The Dreamcast Appreciation Thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

English Invader

Re: The Dreamcast Appreciation Thread

Post by English Invader » Thu May 12, 2016 11:37 am

oldtimer wrote:Can you still go online with the dreamcast ??? and do online gameing??? fantasy star etc?
It is possible but the broadband adaptors are very expensive and there are only a few games available:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamcast ... ter#Demand

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu May 12, 2016 1:40 pm

Matt_B wrote:
English Invader wrote:I can confirm that the PC versions of Crazy Taxi 1 and 3, Virtua Tennis and Sega Bass Fishing all work on Linux flawlessly through Wine.

Big fan of the Dreamcast myself. I would love to see some kind of compatibility layer (not an emulator) that would allow one to run GD-ROMs on a PC. It would be great to get MSR, Shenmue and the original Soul Calibur on my desktop. The Dreamcast hardware is just PC friendly enough for it to be possible,
That's not going to happen unfortunately, unless you're adding pretty much the entire guts of a Dreamcast to your PC. Otherwise, the CPUs have completely different instruction sets so that at least would need to be emulated and the graphics card was of a dead-end lineage that modern GPUs would lack sufficient bare metal compatibility with.

Still, the current state of Dreamcast emulation is pretty good. It's a heck of a lot better than for the Saturn, that's for sure.
That's true but the link I pasted to the Dreamcast-based graphics card for the PC might have allowed for some DC-to-PC games. It did happen with the first Nvidia card, the NV1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jChtlWNIAL4

It had similar hardware to the Saturn and you were able to run special versions of Saturn games on the PC with it. I imagine the "GD-ROM" drive would have been a bit of a obstacle in the case of Dreamcast, since most PCs had either a regular CD-ROM or a DVD-ROM.

Btw, the company that made the DC's graphics chip was PowerVR and they're still in the hardware business, supplying mobiles (most notably Apple) with their tech. They also made some graphics cards for the PC consumer market back in the days but they abandoned it.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Thu May 12, 2016 2:33 pm

Dreamcast, is and will always be, my most cherished console.

The console was at its core a multiplayer console, so that was a dream for me and siblings, and seeing as our previous console was a Saturn, it felt like a natural progression for us. Growing up in a family of three brothers around the 90s arcade scene, it was obvious this console would exceed all our expectations in gaming. You had 60fps multiplayer on a wide range of amazing titles. What's not to love?

Nearly every game had a beautiful arcade vibrancy to it, making most games still playable today, thanks to those beautiful colors. Same can't be said for the murky grey/brown ps2 graphics. Can't turn that console on for more than 5 mins without feeling a little nauseous.

David

Post by David » Thu May 12, 2016 3:30 pm

samhain81 wrote:Dreamcast, is and will always be, my most cherished console.

The console was at its core a multiplayer console.
That's funny you saying that as for me it was always a single player console.

If it had EA sports games, FIFA in particular, there would have been no stopping it

It even emulated it's rival the ps1 through the BLEEM discs. Imagine that today!!!!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu May 12, 2016 7:16 pm

I still have my Dreamcast pictured here and my Jap game collection has been given a nice boost thanks to Hot Rod sending me some free games

The biggest regret for me was that Star Wars Arcade and Planet Harriers conversions never got released I think those games would have been huge and highly collectable now as to my knowledge Mame can't emulate them....

I think the Dreamcast was mostly quick burst arcade games when its rivals where more sprawling 8 hour + games and the lack of support from EA hindered the Dreamcasts chances in the console wars..

Illbleed was still is one of my favorite games ever and a Dreamcast exclusive< Dynamite Deka 2 still plays brilliantly Gun Lord, Last Hope and Pink Bullets aren't as good as people make them out to be.. Still think Dreamcast had the best version of Codename Veronica and Crazy Taxi as all the Offspring music and locations where removed from the conversion to other console which really hindered the game to me..

