selling up

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ErronBlackMKX

Re: selling up

Post by ErronBlackMKX » Mon May 23, 2016 6:05 pm

I just sell them when I need to, occasionally I'll have the odd clearout...

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Thu May 26, 2016 4:24 pm

Any recommended Facebook groups for selling?

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu May 26, 2016 4:48 pm

Got rid of CDI, 3DO and Jaguar for £200. Maybe not best price but never used them so...

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Sat May 28, 2016 3:13 pm

I'm tempted to get rid of most of my collection. I know Mrs. Oxide would approve.

I like the idea of having a small collection of games I love, but then I also like to have a large library of games to choose from. So I'll probably have to try this incrementally and stop the moment I start feeling regret.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sat May 28, 2016 3:26 pm

Negative Creep wrote:Any recommended Facebook groups for selling?
Barely - a lot of them expect the earth for next to nothing. As obvious as it is , Evilbay is at least going to be more favourable and slightly less prone to people trying to get a bargain favour from you even though you have no idea who they are or why you should.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat May 28, 2016 3:30 pm

Yeah a lot want Ebay prices for stuff, not expecting any major deals or owt, but a lot wont budge on price and some snap up whats cheap and sell on on another page

Also dodgy dealings with a few that say they never received the item

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Sat May 28, 2016 3:33 pm

shiftytigger wrote:
Barely - a lot of them expect the earth for next to nothing. As obvious as it is , Evilbay is at least going to be more favourable and slightly less prone to people trying to get a bargain favour from you even though you have no idea who they are or why you should.

Yeah, I always get puzzled by YouTube people moaning if a seller didn't give them a discount. Why would they?

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat May 28, 2016 5:59 pm

Ferret Oxide wrote:I'm tempted to get rid of most of my collection. I know Mrs. Oxide would approve.

I like the idea of having a small collection of games I love, but then I also like to have a large library of games to choose from. So I'll probably have to try this incrementally and stop the moment I start feeling regret.
Yes, unless an extremely hardcore collector... to have an entire room stacked up like a museum storage room just seemed pointless in the end, and the other half never understood the need to buy all this old stuff, receive it on the courier, flip it open once to check it out...then off to the room of requirement where it was never used again :lol: In my own case it was like hoarding stuff. So to just get rid of it all- some I sold, some I donated to a tech museum for others to see and enjoy- just felt good, freeing, and little regret. One or two things I kind of wish I'd kept, but at the end of the day, it just doesn't matter. Had I passed on, I know a lot of stuff no one would value unless of a similar retro game mind, so it is nice to know some of the more special things are archived forever in tech museums so kindred spirits can seem them. It's a nice feeling.
I still enjoy the reading of game history, watching DVDs on such things than the actual playing of the older stuff, so it makes sense to collect books and DVDs on gaming history rather than machines themselves. Although they can take some serious room as well of course so restricted to one bookcase!

I do love the idea of collecting one system and it's library though, keeping it simple. I did start with a PCE, but ended up sending that to the tech museum as well, more for the reason they wanted one than me wanting to get rid of my last collecting console! I can still visit it :) If I was to focus on one single range in the future it would most likely be Vectrex or Colecovision- The two machine most wanted in my youth and never had.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sat May 28, 2016 6:59 pm

Depends on the item.

I run a group for group admins to discuss scammers and share info, if anyone tried scamming me it would be very unwise

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun May 29, 2016 5:11 am

flatapex wrote:
Depends on the item.

I run a group for group admins to discuss scammers and share info, if anyone tried scamming me it would be very unwise

Dreamcast initially. I've sold lots of small things on ebay before but I'm paranoid someone will claim it didn't arrive or is broken so I'll lose the money. Ended up selling my NES stuff to chillout games, which meant I had less money but also no chance of being messed around

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sun May 29, 2016 5:45 am

Negative Creep wrote:
flatapex wrote:
Depends on the item.

Dreamcast initially. I've sold lots of small things on ebay before but I'm paranoid someone will claim it didn't arrive or is broken so I'll lose the money. Ended up selling my NES stuff to chillout games, which meant I had less money but also no chance of being messed around
In fairness I hear horror stories all the time about ebay and just like any walk of life there will be scams. Overall though I have sold around 300 hundred items on eBay and only suffered one problem. This was a poster sent to Turkey which got destroyed in transit even thought it was double tubed.

In the end it was no loss as I got the poster for free years ago.

The only thing I changed was just to sell within the UK as foreigners tend to be more impatient waiting for stuff but that's just down to the very poor postal services abroad. I just could not handle the amount of "where is it?" Emails all the time.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Sun May 29, 2016 6:30 am

Interesting thread. I'm sat typing this in my office at home, surrounded by gaming "stuff". I have a wii sat on the floor, carrier bags of games and boxes with SNES, PS1, Dreamcast in. And upstairs I have a box under the bed with several PS2s in. I have a Berzerk board game thats never been out of the box and PS3 games... and no PS3.

Ive been picking stuff up randomly for some time and have started wondering why. I won't play half this stuff. And I reckon I could get rid of 75% of it and it would be no loss at all - and would help me enjoy my new house and the items that remain more.

Certainly interesting to hear how others have approached this. I'm tempted to charity shop a lot of it, as I'm not sure I have been bothered with ebaying stuff thats only worth £2.

Now... do I have the courage??
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

snesfanboy

Post by snesfanboy » Sun May 29, 2016 8:13 am

around 2008, i decided to go into retro gaming

i bought back a NES and a SNES, also a Dreamcast

i noticed that i played them from time to time, but far from enough to justify them sitting around there

also, while the SNES always functioned robust and thrustworthy, the NES did not, even after installing (with help from someone else) a new cartridge slot

i then decided to sell them

right now, i still have my Dreamcast and more modern systems, but i'm in the process of catalogizing them and trying to sell off the games i've finished, to get my collection back to a reasonable size (i'm doing the same with my movie collection)

right now, i haven't regretted selling off my NES and SNES a single moment, though that doesn't change the fun times i had with them when i was a kid

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun May 29, 2016 8:32 am

snesfanboy wrote: also, while the SNES always functioned robust and thrustworthy, the NES did not, even after installing (with help from someone else) a new cartridge slot
Disable 10NES (NES10?)chip........
That should be done on all NES systems it stops the blinking light and allows imports

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun May 29, 2016 10:25 am

There's a significant % of twats on Ebay who are just plain old knobheads. Problem is the internet puts everyone in touch with everyone and as Ebay involves money it attracts the twatish chav scum and other shysters..

Recent years, every muppet, Chav, Reseller and his dog has a PC, Phone, Tablet and is capable of getting on the internet, Hence the internet and Ebay is full of muppets and smarmy sock molesting pedants that never would of been on Ebay years back(as they where too stupid to use PC's), and since that it's all gone downhill LOL

My ebay is 100% positive all 750 feedback I've been left, and I'd like to keep it this way..

Thing is I have a modded Lynx with lcd screen and a load of codes for Vita games all full games God of War etc.. I know the Lynx the capacitors die and I can guarantee that some knobhead will buy it and say it just stopped working 5 months later..

Same with the codes I guarantee some Shyster will use them say they didn't work and Ebay will give them they're money back.. I think should I sell them and then why bother...
Last edited by Shinobi on Sun May 29, 2016 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"