Modern gaming is better than retro gaming.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Is modern Gaming is better than retro gaming?

Yes - Modern games are generally more enjoyable for a plethora of reasons.
17%
No - Retro gaming will always be better for reasons I shall explain.
13%
I'm one of those people that can find things to detest in all eras of gaming.
9%
I love all games - much like the gaming equivalent of a drug crazed 60s hippie.
62%

Total votes: 47

gman72

Modern gaming is better than retro gaming.

Post by gman72 » Tue May 10, 2016 6:09 pm

It is. It really is.

I love games new and retro, like many here I've been playing games since the early days of gaming, have owned most systems at one point or another and consider myself reasonably knowledgeable about gaming in general.

Like others here I have my favourite retro gaming period and my favourite retro games. SNES and PS1 are my two fave retro systems. Castlevania and Metroid are two of my fave retro franchises... however

I get more fun and enjoyment in general from modern games. The graphical fidelity, the crazy power of modern gaming devices that was the stuff of dreams back when I was young, the advances in game based story telling are leagues ahead of most retro games. The evolution of play mechanics. Some of the things that I love about modern gaming are the things that retro heads claim ruin it.

Let me be clear however. The best that retro gaming has to offer is every bit as good as modern gaming but in general I prefer modern games because of the reasons I have mentioned.

What's your opinion?
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

markopoloman

Re: Modern gaming is better than retro gaming.

Post by markopoloman » Tue May 10, 2016 6:15 pm

I'm a 60's hippy then!

I love retro games and 'like' modern games... but modern games become retro games over time. I like all eras of gaming.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

David

Post by David » Tue May 10, 2016 6:18 pm

I know what you mean. When I go through periods of being bored with retro I go and buy a playstation or xbox or something and play fifa or some shooter or something for a while and think wow how far things have come

BUT

After a short period I don't have the urge to go back and play them. I find them soulless. I had 2 weeks off work and didn't even turn on the ps3 when I had it recently. I had games I bought then couldn't even be bothered trying once I got home

But there are retro games I will always end up coming back to like neo geo stuff, mario world, sensible Soccer etc

So yeah I see what you mean but ultimately retro wins out for me

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue May 10, 2016 6:34 pm

gman72 wrote:It is. It really is.

I love games new and retro, like many here I've been playing games since the early days of gaming, have owned most systems at one point or another and consider myself reasonably knowledgeable about gaming in general.

Like others here I have my favourite retro gaming period and my favourite retro games. SNES and PS1 are my two fave retro systems. Castlevania and Metroid are two of my fave retro franchises... however

I get more fun and enjoyment in general from modern games. The graphical fidelity, the crazy power of modern gaming devices that was the stuff of dreams back when I was young, the advances in game based story telling are leagues ahead of most retro games. The evolution of play mechanics. Some of the things that I love about modern gaming are the things that retro heads claim ruin it.

Let me be clear however. The best that retro gaming has to offer is every bit as good as modern gaming but in general I prefer modern games because of the reasons I have mentioned.

What's your opinion?
Wow, i was going to start a topic just like this yesterday! For me, absolutely yes. I would love to be a youngster in todays gaming environment, its the dogs doodars. Of course there are negatives, but no more than there was back in the day. My love of gaming is stronger than ever and that is down to superb consoles such as ps4, and time sinks of ridiculous quality like destiny, bloodborne, uncharted etc.

Retro is awesome and will always have a place in my heart. But would i swap a nights gaming on destiny with my friends for a gaming session with Super Mario World? Not a chance.

Eat your nans pants

David

Post by David » Tue May 10, 2016 6:43 pm

Online gaming etc would have blown my mind as a kid but it was the start of all the online stuff that put me off modern gaming

Tried it with the original xbox and it was just loud screaming kids shouting racist and homophobic abuse

My wife was looking at me like "what the he'll is this you are doing??"

