Games ruined by cheat knowledge

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

djcarlos

Re: Games ruined by cheat knowledge

Post by djcarlos » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:58 am

Freestyler wrote:Final Fantasy series are the only games I know that actually force you to use a Players Guide in order to get the actual game you paid for out of them. The so-called "Secrets" in the game are completely impossible to discover through regular trial and error play.

Dodge the Lightning 200 times in Thunder Plains?!? How the censored HELL are you supposed to know you have to do that without some sort of precognition? Or perhaps the handy £12.99 OFFICIAL Players Guide that's so often bundled with these bastard games.

:evil:
Plenty of games like that nowadays....the GTA series in particular.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:38 pm

Just give me a fair crack at the whip is all I ask. Games shouldn't have undiscoverable magazine-published "Cheats" any more in order to prolong their lifespan.
Games have finally achieved throwaway status, and should be developed as such.

Most of them anyway.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:10 pm

Freestyler wrote:Just give me a fair crack at the whip is all I ask. Games shouldn't have undiscoverable magazine-published "Cheats" any more in order to prolong their lifespan.

Most of them anyway.
i really don't agree, how can a guide/cheat be a probelm if its adding to the lifespan of the game? find me a person who did not enjoy big head mode on goldeneye

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:49 am

retrojc wrote:
Freestyler wrote:Just give me a fair crack at the whip is all I ask. Games shouldn't have undiscoverable magazine-published "Cheats" any more in order to prolong their lifespan.

Most of them anyway.
i really don't agree, how can a guide/cheat be a probelm if its adding to the lifespan of the game? find me a person who did not enjoy big head mode on goldeneye
My objection is more about things in-game that are obviously there to be found/played but there's literally no chance of discovering them without a separate purchasable "Guide." Thankfully the internet has all but destroyed this business model (seeing as all it takes is one person to blog and the world knows) Guides still exist mostly because of their "exclusive" artwork etc.

I don't mind the comedy unlockables such as Bighead modes, different costumes, whatever. They don't add anything specifically to the game. New "unlockable" vehicles in a game does however, for example. And it's unfair to have been effectively charged extra for stuff they've already paid for.

A bit like the multiplayer mode in Resident Evil 5. It's already ON the disc, but you have to pay extra to "unlock" it. Effectively Capcom double-dipping their loyal customers.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:27 am

oh, i see... i for one don't mind about dlc, even if its on the disc already ... i dunno why i don't mind, but companies have to make money.

THis is also a assumption, but i think microsoft may demand some form of dlc on the bigger games?

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:36 pm

retrojc wrote:oh, i see... i for one don't mind about dlc, even if its on the disc already ... i dunno why i don't mind, but companies have to make money.

THis is also a assumption, but i think microsoft may demand some form of dlc on the bigger games?
You're probably right actually, since there are rumblings that Microsoft might well have top scrap their Xbox Live membership fee. Since it can't legally allow the BBC iPlayer and still charge.money for a subscription it's one or the other. Nintendo and Sony both have the iPlayer on their service and Sky (while it's good) still charges a separate fee if you don't have the standard TV subscription already.

My guess is Microsoft will drop Xbox Live Gold membership charges and greatly increase their Micropayment model instead. Just look at how much pointless Avatar crap you can already buy. My guess is they're testing the waters even now.

Episodic gaming approaches ever closer...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:42 pm

Freestyler wrote:[there are rumblings that Microsoft might well have top scrap their Xbox Live membership fee. Since it can't legally allow the BBC iPlayer and still charge.money for a subscription it's one or the other.
Nonsense.

You don't have to pay for XBL, Silver membership is free.

Gold membership just gives online multiplayer and a few other non-essential perks.

Messaging, XBL downloads etc all work fine on free Silver membership, there's no reason why iPlayer shouldn't sit with that. Its not like it does anything great anyway, its just free content that can be streamed on any device, or downloaded in HD on PC.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:19 am

Freestyler wrote:and Sky (while it's good) still charges a separate fee if you don't have the standard TV subscription already.
Even if you do have the standard TV subscription, Sky still charge you if you want full functionality out of the Sky Player. The only stuff you get for free (if you've only got a standard TV subsciption ie. no Sky Multiroom) is the 'on demand' service.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:46 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Freestyler wrote:[there are rumblings that Microsoft might well have top scrap their Xbox Live membership fee. Since it can't legally allow the BBC iPlayer and still charge.money for a subscription it's one or the other.
Nonsense.

You don't have to pay for XBL, Silver membership is free.

Gold membership just gives online multiplayer and a few other non-essential perks.

Messaging, XBL downloads etc all work fine on free Silver membership, there's no reason why iPlayer shouldn't sit with that. Its not like it does anything great anyway, its just free content that can be streamed on any device, or downloaded in HD on PC.
It's not the fault of Microsoft, but the way the UK License fee is collected.

By Law the BBC can't "offer" their fee service to companies that also charge a subscription. Exactly why it can't offer it for Sky subscribers, but can on the web. You pay your ISP for a connection, not for content. Virgin get around it by having a separate agreement with the BBC.

It's all stupid as it's entirely possible to stream BBC iPlayer to your Xbox 360 via your PC, and since the BBC are also transcoding their content in .wmv format it's actually sending the signal out in the Xbox's native language! (Note; the BBC didn't at first, which was one reason Microsoft were quoted as saying they "didn't want it.")

Britpop95

Post by Britpop95 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:42 am

Entering cheat codes/passwords at the menu screen is a little too late 80's/early 90's for my liking.

As I get older I become a better gamer so resorting to infinite lives/ammo etc isn't necessary. In saying that if I do get particularly frustrated at a certain point in the game I won't hesitate in nipping off down YouTube way for a walkthrough.

Which, I suppose could be argued is just a modern method of old. :?
Into the Wonderful

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:00 pm

I'm just wondering how Project Natal will make entering cheats into games any more interesting:

*Starts Milo and Kate
*Aims bottom at screen and shakes it
*Milo now has unlimited money