Why did they take that out?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Megamixer

Why did they take that out?

Post by Megamixer » Mon May 16, 2016 10:12 am

Doesn't it annoy you when you play a sequel and a really useful or cool feature/item has been removed? To give a few examples of mine:

Spyro the Dragon series - the sideways roll was taken out of the sequels. Incredibly useful but did the devs think it made taking down the enemies too easy?

GTA series - being able to shoot fuel tanks in San Andreas to destroy vehicles instantly was an absolute riot (especially when using a shotgun at the side of a high speed freeway). Again, did this make the game too easy in the eyes of the developers? Newer GTA's make you cause fuel leaks then require you to shoot the fuel to start a fire...more realistic I suppose but not as fun!

Medievil series - they took my favourite two weapons out for the sequel: the large blue magic sword and the dragon armour. Not a game-breaker but it annoyed me (good job the game itself was still a treat).

Pretty sure there are countless others. What does everybody else think?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

joefish

Re: Why did they take that out?

Post by joefish » Mon May 16, 2016 11:23 am

Definitely with you on the Spyro roll - an awful decision. Just shows a lack of imagination when it comes to giving the baddies more interesting ways of attacking.

Also, my second biggest bugbear - taking the scope sight away from the pistol between HALO and HALO 2. In the original, every weapon had its uses (the pistol as an in-a-pinch sniper mode); weapon power was matched against ammo capacity; and choice of weapon was always a careful balance, right up to the end. The sequel unbalanced everything and turned the game, like Doom, into just a silly hunt for the bigger and badder armament all the time.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Mon May 16, 2016 11:33 am

Force Unleashed 2 on 360. It felt like they'd taken half the game out. Completed it in about three hours or something! No wonder they had to tack on the Endor DLC as a kind of apology.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Mon May 16, 2016 9:05 pm

JazzFunk wrote:Force Unleashed 2 on 360. It felt like they'd taken half the game out. Completed it in about three hours or something! No wonder they had to tack on the Endor DLC as a kind of apology.
:lol: To add insult to an already short game, it only had about three levels! It basically makes you play them backwards at the end of the game.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue May 17, 2016 9:16 am

Any racing game that has vehicle customisation tools then leaves them out of later entries in the series.
Need For Speed, I'm looking at you...

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue May 17, 2016 8:02 pm

Halo 5 - Local co-op.

About as close to sacrilegious as gaming can get :|

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue May 17, 2016 8:07 pm

Playability from Atari Jaguar games.

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue May 17, 2016 9:46 pm

The spray painting mechanic from Jet Set Radio.
Probably to make JSR Future a bit easier.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed May 18, 2016 12:40 pm

The individual story modes for each character in Soul Calibur V - just one long story mode that doesn't give you a choice who you play as, bah. Shame because other than that it's my favourite Soul Calibur game since the first one.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed May 18, 2016 2:06 pm

The blood in No Mercy PAL edition, I believe they removed it when they replaced the original faulty save carts. So unnecessary, it was far from gory, and it was silly they kept the first blood match in, and the wrestlers reacted to blood that was now invisible.
Rayne wrote:Halo 5 - Local co-op.

About as close to sacrilegious as gaming can get :|
Similarly I was disappointed that they never included bots in the Goldeneye remake local multiplayer, I suppose the original didn't have bots either but I would have thought including bots would be a given.
Pratty's trade list, updated (October 2018)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed May 18, 2016 3:47 pm

stvd wrote:The spray painting mechanic from Jet Set Radio.
Probably to make JSR Future a bit easier.
I actually found this hugely improved the gameplay. It made everything flow way better, imo.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu May 19, 2016 6:04 pm

Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge 2 - They put in checkpoints rather than racing for position in the first game. I actually thought that was a lot more fun, racing for position rather than getting to the checkpoint in under a certain time. I think that it did come back for the third game, though?

Mario Kart - the "feather" option. Had to be used the right way - some tracks it didn't work very well on - and it could also be used for defence against green shells and banana skins.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu May 19, 2016 7:26 pm

The console in Baldurs Gate Enhaced. Why? Absolutely no reason to take this out.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

RetrolixusMcD

Post by RetrolixusMcD » Thu May 19, 2016 9:05 pm

the rather excellent soul edge quest mode on soul calibur which was watered down rubbish in soul calibur 2...which the only redeeming feature was being able to play as link on the cube version!

also just sometimes the lack of effort that goes into making the sequels, most developers have been guilty of that since the 8 bit computer days, nothing worse than milking a cash cow...cough cough FIFA anyone!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu May 19, 2016 11:17 pm

RetrolixusMcD wrote:the rather excellent soul edge quest mode on soul calibur which was watered down rubbish in soul calibur 2...which the only redeeming feature was being able to play as link on the cube version!
I quite liked SCIII's story mode to be fair. It was fairly linear I suppose but it did have some choices to make and secret battles depending on your performance (Nightterror!). I also enjoyed the 'Chronicles of the Sword' mode even if it was a bit of a crappy RTS sort of thing. Still got a fair bit out of it though I thought.

SCIV and V were barren in comparison.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.