Modern gaming is better than retro gaming.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Is modern Gaming is better than retro gaming?

Yes - Modern games are generally more enjoyable for a plethora of reasons.
17%
No - Retro gaming will always be better for reasons I shall explain.
13%
I'm one of those people that can find things to detest in all eras of gaming.
9%
I love all games - much like the gaming equivalent of a drug crazed 60s hippie.
62%

Total votes: 47

ncf1

Re: Modern gaming is better than retro gaming.

Post by ncf1 » Tue May 10, 2016 10:00 pm

I voted all games. No question I play *modern* games more frequently, and my all-time faves would be considered of the 'newer' variety, but I play a mixture and regularly go back to the classic old stuff. I mean sometimes you just cannot beat a quick blast of some of the old classics, and it really does hit the spot; that feeling of getting past the first Donkey Kong screen, or finishing a few Pacman screens, or getting 20 levels of Galaga done just cannot be beat, I think the retro stuff gives a bigger smile on the face for some reason to be honest - or it might just be nostalgia, I don't know. :)

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue May 10, 2016 10:01 pm

I hate to say it but I far more enjoy modern going now to retro, discovering emulation a decade ago was fantastic and lead me to buy and re-buy loads of retro stuff but I am time poor now and get more "bang for my buck' with current stuff.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Tue May 10, 2016 10:53 pm

Don't have the disposable income for current gen gaming and even if I did I doubt I would find much to my satisfaction. Having said that, I grabbed the Steam key for Alien Isolation when it was going for £7.99 on the Humble Bundle site but it will be a very long time before I have hardware capable of playing it.

I run a Linux desktop on ageing hardware so my interest in contemporary gaming is mainly indie, Football Manager and the SCS Truck Simulator games. I also like to think of my PC as a means of preserving older games - for 16-bit and under, that means emulators; for 32-bit and above, it means direct PC ports and getting them to work through Wine.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue May 10, 2016 11:44 pm

I voted I love all games I think when I finish or 1000g newer games on them I don't return to them and mostly sell them on.. Older games like Final Fight are a very happy gaming experience of my youth so I'll always have a fondness for the collection. Hence I am returning to them do enjoy the atmosphere and the motifs of Castlevania, like I say, HAUNTED CASTLE

The last truly great frontier of gaming left for me, that I haven't entered into, was PS4. I haven't bought one before because of the colossal download sizes! So, those Playstation 4games remained unplayed by me:( I bite the bullet and bought a PS4 WOW perfect mix between new and old games releasing HD remakes of older games like Valkyria Chronicles and Odin Sphere as budget Releases with all DLC and blockbusters like Just Cause 3 and Uncharted 4 which has blown me away!!! I never liked the Uncharted games but wow its like playing a film I thought Until Dawn looked good but Uncharted 4 looks even better and full control.. Even the head of Microsoft congratulated Sony of Uncharted 4 which the head off Sony replied "See you at E3"

PS4 games are incredibly superior to last gen-based games in terms of length and graphical superiority. The leap in the graphics from the Snes to PS1 is the same to me with the PS4 compared to everything else before it.. Can't comment on the X Box 1 as I've only played Raiden and Killer Instinct both great games.. But games of the quality that both Wii u and PS4 are coming out with is steering me more to current gen so many brilliant games coming out this year..
Last edited by Shinobi on Wed May 11, 2016 6:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed May 11, 2016 12:34 am

I'm another of those crazy hippies.

On the one hand, most of my favourite games series have gone by the wayside or veered off in directions that I don't like, and many of the greatest developers from those times are either dead or have left the industry. So, retro for the win.

On the other, it's hard to deny the quality and consistency of modern games. Sure, overhyped and buggy crap still get released but it's hard to imagine anything totally unplayable getting so far as a boxed release these days. And there have been some pretty novel ideas in the past few years too.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Wed May 11, 2016 12:34 am

I think, without a doubt, and as much as I want to lie to myself, modern games are 'The Nuts'. No way would I EVER want to play The Lords Of Midnight over Fallout 3, or Turbo Esprit over Grand Theft Auto V. Even 'bad' games these days...usually aren't that bad. I remember a game called 'Damnation' getting mighty dissed a few years back. I got it for a quid. It was a fun quid.

I think it's more about what I MISS. Specifically...the abstraction, vibe, limitation, individuality of older games not geared towards massive demographics. I MISS the 'mad professor' vibe of the Speccy days. The FEEL of the Spectrum. That 'noir' feel. Those little plinky-plonk noises that burbled from inside the machine and sort of 'twinkled' at times. Plinky noises right beneath your fingertips. Sinister, atmospheric-feeling games like Movie, Dustin, Grange Hill (seriously spooky game). That use of imagination you had to use to cover up for the limitations. Everything is explicit now, everything is smooth and fleshed-out. And that is a good thing. Because that is how advancement works.

