Modern gaming is better than retro gaming.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Is modern Gaming is better than retro gaming?

Yes - Modern games are generally more enjoyable for a plethora of reasons.
17%
No - Retro gaming will always be better for reasons I shall explain.
13%
I'm one of those people that can find things to detest in all eras of gaming.
9%
I love all games - much like the gaming equivalent of a drug crazed 60s hippie.
62%

Total votes: 47

ncf1

Re: Modern gaming is better than retro gaming.

Post by ncf1 » Thu May 12, 2016 3:40 pm

David wrote:Imagine kids nowadays having to go back to games that basically drop you in the game with no idea what you are doing and you have to figure it out yourself.

No Internet no gamefaq etc
Exactly. They don't know how to sweat.

David

Post by David » Thu May 12, 2016 3:46 pm

I was playing bart vs the space mutants earlier and was thinking how the he'll did we figure this out?!?!

Buy rockets to fire at purple things, etc

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu May 12, 2016 4:21 pm

David wrote:I was playing bart vs the space mutants earlier and was thinking how the he'll did we figure this out?!?!

Right, its like the Scott Adams adventures, and Hitchhikers Guide etc - I'd love to know how kids would perceive those games today! Because games back then were more hardcore; computer users were the more clever, nerdy types (in general) and the games perhaps reflected this. Nowadays everyone uses their computer so things are a bit different, ie. more user friendly. You get trophies and things every 5 seconds.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu May 12, 2016 9:13 pm

Modern games... They LOOK and SOUND amazing, but I can't see myself ever getting to enjoy them - partially because the current things are so expensive, and also because of the amount of time required to get anything out of them. I'd LOVE to be able to get lost in Fallout 4 or Elder Scrolls V or whatever, but the time doesn't exist. And when I get those urges I just have a go at Time Pilot then go to bed.

That said, the game I've got the most enjoyment out of over the last year is Splatoon - absolutely incredible game that. Matches only last for three minutes, and I play on my mate's Wii U, so there's both of the off-putting factors of modern stuff dismissed with :D
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu May 12, 2016 10:01 pm

ncf1 wrote:
David wrote:I was playing bart vs the space mutants earlier and was thinking how the he'll did we figure this out?!?!

Right, its like the Scott Adams adventures, and Hitchhikers Guide etc - I'd love to know how kids would perceive those games today! Because games back then were more hardcore; computer users were the more clever, nerdy types (in general) and the games perhaps reflected this. Nowadays everyone uses their computer so things are a bit different, ie. more user friendly. You get trophies and things every 5 seconds.
My memory of that time is somewhat different. I recall swapping copies of Spectrum and C64 games across the whole gamut of people at school, from the sporty kids to the thickies to the cool kids and us whiz kids. Yes, there were those among us who knew how to do other things with our computers, but the majority were just gamers. Nothing has changed much with who plays them. They're just more readily accessible now what with mobile gaming on phones and tablets, so that's got a few more women in on it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri May 13, 2016 3:35 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Modern games... They LOOK and SOUND amazing, but I can't see myself ever getting to enjoy them - partially because the current things are so expensive, and also because of the amount of time required to get anything out of them. I'd LOVE to be able to get lost in Fallout 4 or Elder Scrolls V or whatever, but the time doesn't exist. And when I get those urges I just have a go at Time Pilot then go to bed.

That said, the game I've got the most enjoyment out of over the last year is Splatoon - absolutely incredible game that. Matches only last for three minutes, and I play on my mate's Wii U, so there's both of the off-putting factors of modern stuff dismissed with :D
There's a really narrow view of what "modern games" are on this forum sometimes. There's a tendency to just see modern gaming as triple-A releases that appear in the stores on disc. That was what current gaming used to be. The digital releases, which tend to be smaller games based on retro game styles, are far more prevalent than disc based monsters like Fallout 4. The gaming landscape has changed. A lot.
To generalise modern gaming as just the "big" games seems really myopic to me. You can buy a last or current gen machine and never touch a major retail release and still enjoy hundreds of games that look and sound amazing and can be played in short bursts. Maybe not so much on Nintendo's platforms but certainly on Microsoft and Sony's consoles and absolutely on a PC.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri May 13, 2016 4:07 am

