If You Had To Choose - Consoles or Computers?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Your choice between consoles or computers as your only lifetime gaming device?

Computers all the way dammit
51%
Consoles for me thanks
47%
Other, like handheld devices
2%

Total votes: 55

NickThorpe

Re: If You Had To Choose - Consoles or Computers?

Post by NickThorpe » Thu May 12, 2016 6:20 am

I prefer console gaming from a practical viewpoint - no fragmented marketplaces, no worries about incompatibility with my hardware. I just pop the disc in, it installs and then works (well, unless I've done something daft like pick up Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5).

merman

Post by merman » Thu May 12, 2016 11:42 am

NickThorpe wrote:I prefer console gaming from a practical viewpoint - no fragmented marketplaces, no worries about incompatibility with my hardware. I just pop the disc in, it installs and then works (well, unless I've done something daft like pick up Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5).
Although in this and the previous generation, consoles are becoming increasingly harder to use. Frequent system updates, game patches and the like are constantly moaned about on Twitter.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu May 12, 2016 1:21 pm

True, a certain firmware update which introduced rest mode a actually destroyed my first ps4. Luckily John lewis replaced it no questions asked. That isolated incident aside i dont think you can really compare to PC's. Updating is automated and largely painless (on ps4 anyway). Although a slower internet connection could make it more annoying.

Im yet to have any console stop running a game three quarters of the way through because my console doesn't like the driver for its sound card... This happened during half life 2 on PC, it took me ages to work out what the problem was. Grim Fandango would always crash at the same point. X2 would always glitch out etc etc. Just too much like hard work for me!

Eat your nans pants

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu May 12, 2016 1:24 pm

Matt_B wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:
Matt_B wrote: Flight simulators though? War Thunder aside, which you can also play on the PS4, it's very much a niche genre these days.
Flight simulators (proper sims, not arcade flight games like Ace Combat) don't even come to consoles, just PC and tablets. Here's some examples of modern flight sims:

DCS World

Aerofly FS

X-Plane 10
Plus IL-2, Flight Gear and the recently resurrected FSX.

My point isn't that there aren't good flight simulators on the PC, as there obviously are, but that it's a niche market and hardly representative of PC gaming where, the big MMOs aside, most people play pretty similar games to those you could get on consoles.

And I'd still recommend War Thunder to anyone new to modern flight simulators. It's got great graphics, fast action and an easy flight model to get you going before the challenge ramps up to something much more realistic. DCS just has too steep a learning curve in comparison, which is why you'll only ever find a hundred or so people online with it, rather than the tens of thousands that War Thunder usually gets.
Personally I don't care if they're not popular, they're still here and willing to accept any "armchair" pilot, if he wishes to dedicate to them. So for me, in-depth flight sims such as DCS are very much representative of PC gaming, more so than easy to get into arcade flight games like War Thunder (although I understand the attraction they have for most people).

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu May 12, 2016 1:59 pm

Consoles for me. Ease of use.

PCs are still a pain in the arse compared to consoles. Patching and updating has become a bugbear for some console users this generation but that's more to do with having to wait before playing than any other reason. Updating on a console is simple and straightforward, it's done for you, there's no work. I've had to hit plenty of forums just to get PC games running in the first place and then again after a patch. You only have to check the tech support forums of a game that's on console and PC. See the difference? That's right, the big fat bloated forum of technical woe is for the PC version. It always is.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

David

Post by David » Thu May 12, 2016 3:36 pm

I did always want an amiga though for sensible world of soccer and champagne manager but they just seemed so fiddly compared to my megadrive

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Thu May 12, 2016 3:43 pm

David wrote:I did always want an amiga though for sensible world of soccer and champagne manager but they just seemed so fiddly compared to my megadrive
Champagne manager does sound like fun. :D

David

Post by David » Thu May 12, 2016 3:44 pm

Haha stupid phone.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Thu May 12, 2016 4:27 pm

The Beans wrote:the big fat bloated forum of technical woe is for the PC version. It always is.
I wouldn't have it any other way. A game like POD Gold with an XBox 360 controller makes it all worthwhile.

skodathegreat

Post by skodathegreat » Thu May 12, 2016 5:07 pm

Computers for me. Although its a very close thing for me.

Historically I have been a mix of both, having great experiences with the Amiga and PC, and equally good times with the consoles.

As much as I could sit on the wall here, Computers edge it. I still do all of my online multiplayer on computers, despite trying to get into Xbox live.

Plus, Civilization just isn't the same on a console.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu May 12, 2016 5:39 pm

skodathegreat wrote:Plus, Civilization just isn't the same on a console.
Civilization VI just announced for October too:

http://www.pcgamer.com/civilization-6-e ... d-to-know/

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu May 12, 2016 5:54 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:Personally I don't care if they're not popular, they're still here and willing to accept any "armchair" pilot, if he wishes to dedicate to them. So for me, in-depth flight sims such as DCS are very much representative of PC gaming, more so than easy to get into arcade flight games like War Thunder (although I understand the attraction they have for most people).
Yeah. There's room for both. War Thunder isn't totally limited to arcade battles though; it's also got the realistic and simulator modes that take it up to the level of pretty much any combat flight simulator bar DCS. I'd doubt they'd convert anyone who's a fan of that game, but for someone who's not played a flight simulator since something like Falcon or Total Air War, I'd think it'd still seem impressively accurate.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu May 12, 2016 7:05 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Shinobi wrote:Thanks Matt I must admit my knowledge of PC gaming I could write on the back of a postage stamp:) Further sinks in when half the games on the list I've not heard off except Dark Souls 3 and GTA.. Regarding games like Dark Souls 3 can only higher end PC's play them and how accessible are they to casual gamers or people with little knowledge of PC's in installing/running at the optimum frame rate etc?
You wouldn't need a particularly high-end PC just to play it. It'll run on pretty much any desktop with a modern 3GHz+ dual core and a DirectX 11 GPU. A fairly modern mid-range graphics card like the GTX750Ti (about £80 if you shop around) is recommended if you want to get a solid 30fps at 1080p like the PS4 version offers. However, it'll still run at lower resolutions with a few frame rate drops on low-end cards, while you'd need something a fair bit more powerful to run it at 4K and 60fps; my GTX970 could do either of those, for instance, but you'd need something like a Titan X to get both. I wouldn't recommend it on a laptop though, unless it was specifically designed for gaming.

Installing it is easy. Just click on the Steam store to buy it, pay your $60, and twiddle your thumbs while it downloads. Click a few buttons for the installer and you're up and running.
My last attempt to play a PC games was Realms of the Haunting and Battle Chess on Windows 7 it was a pig to get running have to mess around with all the settings and when I finally managed to load it, it crashed after getting into the mansion, Battlechess refused to work.. My friend got it running fine doing something in DOSbox or something.. I just assumed all PC games needed some knowledge of PC's to run properly messing around with filters etc, but I'm glad to say you proved me wrong.. I'm honestly surprised how easy PC gaming is compared when I was trying to play stuff like Monkey Island 3(love Murray the talking Skull on that game)

I couldn't even tell you the specification off my Lap Top other then I bought it as it was cheap and it was a Samsung make.. So PC gaming has obviously come a long way since WOW and floppy disc's.. May have to give PC gaming another chance:)
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu May 12, 2016 10:54 pm

Shinobi wrote:My last attempt to play a PC games was Realms of the Haunting and Battle Chess on Windows 7 it was a pig to get running have to mess around with all the settings and when I finally managed to load it, it crashed after getting into the mansion, Battlechess refused to work.. My friend got it running fine doing something in DOSbox or something.. I just assumed all PC games needed some knowledge of PC's to run properly messing around with filters etc, but I'm glad to say you proved me wrong.. I'm honestly surprised how easy PC gaming is compared when I was trying to play stuff like Monkey Island 3(love Murray the talking Skull on that game)
It certainly can take some work getting old PC games running on modern versions of Windows. Still, there are a lot of tools out there that'll help and with the internet being what it is you can usually be sure someone has gone before and documented how it was done.

Also, especially helpful for the uninitiated, places like GOG.com have often done the hard work for you and you can buy a lot of games ready packed to run from them.
I couldn't even tell you the specification off my Lap Top other then I bought it as it was cheap and it was a Samsung make.. So PC gaming has obviously come a long way since WOW and floppy disc's.. May have to give PC gaming another chance:)
I'd be extremely wary of trying to play modern games on a laptop where you're uncertain of the spec; they're typically a lot less powerful than even the cheapest desktops and your upgrade options are very limited. There's still quite a lot of good stuff you can play on them though, but at the very least try to find out what CPU and GPU it has and how much RAM, so you can compare that with the minimum spec for the games. That said, if something from Steam doesn't work it's very easy to get a refund these days; you've just got to make sure you give it a try before the two weeks run out.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri May 13, 2016 4:10 am

This is tough for me, but consoles has to be it for me. But tricky to play text adventures on! :)