Worst quality computer/console hardware revision?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Worst quality computer/console hardware revision?

Post by Megamixer » Thu May 12, 2016 12:52 pm

Was thinking about this yesterday when fighting with my PS2 Slim and realising how crap these things are. Lasers die too easily (look at how many ebay auctions feature a stack of broken machines for sale!) the door catches break and the memory card slot is awful at reading PS1 cards, even official ones. I have multiple official PS1 memory cards and some of them register, others don't.

Obviously it's a case of getting what you pay for (these things were quite cheap new if I remember rightly) and Sony having scaled the build quality back to hit a certain price point but even so, I find it a nasty thing to own. Luckily I have multiple machines and only have to use the slim for the CD-based games that my multi-region 'phat' model has stopped loading.

Any other notable nominations?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

MadManDan79

Re: Worst quality computer/console hardware revision?

Post by MadManDan79 » Thu May 12, 2016 2:04 pm

Ps2 slim isnt that bad tbh, at least the lasers are quite cheap to buy when they do go and the console is quite straightforward to fix. The PS2 phat model dvd drive is a nightmare to fix if the laser goes. Some of the dvd drives have revisions for the same PS2 model which means changing is a pain...

I think the 32X and Mega CD add ons for the Megadrive were probably the worst as they just updated the graphics and sounds slightly and really just eked out a few more years out of the megadrive console before the Saturn arrived. However they are rare, expensive and collectable nowadays...

Early Xbox 360 consoles, great in quality and capability - bad in reliability cos of red ring of death.

Also the Amstrad GX4000 as well, just never really took off.

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu May 12, 2016 2:11 pm

I want to say the Wii Mini - a Wii with no GC compatability and no online services seems so stupid. But... for the market it was aimed at (parents wanting a dirt-cheap console for their small children) it was fine for what it was.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu May 12, 2016 2:39 pm

killbot wrote:I want to say the Wii Mini - a Wii with no GC compatability and no online services seems so stupid. But... for the market it was aimed at (parents wanting a dirt-cheap console for their small children) it was fine for what it was.
Well you could always nominate the later version of the original Wii model that came in the 'family' bundles and had no GC support (the models with the logo switched around so that it only looks 'correct' with the console laying flat).
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu May 12, 2016 2:48 pm

Yes the original stuff that came out was built rock solid.. the Apple II, the Nintendo Game & Watches, the Atari 2600, in those days build quality meant something, they were trying to impress. It didn't take long though before the quality dropped. I mean the Vic 20 power supply for instance, just about everyone here had a problem with it within the first 2 months. But then things got worse.. the newer, smaller PS1 was flimsy as hell, and as OP mentioned the PS2 slim obviously tried to cut as many corners as possible. But with all the hardware competition nowadays, well sadly its understandable, they have to do their best to cut costs.

But yes, I would say the PS1 update and PS2 were so damn flimsy you almost needed tweezers to use them. The Wii doors practically flew off when you first purchased the damn thing, just rubbish those things. The original XBOX I think I saw the red light more than the green one. So its a toss up. Perhaps the PS2 takes the cake though.

Conversely, what was the STRONGEST machine ever made? The aforementioned Apple II was like a tank... TRS-80... or how about the Commodore PET? Good lord that looked like something out of the WWII German army, fair dinkum.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu May 12, 2016 3:17 pm

The original white 360 was a badly designed machine. Way too much noise, red ring and prone to over heating.
Last edited by gman72 on Thu May 12, 2016 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu May 12, 2016 3:17 pm

Spectrum+2- Amstrad tat

Amiga A600- Amiga without a keypad? WTF?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

David

Post by David » Thu May 12, 2016 3:35 pm

The small ps1 might be flimsy but at least you didn't have to turn it upside down like the original one :)

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu May 12, 2016 5:13 pm

With the exception of the 360 Elite and PS1 slim I think all later revisions off consoles where made with cheaper parts as the technology got older..

Atari VCS jnr much smaller didn't look nowhere near as nice as the Woody
Master System 2 the card slot was removed and an inferior sound chip some Jap MS games such as Sonic 1 could do FM Sound
Megadrive 2 stereo sound chip removed and looks horrid and tacky switches replaced with buttons and required specific Ariel leads and power supply's that always broke if the amount of EBay auctions missing these is anything to go by..
PS2 slim as Megamixer says
Philips CDi 450 had it's scart lead removed and was composite only more compact then the 220 model but a lot flimsier

PS1 slim far more reliable then the PS1 and looked far nicer and also had the add on TV screen
360 Elite again far more reliable with a bigger hard drive
Mega CD 2 looks gash but far more reliable Mega CD's would break if you looked at them funny..
Last edited by Shinobi on Thu May 12, 2016 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

skodathegreat

Post by skodathegreat » Thu May 12, 2016 5:20 pm

I think the Wii U is quite cheaply made. I find the game pad to be of low quality.
Most publicised is the old tech touch screen, but often overlooked are the buttons, which are all very rattly.

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Thu May 12, 2016 6:56 pm

Anything produced by Sinclair, although cheap, they knew little about quality electronics. I am not saying that machines are a bad package, they just took shortcuts and bad design decisions that just didn't make sense. Much in the same way as many of the cheap unreliable Chinese products of today

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon May 16, 2016 3:36 am

Turbo Grafix 16 - The quality of the plastic is offensive!

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Mon May 16, 2016 3:54 am

The OP question is about which is the worst hardware revision, some of the answers are a touch off here, the GX4000 was never revised for one.

For me it just has to be the Master System 2, with that cartridge slot cover that makes it look like a toilet roll holder, the absolutely dreadful RF picture, compared to the MS1 it is just way too cut down and cheap, completely agree with the Turbografx design too, it is just horrible, absolutely no need to make it as big as it is, that was the appeal of the PC Engine, how tiny it was, and the plastic of the TG16, especially on the CD cover is really the worst I have seen on a console.

Can't agree with the Spectrum +2 either, it made the Spectrum reliable, I have owned one since 1987, and it has never faltered once, the drive belt is still the original, the only problem I have is the keyboard clips have broken, so the keyboard slowly warps in every now and then, but my rubber keyed Speccy, and the Plus have needed a fair bit of work over the years, and don't get me started on the 128K toast rack!

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon May 16, 2016 4:00 am

Both my initial thoughts have been covered here, the first 2-3 revisions of the PS2, and the 360 pre Jasper. Those two definitely improved as time went on.
adippm82 wrote:The OP question is about which is the worst hardware revision, some of the answers are a touch off here, the GX4000 was never revised for one.
Precisely, it was so bad it didn't need to be revised, it was at the pinnacle of crap already :lol:
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon May 16, 2016 4:33 am

ivarf wrote:Anything produced by Sinclair, although cheap, they knew little about quality electronics. I am not saying that machines are a bad package, they just took shortcuts and bad design decisions that just didn't make sense. Much in the same way as many of the cheap unreliable Chinese products of today
Yes, the Amstrad Spectrums are so much better from an engineering perspective. It's just a shame that they didn't keep Rick Dickinson on the books as all the Sinclair models look nicer, and there were incompatibilities introduced through the usage of undocumented features like the floating bus and the different memory contention.

In terms of the overall worst model of Spectrum, I'd probably have to go for the 48K+. The new keyboard made it look the part of a serious computer, but it's decidedly underwhelming in use. The old rubber key models are not only more responsive for playing games with but also faster for typing, with a bit of practice.