Best/worst franchise deviations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Sel Feena

Re: Best/worst franchise deviations

Post by Sel Feena » Mon May 16, 2016 9:20 am

Panorama Cotton on the MD certainly feels like a poor relation to the sublime horis the rest of the games are. Can't comment on Rainbow Cotton for DC, that might be OK.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon May 16, 2016 10:00 am

Starfox Adventures. A fine example of shoehorning a licence into an existing game. It's not a bad game, it's just not a Starfox Game.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon May 16, 2016 12:50 pm

Megamixer wrote:
JazzFunk wrote:I'm glad i'm hearing good stuff about Death By Degrees. I've had it sitting about for ages but all I hear is bad about it, yet I can't believe it's gonna be less than decent, being Namco, being Tekken, and the PAL had a 60hz mode iirc?
Can't remember about 60Hz (PS2 games don't even say on the back of the box either) but the game has nice graphics and a strange sort of atmosphere that is almost survival horror-esque even though the game isn't in the genre. The fighting is really cool as well, based entirely around the right analogue stick so it's quite intuitive. There are also special x-ray moves that break legs etc. and do a lot of damage...sort of like less-gory versions of those found in the recent Mortal Kombat games. Oh and you get to play as Nina Williams in her undies for a short section of the game. Just so you know
I also liked Death by Degree I almost finished it could not get the right code on that time bomb puzzle at the end and Gamefaqs guide code was wrong.. Will have to load it up again as I still have my original copy.. Jazz if you like Final Fight Street Wise you will like Death by Degree's they play similar as in 2 stick scrolling fighters, DBD has a lot more moves and you can pick up an use various guns and other dropped weapons.. As Megamixer says the X Ray instant death moves are cut scenes of a Skeleton and Nina breaking there bones.... Gameplay is more confined as its set on a Ocean Liner & puzzles to solve Resident Evil style..

Streetwise didn't seem like a Final Fight game they tried to aim it more at the casual GTA player that and 2d franchises that go 3d always get a lot of hate.. Other than a fight against 'Cammy' in that boxing ring there's not much Capcom Fan service only brief appearances from Haggar and Guy.. After you defeats the four horsemen, and confront Father Bella on the top of his church. You get another boss fight against Horseman "Death", a mutated Cody serving Bella after being given a highly concentrated amount of that drug. with Bella revealing that his last name is not Bella, but Belger. The younger brother of Belger, the old man in the wheelchair and final boss in Final Fight who Cody killed by throwing him from the widow of his skyscraper.
Last edited by Shinobi on Mon May 16, 2016 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon May 16, 2016 1:12 pm

Megamixer wrote:I'd actually quite like to give Lego Racers a go as it came out in 'my' era of Lego when I was younger and not far off getting rid of it all. Which is the best version to go for in your opinion?
I've only played the original. Although it's on the early 3D systems (PS1, N64, equivalent PC) it's still fun. The courses are varied, and there are shortcuts to be had (often requiring a shot pick-up at the right moment). Handling is rather simplistic, although the speed/acceleration trade-off is affected by your car design.

LEGO Racers 2 put me off with the pictures of the crappy little one-piece cars that were being sold as actual toys at the time, though by all accounts it's a decent enough game, with a bit of adventuring and more customisation options. Dirt cheap for the PC, quite hard to find cheaply for the PS2.

The one to avoid is Drome Racers, based on Technic-built cars and apparently with little customisation apart from purchased 'upgrades' for speed and on-/off-road handling, and rather boring racing.

Although none of them are generally considered 'must-have' games - I'd suggest using either emulation or a direct go on the PC versions to try them out first, before trying to track them down for consoles. Also note that the N64 version still only allows 2 players, not 4.

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon May 16, 2016 1:20 pm

I pretty much gave up with Starfox Adventures. It had the feel of a fairly directed adventure, like the Zelda series, but then with all the clues and hints as to what you were supposed to do next taken out. And as for an exploring approach, there was nothing really to find. Just a lot of blundering about, hoping more by luck than judgement to stumble randomly into a bit of 'event' with the right 'key' object to hand at the time.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon May 16, 2016 5:40 pm

Castlevania I loved all the 2d games even Haunted Castle and the 3D N64 games with Cornell whatever that's called.. The PS2 games where pretty poor but had some great boss fights and the 360 games I hated, everything that was good about Castlevania was stripped away!
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Mortis

Post by Mortis » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:14 am

Too many to list...most 3d games are awful.

Sonic and Mario games....actually are there any better 3d versions than 2d? Can't think of any

Dannyhalifax

Post by Dannyhalifax » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:26 am

Operation Racoon city was a terrible game associated with resident evil, I traded it in the same day I bought it :evil:

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:35 am

Front Mission Evolved managed to switch from an excellent tactical RPG saga to a terrible Mechwarrior clone.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:45 am

Mortis wrote:Too many to list...most 3d games are awful.

Sonic and Mario games....actually are there any better 3d versions than 2d? Can't think of any
I think Mario Galaxy stacks up quite well against Mario World. Game's a lot of fun.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:55 am

Sel Feena wrote:
I think Mario Galaxy stacks up quite well against Mario World. Game's a lot of fun.
Agreed. I love Super Mario Galaxy. It is a masterpiece and every bit up there amongst Marios finest moments. I just need to finally get into Super Mario 3D world....haven't given it a good run yet (even though I quite enjoyed the arguably inferior 3DS "Land" version).

T Moleman

Post by T Moleman » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:12 am

Best Deviation – TT Tourist Trophy PS2
Okay, so it still may be a racing game but it’s a completely different one. I really enjoyed the game and loved the bike mechanics and having to take actual motorbike lines on courses that I’d been racing car lines with for years, still surprised there was never a sequel.

Worst Deviation – Resident Evil 4 – GC
I was a real fan of horror games, I rinsed RE on the GC up to 4’s release, rinsed Eternal Darkness and was really looking forward to 4 given all the scores. Massive disappointment, it wasn’t RE any longer, it was a 3rd person action game set in a midget’s fun house….

Bonus points for Super Mario RPG, easily one of the best uses of the licence outside of SMK.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:38 am

Worst ones are :-

Syndicate(2012) - why turn it into a FPS? What was going on there?

X-Com : Declassified - again, why turn it into a third person shooter? Totally misses what made the games in that franchise great.

Best one :-

Dune II - A very good take on the Dune universe and probably the granddaddy of all RTSes. Whilst, the original game did have a certain amount of RTS stuff(the harvesting and moving your armies around) - it was more of an adventure game(it's still really good and is probably overshadowed by its sequel so what).

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:07 am

Sel Feena wrote:
Mortis wrote:Too many to list...most 3d games are awful.

The recent 3D Marios are excellent, he 2D games are great too but I think some of the 3D games are better than some of the 2D ones.

I think sonic Colours might be my favourite Sonic game, Sonic and Sonic 2 were good games but I think Colours has more going on.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:06 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Sel Feena wrote:
Agreed. I love Super Mario Galaxy. It is a masterpiece and every bit up there amongst Marios finest moments. I just need to finally get into Super Mario 3D world....haven't given it a good run yet (even though I quite enjoyed the arguably inferior 3DS "Land" version).
I think that 3D Land won't actually be seen as inferior since it came first. It's certainly of a high enough quality to stand on it's own and it's a 3DS game where I actually think the 3D is a must. Those huge drops looked incredible with the 3D on - like I was falling myself!

I need to get the Wii-U game as well. It's been a bit of neglected console lately but only due to time restraints.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.