Games ruined by cheat knowledge

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Sureshot

Games ruined by cheat knowledge

Post by Sureshot » Sat May 12, 2007 2:53 pm

Whether they're tools to aid pointless methods of game completion, adding an extra dimension to the experience, or offering an unfair advantage over other players, cheats will dwell ever-present within the dark patches of gaming's map of voyage.

However, this topic isn't primarily to rant about or thrash out the good and bad points of cheats, it's first and foremost to discuss games you've had ruined by cheats, due to your acquired knowledge of them and co-inciding lack of willpower in stopping yourself from using them.

For example: Super Mario Brothers. Quite simply, I've not been able to enjoy the inaugural adventures of the great mistachioed plumb-king properly, ever since the day it was introduced to me. The truth is, this isn't actually because I'm particularly bad at it or anything (honest), but instead due to the fact that in my younger years, my preliminary experiences of the game were of people playing it, me watching, and them showing me almost every cheat and shortcut under the sun due to their previous expertise.

When I get to level 1-2 on Super Mario Brothers and start to navigate through it, do you think I tackle every baddie on the way, carefully use the lifts to hop over the gaping chasms below, dodge between the fly-trap-infested pipes and safely sidle into the pipe at the end? Heck no! I charge my arse through the first section, forgetting about looking for anything interesting (because I know my friends never showed me anything there before), head directly for the first opportunity to crash my way through the roof and proceed to hold down that run key while pressing jump every now and again to hop between the ceiling sections. You can forget that 'pipe for lamers' down below too - I'm heading for the warp zone, baby.

The problem is, it's most likely that I will never be able to stop myself from tackling the level this way. If I do attempt to hold back the urge, this only ever results in a feeling of inadequatequacy overcoming me; it's as if I want the game to realise that I know about its every dirty secret and I'm going to make damn sure I flaunt this fact in its face.

More games which I suffer the same issues with are Super Mario Brothers 3 (someone say they needed Warp Whistles?), NBA Jam TE (this code's for unlimited turbo? Sweet deal!) and Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 (even a million cries of YEEHAW won't stop me...)

Which games have you guys had cruelly spoiled in this way?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat May 12, 2007 3:04 pm

Doom was ruined for me because of finding out the cheat code, never was the same after that !

Dont use cheats now for games, (eg infinite lives etc) but i do look for walkthroughs and only use them if i'm stuck at some point for ages i just cant continue.

daverage

Post by daverage » Sat May 12, 2007 3:06 pm

Duke Nuke 'Em 3D
Got stuck so used a cheat, then never stopped using them!!
Andrzej 'daverage' Marczewski
http://www.yetanotherreviewsite.co.uk
Games reviews written by gamers for gamers

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Sat May 12, 2007 4:13 pm

daverage wrote:Duke Nuke 'Em 3D
Got stuck so used a cheat, then never stopped using them!!
What was the cheat for then??
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

daverage

Post by daverage » Sat May 12, 2007 4:33 pm

Just got stuck so used god mode lol
Andrzej 'daverage' Marczewski
http://www.yetanotherreviewsite.co.uk
Games reviews written by gamers for gamers

Dan

Post by Dan » Sat May 12, 2007 4:53 pm

GTA san andreas for me, started to get a bit hard later on so used health cheat then weapon then armour. now i cant play it without them its as if my hands are posessed and put the cheat in as soon as my energy gets a bit low...

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sat May 12, 2007 6:13 pm

I use Cheats in VC to check mods are working, I get my Ideal cars when I put in thelastride or gettherefast or somthing like that
Watching you sleep since 1990

seabass

Post by seabass » Sat May 12, 2007 6:25 pm

Once you cheat, you never go back...

I only cheat when a game seriously fustrates me and/or I lose paitence. I don't mind spending lots of time on a game (100 hours or so) if it warrents that amount of time (mostlt RPG's). But I do want to play other games and so there comes a time when I want to finishg quickly and so I cheat.

As for fustrating me, well I like a good challenege, but when I can't finish stage X for whatever reason, then I will cheat.

My main aim in playing games to to enjoy them and if I have to cheat to do so, then I will. I don't care if you regard me as someone with low skill, I don't play games to show off or impress people (though if I do well, I will boast lol) instead I play games for my benefit and if it means getting infinite health, money, etc then so be it.

To me, no game has been spoit for me cheating. I even sometimes enjoy a game more because of cheating (not so strange sounding)

I might have felt if I had more paitence, I could have gotten the result I wanted, but in the end, I still have fun...after all if I wasn't, then I wouldn't be playing the game.

I will tell you the game I cheat the most on is Neverwinter Nights (first and second) and Morrowind: Oblivion.
I got love for you if were born in the 80's...yeah!

jazzmaverick

Post by jazzmaverick » Sun May 13, 2007 7:19 am

Never, i repeat NEVER cheat! It's soul sucking, and will destroy your games! You are only cheating yourself, ripping yourself off, shortening your game's life-span and going to hell.

I should clarify that www.gamefaqs.com is most definitely NOT in my bookmarks... definitely. :shock:

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Sun May 13, 2007 10:58 am

I ruined Elite on the Speccy by modifying the save game files to give ridiculous amounts of cash, missiles, storage space etc etc - one you can artificially change your status to Elite what's the point.

I did have some fun loading up with 255 missiles (maybe not that many), targeting an asteroid, then firing a missile off, targeting that, firing it, and so on - you ended up with great arcs of missiles chasing each other (in s-l-o-w motion)

I wish I hadn't done this as I was doing pretty well at the game, thne lost all interest in it.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sun May 13, 2007 11:34 am

I think the turning point for me came after I rented Cool Spot on the Mega Drive a long time back and realised how utterly pointless it was to use the level select code to get through it before I had to take it back. Since then, I have scarcely used any cheats at all.

There's obviously a big difference between the kinds of cheats you can get, though. I'm absolutely fine with those you toil with blood, sweat and tears to achieve in the likes of Goldeneye, which generally add more to the game than anything else. Cheat codes which give invulnerability and the like are really just a waste of your own time, and don't even get me started on people who use hacks in online games... 'sad individuals' about sums them up.

davrho

Post by davrho » Sun May 13, 2007 3:40 pm

I never have used a cheat but bought a few of the walk throughs. I dont see the point of spending 75euro on a game then cheating to finish it as soon as possible. It is a great feeling to finish a game.

RetroReserve

Post by RetroReserve » Mon May 14, 2007 5:13 am

I try not to cheat on games I've bought. The worst I'll do is consult a walkthrough, usually for RPGs, if I don't know what to do next.

The only other times I've used cheats such as god modes and levels selects was when I used to rent out games. Once I'd played them a bit, if I decided that I wasn't going to buy it, I'd use level cheats and weapons cheats just to see everything the game has to offer before I returned it.

James Bond

Post by James Bond » Mon May 14, 2007 5:24 am

I cheated a lot on GTA Vice City, I would not have completed the game without it, especially the huge shoot out and the end of the game (Scarface style).
My HD DVD/Blu Ray Collection:

http://romeos.dvdaf.com/owned

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Mon May 14, 2007 6:01 am

Unlocking things in Oblivion using lockpicks is really repetetive and annoying, so sometimes i would go into the console and use the 'unlock' command.

Unfortunately I found it a lot less satisfying to do it this way, and it does not increase your security stats so it's actually self-defeating in some ways.