The less people I speak to in a week the better never mind annoying teenagers :lol:

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Tue May 10, 2016 7:02 pm

I love it all, gotta move with times, but still play old skool stuff, as am just so limited with time to actually play stuff, so it always needs to be more of a quick hit, games are amazingly huge these days, but do require some dedicated game time.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue May 10, 2016 7:32 pm

There was a time, about a decade or so ago, when I considered retro gaming a very necessary thing because if you wanted the old school gameplay of platformers and shooters and suchlike it just wasn't really around on modern machines. You had to go back and do the retro thing to get your fix. The rise of the indie developers through digital distribution has put paid to that for me. Many old games are still great games and I play them now and again but I prefer the same stuff done bigger and better on modern hardware without all the harsh game design from days of yore.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue May 10, 2016 7:43 pm

David wrote:Online gaming etc would have blown my mind as a kid but it was the start of all the online stuff that put me off modern gaming

Tried it with the original xbox and it was just loud screaming kids shouting racist and homophobic abuse

My wife was looking at me like "what the he'll is this you are doing??"

The less people I speak to in a week the better never mind annoying teenagers :lol:

Online gaming would be wonderful if it wasn't for the fact other people use it.

I will admit I generally find it hard to play retro games that I didn't grow up with, but broadly speaking I like the simplicity and purity of just having to get a high score or move from A to B. You also get the entire game included, cheat codes to unlock things you now have to pay for ans no forced multiplayer or social features. That said, there are certain things I do not miss at all, such as limited lives and no way of saving the game. Modern gaming has the advantage of more possibilities, providing narrative and worlds that simply weren't possible before.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue May 10, 2016 8:29 pm

Another vote for modern gaming here. I was raised on 16-BIT machines and I love re-visiting old classics but nothing quite measures up to the gaming experiences that are available now.

For me it's a measure of quality. If I walked into GAME blindfolded and picked something on PS4, it's almost certainly going to be fully-realized and very playable. Thinking back to older systems, that was rarely the case. For every Sonic 2 there were 4 or 5 borderline unplayable games to match it.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue May 10, 2016 8:53 pm

I switvh between both on a regular basis, but the truth is, of I could only choose one then it would be modern gaming.

Analog

Post by Analog » Tue May 10, 2016 9:09 pm

this is something that has crossed my mind over the years. i'm finding its more difficult for me to get excited about modern games. the 90's was so much more exciting to me, and to a lesser extent the 80's. when we hit the 00's my interest started to dwindle with that gen, I still bought and played stuff on pc and on the gamecube,had some great experiences and I have picked up some nice xbox and ps2 titles from retro hunting years later. but I was so much more into the 32 bit and the 16 bit consoles overall, comparitively speaking. I think I probably had more enthusiasm in the 8 bit era too. I do agree that sometimes you get a great buzz from a new game and its not like playing a retro game now, its more like playing that retro game when you were a kid. and that sometimes happens, but its rarer for me now. maybe it's the industry and how it's changed and how certain genres I loved have all but died? or maybe it's how old games had more of a focus on artistic interpretation/licence where as now the emphasis is on realism? it might have something to do with having little access to the current gen as a kid, whereas now I have all the current gen games I want? or maybe it's just to do with getting old and how some people just grow out of current gen? or maybe it's even my depression? or a combination of all of those things combined, who knows.. like I mentioned in the other thread I still get a buzz from some modern games,but its not like it was when I was a kid.
I guess that puts me somewhere between no and hippie. I'll be the one guy who votes no. :)

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue May 10, 2016 9:16 pm

I think you can only be pressured into upgrading from one system to another so many times before you naturally start lagging behind the leading edge, and instead take the time to enjoy all the good stuff on old formats you may have missed in the rush.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Tue May 10, 2016 9:22 pm

I voted I love all games - much like the gaming equivalent of a drug crazed 60s hippie. But sitting on the fence is super laaaame so if I had to pick one then there are more retro games that I Replay many times over. There are very few modern games that I can say that about.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue May 10, 2016 9:50 pm

I prefer to just put everything under the one umbrella of "games" rather than creating separate 'retro' and 'modern' camps (guess I'm a drug-crazed hippie then? Meh, I've been called worse...)

If I was forced to differentiate though then I wouldn't be able to resist the story-telling and rich worlds provided by newer games. Ideally I'd play a full mix but new games tend to take me a lot longer to finish off and combined with my focus also being elsewhere, I rarely have time to set up the old machines. I'd not sell them though and they are certainly always very present, just waiting to be fired up.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

David

Post by David » Tue May 10, 2016 9:55 pm

The dreamcast was the last console to truly blow my mind and is still my favourite console ever and I still think of it as "modern"

Everything since is just shinier versions