selling up

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: selling up

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed May 18, 2016 9:00 am

It's a scary thought that's entered my mind a couple of times over the last year or so, and I still don't know if I could...

My MD collection alone has been valued at around £2500, but at the same time I've been telling myself that if I DID sell, it'd only be the Sega and handheld stuff I'd keep. It's a dilemma!

Sold off my CD collection no problem last year (Music Magpie), but I still regret it occasionally - eighteen years worth of music, sold off to pay one month's rent. Copied them all to the laptop and backed them up on an external HD before selling them, so that's all fine, but it's not exactly something that can be done with a lot of games.

If I was sensible, I'd sell the lot of it and just keep the PSP (which has pretty much all of my favourite games on its Memory Stick anyway), but I'm not sensible, so it's the hoarder's life for me (for now).
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed May 18, 2016 9:12 am

AceGrace wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I sold off some Saturn shooters to fund my first half decent camera lens and a few more games recently to fund a new camera body.
I don't miss any of the games I sold, particularly as some of them are playable on my mame cabinet I purchased a couple of months back.
I keep on meaning to trim down my collection, but it's my board games that take up the most space at the moment.
Where did you get your cab from?

Was it local to you?
no he was based in london but delivered to my door.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed May 18, 2016 10:00 am

Only stuff I've trimmed down recently was some of my old hardware - such as my PC Engine Duo (as I now have a Duo R) and my old PC Engine GT (which I loved, but had no need for anymore). I also sold one of my Street Fighter Limited Editions as it took up so much room and I never used it outside of playing Street Fighter 4 but I've got that on PS4 now.

I'm now just focusing on buying stuff (new or retro) that I actually want to play, and only buying stuff when I've finished some of my backlog.. Else I'm just adding to a never ending pile of games that never get touched. I've also sworn off getting any big box limited editions, as they just take up space and generally never offer anything extra in terms of gameplay experience.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed May 18, 2016 10:06 am

ShadowMan wrote:I've also sworn off getting any big box limited editions, as they just take up space and generally never offer anything extra in terms of gameplay experience.
Ugh yeah. I went a little overboard on Fallout 4 and got the Pipboy edition and the mini nuke collection. They take up so much room! And I have all the games digitally anyway.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri May 20, 2016 12:11 pm

I keep saying this, but I really need to get my Dreamcast up for sale. Once I've retrieved them from my parents the master system and 2600 will go as well. Also a game.com but can't imagine anyone wanting that....

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri May 20, 2016 12:49 pm

Negative Creep wrote:Also a game.com but can't imagine anyone wanting that....
Depends what games/hardware you got

Still need to get a "pro" version

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri May 20, 2016 2:13 pm

It's only the original version, boxed with the two pack in games. No idea what it's actually worth, if anything at all

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri May 20, 2016 4:07 pm

I've pretty much always been very selective about the games I own. I basically stick to SNES, PS1 and PS2 with a smattering of other mainly Nintendo stuff.

I did buy a MD last year and barely used it so sold it. I also have a DC that I might get rid of but I absolutely adore about 3 of the games. The rest I can take or leave.

I used to have 280 PS2 games and had a lot of fun buying and playing them but most have gone now with a few more to follow.

I tend to keep to games I adore mixed in with a few I want to try and of course some newer stuff too.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri May 20, 2016 7:58 pm

All I have left now is the 360 which we use for our gaming, a Cube for multiplayer game nights, a few G&Ws in a bag in the cupboard, and my only real thing I want to keep, an Arcade cab with the icade 60 in 1 80s classics in it. Everything else is pretty disposable.
As I mentioned previously, I enjoy the books/mags/DVDs on games more now and collect those, but would love a MAME unit at some stage if room (and the other half) permits! :)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat May 21, 2016 8:59 am

Negative Creep wrote:It's only the original version, boxed with the two pack in games. No idea what it's actually worth, if anything at all
Ill swap you a bacon sandwitch for it

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat May 21, 2016 9:23 am

DPrinny wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:It's only the original version, boxed with the two pack in games. No idea what it's actually worth, if anything at all

What sauce has it got on it?

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat May 21, 2016 9:44 am

Negative Creep wrote:
DPrinny wrote:

What sauce has it got on it?
For a game com dont expect any

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sat May 21, 2016 6:04 pm

Tempted.....

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun May 22, 2016 5:40 am

flatapex wrote:
Tempted.....
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... AMUyS2VmVS

Before you buy

#Shamelessplug

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun May 22, 2016 12:32 pm

Won't be able to retrieve and test it until around the ned of July, but this forum will be my first port of call since I'm paranoid about dealing with idiots on ebay. Have put my DC up in the for sale section now