Back in the day, you'd get games about streakers (Streaker) and binmen (Trashman). And I miss that. But that is more nostalgia of a boom time that brought us to where we are today, rather than fond memories of how those games played.

But there's one thing about most of those old Speccy games...they play like sh!t now. I cannot lie. But I miss that noirish abstraction of the period.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed May 11, 2016 6:05 am

I voted for "all gaming". The very best games of today share the same DNA as the very best games of the past. There's also a lot of frustrating things about modern gaming and legitimate complaints, as there is about retrogaming.

Online multiplayer can be great fun with people I know, but its come at the cost in part of local multiplayer being more overlooked - so i see the benefits of both sides. I see the frustrations people have of modern games becoming more like interactive movies, but its also showing games have more depth.

Love Forza, GTA games, and games like Portal and Heavy Rain, but I would never stop playing games like Super Mario Kart, the pre 10 Final Fantasy games, Street Fighter 2, Speedball 2, Zelda III and Super Cars 2 either.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed May 11, 2016 8:35 am

If you think so, what are you even doing on this site? :wink:

Modern gaming sucks, everything was better before gaming was so mainstream, casual-friendly and money-oriented as it is today. The only thing modern gaming has going for is better graphics and more polish, but I don't care about that if the gameplay is dull. Bring back the 80s and 90s, the times of true innovation and games built by gamers for gamers. :wink:

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed May 11, 2016 8:44 am

outdated_gamer wrote:If you think so, what are you even doing on this site? :wink:
Gman did put in a clear caveat that he does like retro games as well. Technology has improved making worlds more believable and slicker, but like great music and great films, they can be timeless irrespective of the era they came from.

I think its foolish either way to restrict one's self to one time over another. This applies to music, film, television and videogames. Appreciate the art and majesty in human achievement and creativity in all of it!

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed May 11, 2016 8:51 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:If you think so, what are you even doing on this site? :wink:
Gman did put in a clear caveat that he does like retro games as well. Technology has improved making worlds more believable and slicker, but like great music and great films, they can be timeless irrespective of the era they came from.

I think its foolish either way to restrict one's self to one time over another. This applies to music, film, television and videogames. Appreciate the art and majesty in human achievement and creativity in all of it!
Yeah, I'd think that the vast majority of us like both modern and retro games. This is really just a question of which you like more.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed May 11, 2016 8:58 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:

Outside of some cool-looking indie games, there is almost nothing that impresses me on modern gaming. Sure, the graphics are 1000 times better (approaching CGI stuff), but why exactly would I be excited over some flashy, 5 hour long rollercoaster Hollywood-style "AAA block-buster" that will be forgotten as soon as the next generic iteration comes out? Oh wait, so we get to play in a alternate WW1 theme which a talented modding team could have already made on the current game if there were modding tools available, whoopty doo... :wink:

Also, with all the season-pass and DLC things, modern games tend to be really expensive, almost like we would go back to cartridge era (which are great for retro collecting but back then suffered greatly from high costs and limited storage).

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 11, 2016 9:26 am

I voted for 'all games', since I mostly play either modern retro games (older PC stuff that will run on an ancient laptop, my netbook or tablet) or 8 bit stuff via emulation, with a side of PS360. Whatever I have readily available really.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed May 11, 2016 10:03 am

I play all games, but to be fair I haven't bought a 'new' game this year yet, unless it's been in a sale somewhere, and I don't own a PS4 or Xbox One yet as theres nothing out there excites me. Couldn't even get motivated to buy Starfox.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed May 11, 2016 11:21 am

Treguard wrote:I play all games, but to be fair I haven't bought a 'new' game this year yet, unless it's been in a sale somewhere, and I don't own a PS4 or Xbox One yet as theres nothing out there excites me. Couldn't even get motivated to buy Starfox.
I've bought Starfox but still haven't got it out of the box yet. Fingers crossed for a quiet weekend up ahead.

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed May 11, 2016 11:41 am

I play all games, perhaps the best games of the past are still better than the best games of the present, but I do think as a general rule games are getting better, though this is somewhat offset by modern annoyances in how games are delivered to the gamer, but that's not a knock on the games themselves.

I think the 2000s were the sweet spot, great games and lots of both local and online multiplayer stuff going on, lots of the benefits of modern gaming and fewer of the negatives.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823