Is 'Middle Tier' gaming on the way out?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Matt_B

Re: Is 'Middle Tier' gaming on the way out?

Post by Matt_B » Mon May 23, 2016 6:32 am

gunbladelad wrote:
Matt_B wrote:Is 83% on Rotten Tomatoes "middling" these days? I thought it was pretty good
If you believe the "ratings" system at my work, anything below 90% is atrocious... :lol:
I'd still think it's a pretty good score in the context of movies, where universal acclaim can be quite rare and - for most reviewers at least - a middling movie will be score at 50%. They've certainly not gone the way of video game reviews where anything below 70% might as well be zero.

Anyway, as Tregard said, it's best considered a spinoff from the Marvel universe - piggybacking all the publicity that that gets - than something that became a hit from its own boot straps. In video game terms I suppose that makes it a Paper Mario or a Halo Wars. Such games have their merits, but it's still a far cry from the days when the big publishers had dozens of disparate franchises on their books where the games could pay their way with sales in the hundreds of thousands.

merman

Post by merman » Mon May 23, 2016 11:35 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Is Deadpool the best example given the middling reviews it got?
Deadpool the game got middling reviews. Now middle-tier priced/discounted as a download and alright if you like that sort of thing.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

ErronBlackMKX

Post by ErronBlackMKX » Mon May 23, 2016 6:15 pm

Middle Tier gaming will always provide cool games and releases that are relatively unknown outside the major circles. I think it depends on if they're a 'cult game'