What would you want from Sega these days?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

I would want (more options)

OutRun 3
18%
Virtua Fighter 6
5%
Panzer Dragoon Drei
7%
Space Harrier 3
7%
Wonder Boy 3D Adventure
5%
An actually good Sonic game
8%
More HD remakes of their old games (OutRun HD, SoR 2 HD, Sonic 1-3 HD, etc)
11%
More compliations of their old games (Sonic collection, VF collection, OutRun collection, etc)
13%
Fresh and exciting new IPs
10%
To get back into the hardware biz/Something else
16%

Total votes: 61

outdated_gamer

Re: What would you want from Sega these days?

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu May 19, 2016 6:05 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:Outrun 3 for me, I would actually use a different name though. Although the game was average I always liked the Outrun Europa name.

So Outrun Europa, each level a different european country. add in porsche and lamborghini and create a whole concept around it. Team racing online where you choose to be Ferrari, Lamborghini or porsche and race in teams.

A new Wonderboy, for me they should look at mario 3d world as an idea, you need all the different suits to find all the hidden secrets etc. This would translate perfectly to a wonderboy concept where he can turn into all the different animals to find secrets.

They should also do a new fighters megamix and add in Golden axe, altered beast and streets of rage characters.
These are pretty good ideas. A OutRun game that would let you speed across European country roads and highways in traffic could be the deal. Wonder Boy could indeed make a comeback and take some inspiration after the more recent Nintendo platformers whilst having a unique twist to it. And Sega could easily make their own "party brawler" just like they did their own "kart racer" which was rather good.

Also, since rail shooters got a bit of spotlight again with Star Fox Zero, a new high quality Panzer Dragoon or Space Harrier game could fall on fertile ground. They did make Crimson Dragon on the XBO but it was not really part of the Dragoon series and also not all that good.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu May 19, 2016 6:13 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:Has Turbo Outrun and Outrunners (arcade versions) never appeared on a compilation?

Its a good thing that MAME exists at least for these. Would be nice to have an ultimate Outrun compilation though as you said.
They didn't, so it would really make sense to make a OutRun compilation. With a bit of a visual makeover (filters, higher resolution) and some online support (score boards, multi-player), they would be as good as ever.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Thu May 19, 2016 6:43 pm

Didn't have to think about this one at all - new console all the way.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Thu May 19, 2016 7:04 pm

Gameswise Skies Of Arcadia 2

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu May 19, 2016 7:04 pm

From the poll:

- Outrun 3 (though the Outrun 2 series is an immense act to follow!)
- Virtua Fighter 6
- Panzer Dragoon

Personal wishlist:

- Complete compilation of Outrun games
- Proper emulation/re-releases of Saturn games that just cost too much money to buy i.e. PDS
- A new Fighters Megamix, updated to include the complete original roster + more Sega characters
- A new Fighting Vipers
- Some sort of 'complete' HOTD collection on a disc (first one was apparently 'lost' and I have the others scattered across various systems)
- Guaranteed localisations of all Yakuza games
- New 2D HD Streets of Rage and Golden Axe in a gritty style (Golden Axe could be all grown-up and brutal like Conan)
- A re-release of Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder for PSN/XBLA

So not much then...
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu May 19, 2016 8:46 pm

Would love to see phantasy stars 1-4 remade as god intended, awesome games.

Eat your nans pants

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu May 19, 2016 10:11 pm

How about VR Out Run? The first two games took things to the next level graphically for the time they came out, so that'd perhaps be the logical next step?

For a good Sonic game they could just sign up the guys who made Freedom Planet and give them a free rein with the IP.

Other than those two though, I'd prefer them to try new IP rather than resurrect old ones whose time has passed. The failure rate from such enterprises seems very high and it's often the fans who are clamouring the loudest that'll turn the harshest should the new game fail to deliver on its promises. HD re-makes, 3DS classics and games for the Mega Drive Classics collection on Steam wouldn't go amiss though.

