selling up

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

flatapex

selling up

Post by flatapex » Sun May 15, 2016 7:30 am

Well I am thinking of a major downsize, keep my favourite things and my everdrives and thats it......

Will probably get about 2 grand, maybe more, maybe less.

Has anyone done it? regretted it?

(I sold up twice before but everything went and everdrives didn't exist which is why I regretted it)

gman72

Re: selling up

Post by gman72 » Sun May 15, 2016 7:38 am

Sold my prized Saturn and PS1 collection last year, dunno why. I didn't need the money but all the stuff was all just sitting there gathering dust as I do all my retro gaming emulated or on modern consoles. I don't miss any of it and don't regret it.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun May 15, 2016 7:52 am

Me the one that says this to everyone that has the same question wrote:Sell what you dont have an attachment to and keep the rest

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun May 15, 2016 8:04 am

Sell sell sell.

Sold my collection twice, don't regret it all. I now genuinely play the games I own, I have way more space and I got a brilliant holiday out of the profits.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun May 15, 2016 8:09 am

Rayne wrote:Sell sell sell.

Sold my collection twice,
Maybe a third time coming?

After selling off a lot of my collection the only thing I bought back was the CD32, for the games night mind

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun May 15, 2016 8:22 am

Started a while ago. cleared out 200+ 360 games. Upgraded all the ones I wanted to limited/collectors editions. much happier now. Even at only a few quid for each game I still made around 1-2 grand.

Also sold all loose MD.NES/Snes/N64 games + ones I did not want. cleared around £3000. used some of that to finally pick up some most wanted titles.

About to do the same with Saturn/PS1. get rid of loosed discs, games I don't like then upgrade any games I want that have cracked cases and no instructions.

Much happier now. Simple plan. put away half what I make and buy stuff I really want or upgrade other games with the other half of the money.

Makes it easier to sell as I know that some of the money I make will go back on games.

been working on it slowly for a couple of years now and my collection is smaller, much more focused and of much better quality.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun May 15, 2016 8:30 am

Did sell my PS3, PSP, PSP Go, Messiah chipped PS2, Saturn and X Box (after a week as emulation was censored) and a lot 360 games

Couldn't sell most of my retro stuff as I'd regret it and I'd never afford to be able to buy it back.. Can't stand emulation not 100% on a PC, let alone an X box and tablets such as the JXD etc has emulation that is censored poor it may be perfect to the untrained eye i.e.. Nintendo consoles DS and Wii has far the best emulation especially with a crt and a Snes pad.. Then again my Snes collection alone would rake in thousands over a 100 games most that sold recently between £70 and £200 each!!

The only two consoles I am thinking of Ebaying is my modded Lynx with far better screen and Mega CD2 as the Wii should emulate the Mega Cd!! But then again I have a big house.. It's more so the horror story's I hear about the utter shysters on EBay..

This forum is quite strange compared to almost every other gaming site such as Shmumps Jamma +, NTSC UK, Retro collect etc as they buy tons of games every week, won't play emulation and have complete sets for most consoles..
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

davyK

Post by davyK » Sun May 15, 2016 8:55 am

Had a mini clear out last year. Got rid of games in genres I know I won't ever play. Also got rid of some shovelware I had amassed, loose stuff and some doubles too.

Out of a collection of 700 I sold 250 games to chillout. I know I didn't get the value - you can't if selling to a trader - but goodness me the convenience. They even pay for your postage. Very slick service and if that is what you are after I recommend them.

My collection now fits on my shelves and is leaner and meaner from gameplay point of view. I found it liberating. I'm thinking of doing it again and using the funds to get myself a classic arcade game or a JAMMA cab with one or two PCBs.

I'm not really interested in emulation other than for trying something out. I still like to have original hardware and games - it's actually the peripherals that take up the room really. I have a lot of stuff for Dreamcast (sticks, wheels, keyboards) and Wii/GC (bongos, guitars, DJ decks ,nunchucks etc) and it can be hard to store.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun May 15, 2016 9:15 am

David

Post by David » Sun May 15, 2016 10:18 am

So what you selling??

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sun May 15, 2016 10:23 am

David wrote:So what you selling??
Still got to decide but I think there will be ms, md, snes, ps1 and 2

merman

Post by merman » Sun May 15, 2016 10:51 am

Everyone I know who has sold large chunks of a collection ends up buying as much again, saying how much they regretted it.

Unless the bailiffs are at the door, I don't see the point selling.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sun May 15, 2016 11:01 am

Yup. Sold everything i owned (retrowise) this year. Just like Gman, didn't have to but i didn't want everything getting all mouldy and rotten just being kept up in the loft and garage. I raised a healthy sum and have bought myself a few nice things and given the rest to my daughter for her Uni fund.

Regrets: Nope, not one jot. I even had a fun time selling up at the Retro Market up in Doncaster. Met a few people i've spoken to on the forums, which was great as now i can finally put a few faces to names. I also get some satisfaction in knowing some of gear has gone to good homes where its appreciated.

Here's a few pics of the day it all went..... :)

ImageImageImageImage

I have no intention of buying back any of this stuff in the future. If anything i feel kind of relieved. If i get the collecting urge again, it'll be different subject matter.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sun May 15, 2016 12:59 pm

I'd love to have gone to that , you had a great heap of cube stuff.

I wont be getting rid of much more at the moment apart from surplus PSP stuff , downsized my Saturn / DC / MS and PS1/PS2 collection to what I enjoy , I have no Snes or NES collection anyway so my retron 5 will play any I choose to buy. My cube and MD collections are my main focus and they will expand as necessary , along with my currently growing ps3 stuff.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sun May 15, 2016 2:17 pm

Sold mine up a few years back now.One of the best things I ever did.The only regret I have about it is the price the snes stuff sells for now.Bit thats only money.Still enjoy modern gaming and some retro emulating but having row upon row of games and boxes of consoles etc just has no interest to me anymore.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink: