Which do you prefer : Monkey Island 1 or 2

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Which is the best Monkey Island of the series :

1 - The Secret of Monkey Island
55%
2 - Monkey Island 2 : LeChuck's Revenge
30%
3 - Curse of Monkey Island
10%
4 - Escape From Monkey Island
5%
5 - Tales From Monkey Island
No votes

Total votes: 20

ncf1

Which do you prefer : Monkey Island 1 or 2

Post by ncf1 » Sat May 21, 2016 5:56 pm

I'm going on a bit of an adventure splurge at the moment, and looking at what next to play, and I saw on AdventureGamers that on their best ratings list for PC that the first Monkey Island scored higher than the first. But I thought the second blitzed the first, crushed it like a bug and crumbled and stomped on it, like a big crush crumbling and stomping thing would. So I am curious to see what the consensus is for this series.

And also curious to see how many genuine mental cases there are that choose number 4, Good lord what an abomination.

Antiriad2097

Re: Which do you prefer : Monkey Island 1 or 2

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat May 21, 2016 11:18 pm

At the moment, I have to go with the first, since it's the only one I've played and only very recently. It was ok, decent enough, but wouldn't make my favourites list, not even in the genre. In the interests of pollitical correctness, I shall abstain from voting having not played the others.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun May 22, 2016 2:32 am

The franchise that proved humorous games needn't be funny.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Sun May 22, 2016 3:39 am

The third game is my favourite in the series and I'm hoping that it will appear on GOG (with number 4) some time in the near future.
I think the second game is better than the original, it is funnier and an overall more polished game.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun May 22, 2016 4:42 am

both genuine all time classics, difficult to split them but I will vote for the second, it's very close though.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun May 22, 2016 4:53 am

Right, well I'll rule out 4 straight away, if only for the awful controls and 3d graphics. I also dislike the voice acting (although I realise that I appear to be in a minority here) - for me Guybrush should at least have an English accent.

3 is ok - I'm not a particular fan of the graphical style used or the removal of the SCUMM interface; but it is still funny, has some strong characters and I like the fact that there are easy and hard routes to the finish. But it doesn't get in to the final 2.

2 is very good - beautifully painted backdrops, marvellous music (at least on PC) and some truly memorable bits (eg nailing Stan in the coffin) ,some brilliant dialogue (the talk with the pirates on the beach is hilarious) - but it's extremely difficult, not only because there are many items spread over a huge number of locations but also because many of the puzzles don't make much sense (the spitting contest is particularly infuriating). It's still a good game though (a little weak with the ending though).

As for 1 - it's very funny, lots of memorable people and locations. It's also not overly long (but not short) and with the very odd exception the puzzles can be figured out. Music and graphics not up to the standard of MI2, but still impressive. Definitely the best.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun May 22, 2016 5:26 am

I thought the first game was excellent from start to finish. It was also the breakthrough game for SCUMM; the one that was played by everyone rather than just the adventure games fans.

The second is very good in a more-of-the-same kind of way but has a few weaker moments, notably the rather silly ending.

I think they just left it too long after that. Ron Gilbert's departure presumably played a part but they didn't really feel like continuations of the same story to me.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun May 22, 2016 6:21 am

Matt_B wrote:I thought the first game was excellent from start to finish. It was also the breakthrough game for SCUMM; the one that was played by everyone rather than just the adventure games fans.

The second is very good in a more-of-the-same kind of way but has a few weaker moments, notably the rather silly ending.

I think they just left it too long after that. Ron Gilbert's departure presumably played a part but they didn't really feel like continuations of the same story to me.

It wasn't ; it just used some of the same jokes and characters from the original.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

William S

Post by William S » Sun May 22, 2016 10:01 am

Monkey Island 2 will always be in my top 5. Love the first one too, but it doesn't make my top 10.
ImageImageImage

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sun May 22, 2016 2:38 pm

hehe.. whomever chose MI 4. Good one. ;)

(tonight I shall be praying for humanity. This is not a good sign, the end may be near.)

:P

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun May 22, 2016 3:43 pm

paranoid marvin wrote: 2 is very good - beautifully painted backdrops, marvellous music (at least on PC) and some truly memorable bits (eg nailing Stan in the coffin) ,some brilliant dialogue (the talk with the pirates on the beach is hilarious) - but it's extremely difficult, not only because there are many items spread over a huge number of locations but also because many of the puzzles don't make much sense (the spitting contest is particularly infuriating). It's still a good game though (a little weak with the ending though).

As for 1 - it's very funny, lots of memorable people and locations. It's also not overly long (but not short) and with the very odd exception the puzzles can be figured out. Music and graphics not up to the standard of MI2, but still impressive. Definitely the best.
Matt_B wrote:I thought the first game was excellent from start to finish. It was also the breakthrough game for SCUMM; the one that was played by everyone rather than just the adventure games fans.

Yep, I agree with the both of you. Always thought that some of the puzzles in MI:2 were a little off(having some items in the background that you could click on and some you couldn't, for example), and I think the storyline wasn't as good. Okay, they tried to do something different. It's still good though - and it upped the graphics(I've only played the Amiga version - and on floppies - arrggggghhhhh! Disk swapping!). Totally agree about the ending to MI:2 - I was like WTF? It was a not only weird, but a bit of a cop out.

MI:1 is superb. Wacky and still my favourite. It has the best storyline and characters. Great stuff.

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Mon May 23, 2016 10:22 am

I love the series and I think number 3 is my favourite. The art style, the voices and Murray clinch it for me! There's no denying that 1 & 2 are great games, and personally I think 4 is better than it's reputation suggests. I've just gotten round to downloading Tales and I'm enjoying them too. But, yeah, number 3 for me!
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon May 23, 2016 10:49 am

I remember well before I had an amiga ( too expensive at the time ) borrowing a friends with Sensi, Champ man, and Monkey island. he was on holiday for a week and I remember loving the first one. it may not be the best in the series but its the one I love the most.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue May 24, 2016 11:03 am

Katzkatz wrote:
It's still good though - and it upped the graphics(I've only played the Amiga version - and on floppies - arrggggghhhhh! Disk swapping!). Totally agree about the ending to MI:2 - I was like WTF? It was a not only weird, but a bit of a cop out.

MI:1 is superb. Wacky and still my favourite. It has the best storyline and characters. Great stuff.
My favourite was Monkey Island 1 as well - it felt like a real adventure with exotic locations (amazing for its time). 11 floppy disks for Monkey Island 2 was insane (plus the saved game disk), even with an extra disk drive.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Tue May 24, 2016 4:38 pm

I honestly couldnt choose, MI2 was better but had a bit of a stupid ending!

PSN username - MartinPhantom