60s Hippie for me. Love modern games, love retro games. There are classics in every era, and crap as well. And the good news is you don't have to choose! You can enjoy both and don't have to pick one over the other. I love modern games- My only issue with them is time constraints when getting stuck into them. I love retro games for their simplicity and you can play them for a half hour before other chores kick in :)

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri May 13, 2016 4:13 am

ncf1 wrote:

Kids would probably see Scott Adams' games as dull and needlessly obtuse, which they are. I say that as a massive text adventure fan. Games back then were more "hardcore" because they were essentially designed to simply stop the player in order to artificially increase game length. There wasn't the resources available on the platforms of the day to do anything else really. This harking back to the "hardcore" days of yore and begrudging the youngsters their "easier" games is a bit rich tbh. As young 'uns we killed the arcades at the first opportunity. As soon as home computers and consoles started delivering bigger, better and easier games that didn't kill us every three minutes for a coin we were out of there! Game design has gone from outright daylight robbery to genuine player enjoyment and that was enabled by us back in the day and it's no bad thing imo.
Hardcore is relative anyway. Four kids working together for months on end to produce an amazing castle in Minecraft seems pretty hardcore to me.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri May 13, 2016 5:48 am

The Beans wrote: Games back then were more "hardcore" because they were essentially designed to simply stop the player in order to artificially increase game length.
Aren't modern games guilty of the same thing? Only now they pepper their maps with flags or some other collectable.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri May 13, 2016 6:37 am

theantmeister wrote:
The Beans wrote: Games back then were more "hardcore" because they were essentially designed to simply stop the player in order to artificially increase game length.
Aren't modern games guilty of the same thing? Only now they pepper their maps with flags or some other collectable.
Modern games are guilty of padding but it's not something that usually halts progression. For the most part, modern games are designed to be completed in a way that retro games really weren't. I don't see anything "hardcore" in dying on the 11th level of Manic Miner and having to restart from leve'l 1 and having to do ten levels I know by heart in order to pick up where I left off. All I see is my time being needlessly wasted over and over. Modern games usually dispense with dullness of that sort and the padding of collectables is, more often than not, given as an option. Which is far better game design imo.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri May 13, 2016 7:04 am

There's bound to be some very selective comparisons here for both modern and retro games. Fortunately, a lot of the annoying issues already mentioned on this thread and in previous similar topics that are well known predominantly in some 8 bit games can be averted with save states, cracked versions and cheats etc. Also, "retro games" seem to mean anything from PS2 generation and before (well, pending on who you speak to), which clearly don't suffer from anything like the frustrations discussed.

Its also fair to say that not all modern videogames are timesinks, have 12 hour tutorials, cut scenes longer than the Charlton Heston "10 Commandments" film, use all 72 buttons on the control pad and require a software update to be downloaded every time you turn it on.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Fri May 13, 2016 12:22 pm

We actually read the instruction manuals.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri May 13, 2016 1:54 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote: I'd LOVE to be able to get lost in Fallout 4 or Elder Scrolls V or whatever, but the time doesn't exist. And when I get those urges I just have a go at Time Pilot then go to bed.
There is absolutely no reason why you cant play Elder Scrolls or Fallout in short bursts. If the time exists to play Time Pilot then it exists to play Elder Scrolls. You can save anytime and at almost any location so travel from A to B and save, playing the mission whatever in short bursts next time. It's like reading a book a few pages at a time, you still get the full story just in bite size pieces.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

davyK

Post by davyK » Fri May 13, 2016 2:35 pm

Remember when you bought a console game and didn't have to install it and then wait for updates to download? Sod that.

I'll play anything old or new as long as it suits my tastes and I can play it when I like - not after some patch has been downloaded.

Also local multi-player is better than online. Online is great but it's a compromise.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Fri May 13, 2016 5:57 pm

davyK wrote:Remember when you bought a console game and didn't have to install it and then wait for updates to download? Sod that.

I'll play anything old or new as long as it suits my tastes and I can play it when I like - not after some patch has been downloaded.

Also local multi-player is better than online. Online is great but it's a compromise.
Lol, yeah I bought Driveclub yesterday. I haven't played it yet however since the 13GB update has taken 5+ hours to download and is still downloading as I type. I thought I was used to long loading times with my ZX Spectrum but I certainly hadn't bargained for this in the modern age! Remember games where you just slotted in cartridge and boom, the game was ready to play instantly.

Still, retro games have their faults too of course, just different to modern games as technology improves.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer