If You Had To Choose - Consoles or Computers?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Your choice between consoles or computers as your only lifetime gaming device?

Computers all the way dammit
51%
Consoles for me thanks
47%
Other, like handheld devices
2%

Total votes: 55

davyK

Re: If You Had To Choose - Consoles or Computers?

Post by davyK » Fri May 13, 2016 2:32 pm

Computers are great but consoles are convenient.

merman

Post by merman » Sun May 15, 2016 10:49 am

crusto wrote:True, a certain firmware update which introduced rest mode a actually destroyed my first ps4. Luckily John lewis replaced it no questions asked. That isolated incident aside i dont think you can really compare to PC's. Updating is automated and largely painless (on ps4 anyway). Although a slower internet connection could make it more annoying.

Im yet to have any console stop running a game three quarters of the way through because my console doesn't like the driver for its sound card... This happened during half life 2 on PC, it took me ages to work out what the problem was. Grim Fandango would always crash at the same point. X2 would always glitch out etc etc. Just too much like hard work for me!
And yet I've seen countless people complain about game-breaking bugs, hardware failures and worse with the current generation of hardware - BECAUSE they are more like PCs now, rather than the early consoles with their fixed architecture.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sun May 15, 2016 8:38 pm

I'm surprised how the poll has turned out actually, I thought computers would be well ahead - I figured the little quirks and endearing bits of computers would play a bigger part in the nostalgia stakes. Or perhaps it might be more simply that what you were brought up with, particularly as a first machine, played a part in subsequent machines and therefore a certain loyalty remained. But just another theory I came up with about 3 seconds ago. :D

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon May 16, 2016 5:10 am

It's an increasingly young demographic here, us oldies that grew up with computers in the 80s as our main systems are slowly being overtaken by the youngsters with their Mega Drives and PS1s. Which is fair enough I suppose, since there was something of a computer gaming gap between the ST/Amiga and the cheap home PC. PC games may have been around, but PCs of that inbetween period cost over a grand, so weren't commonplace or quite up to quality gaming. Once you hit later in the 90s, PCs rise up as a more widespread gaming platform, but by then the consoles had raced ahead.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon May 16, 2016 5:23 am

I grew up with the 8bits as my main systems in the 80's. had an amiga alongside the MD and Snes, and even turned PC in the mid 90's.

Still much much prefer consoles though.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Mon May 16, 2016 12:02 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:It's an increasingly young demographic here, us oldies that grew up with computers in the 80s as our main systems are slowly being overtaken by the youngsters with their Mega Drives and PS1s. Which is fair enough I suppose, since there was something of a computer gaming gap between the ST/Amiga and the cheap home PC. PC games may have been around, but PCs of that inbetween period cost over a grand, so weren't commonplace or quite up to quality gaming. Once you hit later in the 90s, PCs rise up as a more widespread gaming platform, but by then the consoles had raced ahead.
yep that's it I keep forgetting retro is becoming "younger" and not everybody hails from the pioneering days here. :)

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon May 16, 2016 12:22 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:I grew up with the 8bits as my main systems in the 80's. had an amiga alongside the MD and Snes, and even turned PC in the mid 90's.

Still much much prefer consoles though.
Pretty much the same here. Still voted console.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon May 16, 2016 1:37 pm

Same here... apart from the turning to PC in the mid 90s.
I voted Consolevania.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon May 16, 2016 3:55 pm

ncf1 wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:It's an increasingly young demographic here, us oldies that grew up with computers in the 80s as our main systems are slowly being overtaken by the youngsters with their Mega Drives and PS1s. Which is fair enough I suppose, since there was something of a computer gaming gap between the ST/Amiga and the cheap home PC. PC games may have been around, but PCs of that inbetween period cost over a grand, so weren't commonplace or quite up to quality gaming. Once you hit later in the 90s, PCs rise up as a more widespread gaming platform, but by then the consoles had raced ahead.
yep that's it I keep forgetting retro is becoming "younger" and not everybody hails from the pioneering days here. :)
Not Really, me, Beans, Gman, and many others are old enough to have cut our teeth on the Speccy, C64 and amstrad.

Its actually quite rude to dismiss our opinions and assuming wrongly that the only reason we voted consoles are because we are too young to have grown up with the 8bit home computers.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon May 16, 2016 5:00 pm

Oh, come on. He's clearly just speculating and not out to dismiss anyone's opinions. He just happens to have been wrong in assuming that most people would pick what they grew up with; the big about home computers being bigger in the UK in the early 80s before consoles really took off seems more or less correct.

Still, I'd certainly be of the opinion that far and away the most vociferous console gamers tend to be the ones who've dabbled with computers at some point in the past but have since put it behind them. I'd not like to attempt to pin down the reasons though, as they're many and varied.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon May 16, 2016 5:59 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
ncf1 wrote:
Not Really, me, Beans, Gman, and many others are old enough to have cut our teeth on the Speccy, C64 and amstrad.

Its actually quite rude to dismiss our opinions and assuming wrongly that the only reason we voted consoles are because we are too young to have grown up with the 8bit home computers.
I'm not dismissing anyone. All I'm doing is highlighting that at one point, there were loads of us who grew up with computers and still preferred those. Times have moved on, we have more younger users who grew up in a console dominant era, so we're slowly being outnumbered. I'm also not suggesting that anyone growing up with computers has to stick with them, of course some of us will have a console preference, again just highlighting the dwindling numbers of us that don't.

So how is this rude? ;)
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Carrot007

Post by Carrot007 » Mon May 16, 2016 6:14 pm

Has to be computers these days for any sane person.

Consoles have all the disadvantages of computers nowadays and none of the advantages.

And to get console quality gfx really does not need an expensive machine. Yes you can go crazy but you don't have to.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon May 16, 2016 10:00 pm

Consoles do have the advantage of getting all the highly promoted titles and Nintendo stuff that never appear on PC, as well as a guarantee the games will run as intended, so depending on your gaming preference they can have the edge.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Tue May 17, 2016 4:19 am

I find that the things that people complain about with PC gaming are the things that draw me to it. I like the challenge of getting games to work and learning more about the games and the hardware in the process. I almost feel like PC gaming on Linux is an RPG in and of itself.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue May 17, 2016 11:10 am

English Invader wrote:I find that the things that people complain about with PC gaming are the things that draw me to it. I like the challenge of getting games to work and learning more about the games and the hardware in the process. I almost feel like PC gaming on Linux is an RPG in and of itself.
hehe that's a good point, and I agree. The nimble fingers required to get a floppy disk to be double sided and save a weeks worth of pocket money... aligning a c64 tape drive perfectly so it plays every damn game... getting the "perfect" Autoexec game which runs everything (how hard was that??!) ... I mean all these endless little things were like challenges/games in themselves. Sometimes hell... but sometimes endlessly rewarding when you figured it out.