caught me off guard. I thought it was really clever.

That said, my favourite game in the series is the original. A better story, more logical puzzles than the sequel and for the most part it's funnier too.

I've not played Curse of Monkey Island for years, and while I'd like to see a re-release I'm one of those people who doesn't consider it a "true" sequel - I still really want to see how the series SHOULD have ended, and for Ron Gilbert to get another stab at it but I'm not optimistic that'll happen.

I know that might make me a bit of a tool, but hey. I can live with it.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Thu May 26, 2016 5:36 am

I remember my mum, who has no interest in video games, enjoyed playing the third one, Murray the talking skull was her favourite bit.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu May 26, 2016 6:35 pm

LAIS wrote:
RetroMartin wrote:I honestly couldnt choose, MI2 was better but had a bit of a stupid ending!
I really like the ending for Monkey Island 2, totally caught me off guard. I thought it was really clever.

That said, my favourite game in the series is the original. A better story, more logical puzzles than the sequel and for the most part it's funnier too.

I've not played Curse of Monkey Island for years, and while I'd like to see a re-release I'm one of those people who doesn't consider it a "true" sequel - I still really want to see how the series SHOULD have ended, and for Ron Gilbert to get another stab at it but I'm not optimistic that'll happen.

Yeah , I liked the ending to MI2 as well (not as good as MI1's ending though). MI3 tried to copy MI2's finale, with Le Chuck keeping on popping up, but it didn't work as well.

Did RG really have a 'true' ending to the series? Possibly, or maybe he didn't like the endings of 3 and 4? I guess Ron's endings are a bit like the endings of ANH and ESB (Le Chuck gets blown up, Le Chuck is really your relation), so I guess 3 should end with you and Le Chuck teaming up to defeat the TRUE enemy ?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Fri May 27, 2016 2:20 pm

Really enjoyed playing monkey island on xbox360. Found it humorous and not too difficult though the ending for me was a little silly - getting kicked about. I think in true monkey island style the girl you were attempting to rescue should have killed lechuck making your many hours of adventuring a waste of time. (which at one point i thought thats where the story was heading.)

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Sun May 29, 2016 5:14 pm

LAIS wrote:

Was just a bit almost anticlimatic i guess!

I really enjoyed 3. Murray was the greatest character ever

PSN username - MartinPhantom

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Sun May 29, 2016 6:27 pm

First one all the way, love it :)
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image