Best/worst franchise deviations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

pratty

Best/worst franchise deviations

Post by pratty » Sun May 15, 2016 6:15 am

Which games are the best and worst deviations from a franchise's original or usual genre? I'm thinking complete genre changes, not more subtle ones like 2D platformer to 3D, or turn based RPG to real time.

Which franchises have produced excellence in another genre?

Which genre deviation games are perhaps underrated or underappreciated?

Which franchies should have stayed in their lane?

And which franchises have had the most success at diversifying multiple times?

Counting Mario as one franchise, while there are soeme bad games I can't think of a franchise that's had more success diversifying, the sports games are mostly good and the Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi RPG games are great, but Mario Kart is probably the standout deviation from the platformers.

I think Star Fox Adventures is a bit underappreciated, wouldn't say no to another stab at a game like that.

Fortunately for myself I can't think of too many bad genre deviations that I've played personally, but Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub Zero looks awful.
Last edited by pratty on Sun May 15, 2016 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

DPrinny

Re: Best/worst franchise deviations

Post by DPrinny » Sun May 15, 2016 6:23 am

Sonic -

His 2D platformers where great, then came 3D and urgh, nearly got back on par with Generations, but then came BOOM, a reboot where only the cartoon was good
One hte other hand
Racing games
Sonic drift came first and was ok, Sonic R came out and showed promise, then nothing for a few years until Sonic all stars racing, that sadly ending in the rather epic Sonic allstars racing transformed
Currently doing the rounds with freemium apps, Sonic dash is quite fun

Panzer Dragoon -
Short series that started out "Ok", became awsome with Zewi and viered off into RPGs with Saga (still good), then came Orta, I have yet to really play it
Forgetting mini

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Sun May 15, 2016 6:37 am

The 3D Bomberman games for a start
Pokemon Snap
Final Fight Streetwise (or whatever it's called )
Going Solo...................

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun May 15, 2016 6:51 am

^Good or bad? I'm assuming bad.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sun May 15, 2016 7:18 am

Halo Wars felt really damn dull, couldn't bring myself to finish it.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Sun May 15, 2016 7:24 am

pratty wrote:^Good or bad? I'm assuming bad.
Yup :)

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun May 15, 2016 8:15 am

Considering Mariokart was a deviation I would go with that, especially considering its as popular as the main series now.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun May 15, 2016 8:30 am

Sel Feena wrote:Halo Wars felt really damn dull, couldn't bring myself to finish it.
Agreed, Halo Wars was a huge disappointment.

Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer was a let-down. Instead of delivering a complete animal crossing game, it delivered about 15% of what a game in the main series normally does. It then spends so long encouraging you to buy amiibo trading cards that you'd be forgiven for thinking it was a F2P title.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Sun May 15, 2016 9:01 am

Final Fight Streetwise was actually a very fun game. In no way did it feel like Final Fight, but it's *another* one of those times when people dis a game over-mercilessly for the sake of being snarky online. I'd recommend anyone to give that game a try. I enjoyed it. It played pretty well and kept me playing 'til the end. It's an anomaly but a fun one.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun May 15, 2016 9:04 am

not really a genre change but Renegade 3 going into time travel! with disastrous results

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun May 15, 2016 9:08 am

Worst deviation for me is probably Fable: The Journey.

A game that was a good deviation for me was Banjo & Kazooie Nuts n Bolts. I expect it would feature on a few people's list of worst franchise deviations but there's no accounting for folk who don't know their arse from their elbow I guess.

There's a fair few modern updates of old classics that have me sitting in the fence. Stuff like Space Invaders: Infinity Gene. It's not bad but it isn't really Space Invaders all that much.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Sun May 15, 2016 9:20 am

Crash Nitro Racing was a nice deviation

David

Post by David » Sun May 15, 2016 10:52 am

That time they tried to make a twisted metal type game with wwe stars

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Sun May 15, 2016 11:13 am

Ah, 'WWE Crush Hour'. I always wondered what that was like as a vet of the Twisted Metal/Rogue Trip/Vigilante 8 games. I'm betting it wasn't half bad. Did you get on with it?

With me, I tend to see the positives in many so-called 'bad' games. A lot of games have merits. Christ, I enjoyed and completed Quantum Theory!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun May 15, 2016 11:52 am

JazzFunk wrote:Final Fight Streetwise was actually a very fun game. In no way did it feel like Final Fight, but it's *another* one of those times when people dis a game over-mercilessly for the sake of being snarky online. I'd recommend anyone to give that game a try. I enjoyed it. It played pretty well and kept me playing 'til the end. It's an anomaly but a fun one.
Gotta disagree with that. I finished the game and its a janky and dull attempt to bring the series into 3D. Level design went down hill around the point where you meet Guy, and the game never recovered since. Contntrols, camera and the battle system were nothing special. I much preferred playing Spikeout or Urban Reign instead, those were much better 3D brawlers.
Streetwise was so bad that it killed the studio that made the game, which was a crying shame as they also made the Maximo games, and the third game which would have tied up the story was canceled.

As far as good deviations - I was always impressed with the Mega Man Battle Network games. It took the original series characters (the robot masters at least) and then recreated the characters really well. Plus the real time RPG battle system worked really well for the series, I didn't expect much from it, but I ended up really enjoying several entries in the series (Battle Network 4 sucked though).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*