Modern gaming is better than retro gaming.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Is modern Gaming is better than retro gaming?

Yes - Modern games are generally more enjoyable for a plethora of reasons.
17%
No - Retro gaming will always be better for reasons I shall explain.
13%
I'm one of those people that can find things to detest in all eras of gaming.
9%
I love all games - much like the gaming equivalent of a drug crazed 60s hippie.
62%

Total votes: 47

Antiriad2097

Re: Modern gaming is better than retro gaming.

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri May 13, 2016 6:16 pm

Turn off router/disconnect console from network, no downloads. Fairly simple, you can just insert game and play. Unless it's a a downloaded game of course.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

davyK

Post by davyK » Sat May 14, 2016 8:36 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Turn off router/disconnect console from network, no downloads. Fairly simple, you can just insert game and play. Unless it's a a downloaded game of course.
still a pain when you have to install it though.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat May 14, 2016 8:53 am

You know, I don't really get the point of the thread, gman. I don't think anyone here really cares if you think modern gaming is better, the reason why most are here is because they like to stick to what they like or appreciate the old. It would be a bit like going to a board about classic movies and preaching how modern movies are so much better than the classics. :wink:

Moreover, it seems every time discussion is about modern gaming, you're quick to jump the gun. We seem to get along nicely when it comes to retro stuff, but when it comes to modernity, all hell seems to break loose... :P

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sat May 14, 2016 9:20 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Turn off router/disconnect console from network, no downloads. Fairly simple, you can just insert game and play. Unless it's a a downloaded game of course.
:lol: That's a bit simple really as the 13GB update had all the weather effects and some other stuff that didn't come with the original release. I'm hardly going to fork out money for a lesser experience than one that exists.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun May 15, 2016 3:52 am

outdated_gamer wrote:You know, I don't really get the point of the thread, gman. I don't think anyone here really cares if you think modern gaming is better, the reason why most are here is because they like to stick to what they like or appreciate the old. It would be a bit like going to a board about classic movies and preaching how modern movies are so much better than the classics. :wink:

Moreover, it seems every time discussion is about modern gaming, you're quick to jump the gun. We seem to get along nicely when it comes to retro stuff, but when it comes to modernity, all hell seems to break loose... :P
Well there's 5 pages of responses from people who cared enough to comment, and no-one is kicking off. As for jumping the gun I'm not really following you, I'm simply interested in where people think the state of modern gaming is when compared to retro, and seeing as you already made a comment in the thread on that issue I don't really understand why you'd post the above comment unless you wanted to cause an upset. Please play nice.
Last edited by gman72 on Sun May 15, 2016 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Sun May 15, 2016 7:03 am

gman72 wrote:I'm simply interested in where people think the state of modern gaming is when compared to retro.
My biggest complaint with modern gaming is that an internet connection has become a pre-requisite. I use and enjoy services like Steam and GOG but I don't want that sort of crap when I buy a copy of a game in a shop. I should be able to install a game and play it as is. I have no problem with online updates, but they should be installed or rejected at the user's discretion and convenience and a game should always be fully playable when it hits retail with the assumption that the user will not use the internet at any time.

A lot of retail disc games are practically Steam keys and once they've been redeemed the game can't be used by someone else which completely wipes out the used game market.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun May 15, 2016 7:15 am

English Invader wrote:
gman72 wrote:I'm simply interested in where people think the state of modern gaming is when compared to retro.
My biggest complaint with modern gaming is that an internet connection has become a pre-requisite. I use and enjoy services like Steam and GOG but I don't want that sort of crap when I buy a copy of a game in a shop. I should be able to install a game and play it as is. I have no problem with online updates, but they should be installed or rejected at the user's discretion and convenience and a game should always be fully playable when it hits retail with the assumption that the user will not use the internet at any time.

A lot of retail disc games are practically Steam keys and once they've been redeemed the game can't be used by someone else which completely wipes out the used game market.
I live in a household in which the net is always on and is always being used - almost 24/7 - and console operations that require internet use just happen as and when they need to or are given an optional deferment to avoid missing gameplay until a more convenient time where ever possible. Personally I think all gamers will agree with you that games should be fully playable at launch but I think the assumption of developers is that these days most people have an internet connection. With internet being such a ubiquitous thing in modern households it seems strange that you'd expect developers to assume that the end user will not use the internet at any time.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sun May 15, 2016 7:25 am

I was able to purchase a full game and play it after a 30 min download. During which, to pass the time, I bought a retro game and played on that. Convenience of modern consoles is amazing, I'll moan every now and again but it really is great.

On the other hand, day one patches and things of that nature are an absolute nuisance. I also really miss game manuals, to the point I'd pay extra for games that include them.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun May 15, 2016 8:11 am

If only with these day one patches, they made them download in the background and let you play the damn game, then install the update later

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sun May 15, 2016 9:13 am

Are airplanes better or worse than sailboats?
Is Jello better than icecream?
Is a punch in the mouth better than a kick in the...

Well you get the idea... It's a noncence question, IMHO.
Although you are more likely to get decent answers on this forum than some others.
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun May 15, 2016 7:11 pm

GarryG wrote:Are airplanes better or worse than sailboats?
Is Jello better than icecream?
Is a punch in the mouth better than a kick in the...

Well you get the idea... It's a noncence question, IMHO.
Although you are more likely to get decent answers on this forum than some others.
It's just a poll on peoples gaming preferences... why don't you just put a decent answer rather than one that might be found on another forum?

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon May 16, 2016 5:58 am

Huge updates and installs are about as welcome as a freshly-baked turd being posted through your letterbox but it is unfortunately just the way it is.

We only use the internet connection for basic web browsing and don't have anything else that requires a faster speed so naturally the downloads for me take eons but there's nothing to do about it really and we can't justify forking out more for better internet. I just tend to get through an RG article or two while the download is happening.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon May 16, 2016 11:00 am

I think we have to differ between modern gaming as in "modern games" aka games that are selling full price in (online) stores right now or were made in the last 5 years or so and modern gaming as in "playing all games on modern hardware, including the classic games". If that's the case, then I'm all for modern gaming since I don't want to waste space with all the hardware and software and prefer the elegance and simplicity of emulation over "the real deal". Obviously no reasonable person would want a return to times when it took half an hour to loud up a tape. :wink:

With that said, it's most certainly fair if someone wishes to play on original hardware with original software and appropriate screens (read: CRTs).

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Mon May 16, 2016 11:03 am

^ With you 100% on that, and I can't abide snobs who say people are missing out if they only emulate. If you just want the games, it's more than fine.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon May 16, 2016 12:54 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:I think we have to differ between modern gaming as in "modern games" aka games that are selling full price in (online) stores right now or were made in the last 5 years or so and modern gaming as in "playing all games on modern hardware, including the classic games".
I think before we discuss anything about anything we should ditch the stupid notion that "modern games" are only those that are being sold at full price in stores, online or otherwise. Whatever "full price" means, of course.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.