Honorable mentions to Carrier and Sword of the Berserk
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu May 12, 2016 8:06 pm

English Invader wrote:
oldtimer wrote:Can you still go online with the dreamcast ??? and do online gameing??? fantasy star etc?
It is possible but the broadband adaptors are very expensive and there are only a few games available:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamcast ... ter#Demand
It's possible to use the modem built into the DC to get online via a connection to a PC with an old modem. There's a bit of tinkering to do on the PC side, since the DC has to 'dial up' to the PC, then the PC modem takes the call and shares its internet connection. Been donkey's years since I tried it so I can't recall exactly how it's done, but no fancy expensive hardware is needed (though the DC broadband adapter option is obviously a neater and less fiddly choice). Google 'dreamcast to PC dialup' and you should find all you need. I'd give you a decent link, but access to the sites I want is blocked here.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri May 13, 2016 3:29 am

Shinobi wrote:Still think Dreamcast had the best version of Codename Veronica and Crazy Taxi as all the Offspring music and locations where removed from the conversion to other console which really hindered the game to me..
Yeah, Crazy Taxi just isn't the same without the music and the locations. It really places it in time, you know? Maybe they should have replaced Tower Records with a Poundland :roll:

davyK

Post by davyK » Sun May 15, 2016 8:41 am

I'm a big Dreamcast fan. I'm sorry to say I vultured it. I went in and snapped it up when it was all but dead in late 2001. Argos were selling the VF3+Ecco+MSR pack for £50! It was hard to say no. I have since bought a 2nd console for backup but also - should the day ever come when I can get hold of the rare link cable- for the F355 linkup mode.

I have a rather nice collection. I thinned it out a bit 6 months ago when I got rid of games I know I won't ever play. No reflection on them - just genres I don't play much - FPS games, adventure games like Headhunter, Shenmue1&2,RE Code Veronica etc. I prefer the arcade style experience and my collection now reflects that.

Along with the full complement of 4 controllers (and a few spares!) , rumble packs and a pile of VMUs, I have 4 arcade sticks, 2 wheels and 2 keyboards for it. Used to have 2 mice for playing the FPS games but I sold those along with my copies of Unreal, Quake and Outrigger - lovely games - but again - will rarely play them. I kept the keyboards for the piece of Sega genius that is Typing of the Dead (have the US version).

Have a small collection of imports like Cosmic Smash , Sega Tetris and Sports Jam (I use the DC-X disc to play those) and a couple of gorgeous home-brew releases like Sturmwind and Wind&Water Puzzle Battle.

Have a VGA box for use with my LCD panel and have my 2nd console rigged up to a CRT via RGB SCART.

It's a gorgeous console and is probably the most collectable of all mainly due to the dazzling array of special edition releases and odd peripherals like the camera.

Personal highlights apart from the games I have already mentioned are Virtua Tennis (1&2), Mr Driller, Gigawing, Gunbird 2, Daytona 2001, Bangai-O, Cannon Spike, Pro Pinball Trilogy and Rez (I still play this version despite having the HD remake on 360)

Dreamcast was the last console I remember there being a real buzz about in shops. Last time I saw a crowd around a demo pod was the Dreamcast running the demo version of Ready 2 Rumble Boxing. Wonderful humour, graphics and gameplay. And you know what ? Everyone gathered around was smiling. Remember when people used to smile in gameshops? Nowadays if you can make your way past all the tat that so-called gameshops now sell, there are too many serious frowns on "mature" gamers trying joyless soulless fodder like FIFA or the latest "lets play soldiers " game. I can't help feeling that some of the fun of gaming died along with the Dreamcast.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun May 22, 2016 1:32 am

Super Magnetic Neo. I loved this game, yet there's nary a mention of it, even when DC topics pop up. It's like a cute Crash Bandicoot with an unusual player control mechanic as you use your magnetic abilities to get pushed and pulled around the level as well as the usual platforming.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

davyK

Post by davyK » Sun May 22, 2016 5:58 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Super Magnetic Neo. I loved this game, yet there's nary a mention of it, even when DC topics pop up. It's like a cute Crash Bandicoot with an unusual player control mechanic as you use your magnetic abilities to get pushed and pulled around the level as well as the usual platforming.
Rock hard too if i remember right. Must give that a go again.