What would you want from Sega these days?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

I would want (more options)

OutRun 3
18%
Virtua Fighter 6
5%
Panzer Dragoon Drei
7%
Space Harrier 3
7%
Wonder Boy 3D Adventure
5%
An actually good Sonic game
8%
More HD remakes of their old games (OutRun HD, SoR 2 HD, Sonic 1-3 HD, etc)
11%
More compliations of their old games (Sonic collection, VF collection, OutRun collection, etc)
13%
Fresh and exciting new IPs
10%
To get back into the hardware biz/Something else
16%

Total votes: 61

outdated_gamer

Re: What would you want from Sega these days?

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri May 20, 2016 1:17 pm

The Beans wrote:I'd rather see new IP than new or remastered versions of stuff like Outrun and Space Harrier. They're overrated in the extreme.
Why overrated, though? They both were pushing graphics to the next level when they came out and had some great playability to boot. OutRun in particular is basically endlessly re-playlable thanks to it's branching path structure which makes every run different.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri May 20, 2016 2:15 pm

New Sega rally and Sega soccer slam 2

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri May 20, 2016 2:30 pm

Well, there exists one issue in bringing back OutRun and that is expired car licenses. The exclusive rights holder for the Ferrari brand is MS and bringing out a OutRun compilation would mean Sega would have to pay MS good money for the Ferrari license. Then again, they could make a deal with MS to make it Xbox/Windows PC exclusive in exchange. There certainly are ways to work around that, I mean just look at Rockstar's games - all of them have made-up cars that may bear some resemblance to the real ones but there is no licensing issues present and they save up on money that would go for that too.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri May 20, 2016 2:37 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
The Beans wrote:I'd rather see new IP than new or remastered versions of stuff like Outrun and Space Harrier. They're overrated in the extreme.
Why overrated, though? They both were pushing graphics to the next level when they came out and had some great playability to boot. OutRun in particular is basically endlessly re-playlable thanks to it's branching path structure which makes every run different.
I wasn't interested when they came out. Then I wasn't interested again when I got into retro gaming. I'm certainly not interested in them now. They're dull games that I've never liked. A lot of Sega's stuff falls into that category for me. Nearly all of it in fact.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri May 20, 2016 2:54 pm

The Beans wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:
I wasn't interested when they came out. Then I wasn't interested again when I got into retro gaming. I'm certainly not interested in them now. They're dull games that I've never liked. A lot of Sega's stuff falls into that category for me. Nearly all of it in fact.
Well to each their own although I do find that view odd. :wink:

I was still a bit too young when they originally came out to really experience and appreciate them, but no doubt I'd be all over them if I saw them in the Arcades. When I eventually played the Arcade machines, they didn't impress me that much but by that time we already had more visually impressive games. But what I really like about them is that they manage to be very (re)playlable despite being so simplistic. The very definition of "easy to pick up, hard to master" Arcade philosophy of old.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri May 20, 2016 3:57 pm

JamesC wrote:A new Outrun would be nice but I think there'd be a temptation to over-complicate it. 2006 was just about perfect - just HD that.
Well there was the Outrun Online game which was sort of the same thing as a HD version but it is no more thanks to the beautiful world of expired licensing deals. I didn't manage to grab it in time but I did at least manage to get Afterburner Climax before that too was pulled due to expired aircraft manufacturer licenses.

Coast 2 Coast WAS perfect though. Never have I enjoyed throwing a virtual car around so much on a screen and the remixed music is absolutely stunning.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.