I'm not sure what Sega could bring to the hardware business these days, as pretty much everyone is running on the same underlying kit and it's all about platform exclusives and the on-line experience. A high quality retro-themed handheld would be probably the biggest gap in the market they could reasonably exploit.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri May 20, 2016 1:40 am

Matt_B wrote:HD re-makes, 3DS classics and games for the Mega Drive Classics collection on Steam wouldn't go amiss though
Why stick with Steam. Get the old stuff out there playable on anything, get it so no matter what device I have, I can install a Sega emulator and play any of the games I've bought, with online save game and save state capability so I can pick up where I left off no matter what I have to hand to play on. For the older stuff, let's also have them run in a browser so I can even play on other systems that aren't mine.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri May 20, 2016 2:36 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Matt_B wrote:HD re-makes, 3DS classics and games for the Mega Drive Classics collection on Steam wouldn't go amiss though
Why stick with Steam. Get the old stuff out there playable on anything, get it so no matter what device I have, I can install a Sega emulator and play any of the games I've bought, with online save game and save state capability so I can pick up where I left off no matter what I have to hand to play on. For the older stuff, let's also have them run in a browser so I can even play on other systems that aren't mine.
There's no need to stick with Steam, it's just that that's the one I've got. The more platforms they can bring it to, the merrier.

Also, the recent update giving Steam Workshop support means developers can now release custom ROMs on it, and there's already nearly 400 of them on there. I'm not sure that they could easily bring that to other platforms, but it'd be good if they could.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Fri May 20, 2016 6:54 am

Had to vote for something else, as I don't want a HD Remake but Streets Of Rage 4, Golden Axe 4, a new classic Shinobi....that kind of thing.

William S

Post by William S » Fri May 20, 2016 7:28 am

Megamixer wrote:A re-release of Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder for PSN/XBLA
This.

And some more collections. A Master System collection would be great.
And yeah, a new console...
ImageImageImage

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Fri May 20, 2016 8:06 am

A new Wonderboy (doesn't have to be 3D) or Fantasy Zone (brilliant, simple, fun gameplay) would be my picks.

A new Outrun would be nice but I think there'd be a temptation to over-complicate it. 2006 was just about perfect - just HD that.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri May 20, 2016 8:12 am

I'd rather see new IP than new or remastered versions of stuff like Outrun and Space Harrier. They're overrated in the extreme.

A modern version of Fantasy Zone is a good shout by whoever it was. I'd go for some of that for sure. Apart from that there's only Chu Chu Rocket and Phantasy Star Online I'd be interested in as a remaster or update from Sega.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri May 20, 2016 8:24 am

Planet Harriers should have a conversion, and they should get on and release the 3DS overhaul of Power Drift before everyone forgets who they are.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri May 20, 2016 1:14 pm

Matt_B wrote:How about VR Out Run? The first two games took things to the next level graphically for the time they came out, so that'd perhaps be the logical next step?

For a good Sonic game they could just sign up the guys who made Freedom Planet and give them a free rein with the IP.

Other than those two though, I'd prefer them to try new IP rather than resurrect old ones whose time has passed. The failure rate from such enterprises seems very high and it's often the fans who are clamouring the loudest that'll turn the harshest should the new game fail to deliver on its promises. HD re-makes, 3DS classics and games for the Mega Drive Classics collection on Steam wouldn't go amiss though.

I'm not sure what Sega could bring to the hardware business these days, as pretty much everyone is running on the same underlying kit and it's all about platform exclusives and the on-line experience. A high quality retro-themed handheld would be probably the biggest gap in the market they could reasonably exploit.
VR support could be added but making it a VR exclusive would be relegating it to a small audience.

You're right that companies can often mess up classic franchises but as games like Star Fox Zero and new Doom and the successful kick starter for Shenmue 3 prove, there is certainly a sizable enough audience for ressurecting the classics of yesteryear. I don't see a reason why a new, high-quality OutRun game that also progressed the franchise in some meaningful way could not find an audience these days. After all, isn't speeding in the traffic and not being punished for it by jail time or death as appealing as always? :wink:

You could say games like GTA suffice to many for these urges but they're not focused on just this one thing neither is the delivery the best it gets. Playing OutRun 2006 and the original OutRun today, they're just as fun and re-playlable as they always were. The only issue I could see with a new title would be people evaluating it as not worthy of a full price, but who says we can't have a good game that's made on a smaller budget? Indie devs are proving this all the time.

You're right about the hardware though, way too risky business. Sega know this all too well.