If You Had To Choose - Consoles or Computers?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Your choice between consoles or computers as your only lifetime gaming device?

Computers all the way dammit
51%
Consoles for me thanks
47%
Other, like handheld devices
2%

Total votes: 55

outdated_gamer

Re: If You Had To Choose - Consoles or Computers?

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed May 11, 2016 12:56 pm

theantmeister wrote:For me, it comes down to what I could do without: Mario or Civilization.

I really couldn't give up either!

Console and Computer games are at their respective best when they aren't trying to ape each other.
However, if Super Mario Bros. was on the Amiga too and made good use of it's extra graphical, sound and processing capabilities, it would have been the superior version of the game. While games like Defender of the Crown and King's Quest V were ported over to the NES, let's just say they weren't all that great on it. :wink:

This applys to modern games too, as I doubt the consoles could handle the complexity and simulation with tons of units on screen at once of games such as Total War, ArmA and Civilization with the low-clocked and weak CPUs they have, but rest assured a game like Uncharted would look and run better on a high-spec PC if it were ported over and wasn't a messy port.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed May 11, 2016 1:07 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
theantmeister wrote:For me, it comes down to what I could do without: Mario or Civilization.

Console and Computer games are at their respective best when they aren't trying to ape each other.
However, if Super Mario Bros. was on the Amiga too and made good use of it's extra graphical, sound and processing capabilities, it would have been the superior version of the game. While games like Defender of the Crown and King's Quest V were ported over to the NES, let's just say they weren't all that great on it. :wink:

This applys to modern games too, as I doubt the consoles could handle the complexity and simulation with tons of units on screen at once of games such as Total War, ArmA and Civilization with the low-clocked and weak CPUs they have, but rest assured a game like Uncharted would look and run better on a high-spec PC if it were ported over and wasn't a messy port.
So what, its irrelevant as those games are not available on those platforms.

I would not be too quick to assume NES games would be better on amiga either TBH. Castlevania, Battletoads, and TMNT's show this. Not to mention the issue of control methods.

So rather than speculate how good nes games would be on amiga, why not take actual samples, because the Amiga came out pretty BAD.
Last edited by RodimusPrime on Wed May 11, 2016 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed May 11, 2016 1:08 pm

Matt_B wrote: Flight simulators though? War Thunder aside, which you can also play on the PS4, it's very much a niche genre these days.
Flight simulators (proper sims, not arcade flight games like Ace Combat) don't even come to consoles, just PC and tablets. Here's some examples of modern flight sims:

DCS World

Aerofly FS

X-Plane 10

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed May 11, 2016 1:13 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:

So what, its irrelevant as those games are not available on those platforms.

I would not be too quick to assume NES games would be better on amiga either TBH. Castlevania, Battletoads, and TMNT's show this. Not to mention the issue of control methods.

So rather than speculate how good nes games would be on amiga, why not take actual samples, because the Amiga came out pretty BAD.
Pretty sure even a older PC can handle NES emulation just fine. :wink:

Unless you want to nitpick and insist on "official" releases. Nevermind things like level editors and hacks that turn those old console games into something else existed for a very long time on the PC.

Sure, sloppy ports weren't good, we all know on examples such as OutRun. There's no reason why the Amiga version of OutRun would be worse than the Master System one, but it was. Just a sloppy port, nothing more.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed May 11, 2016 2:06 pm

so is your choice computers or consoles, outdated_gamer? :lol:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed May 11, 2016 2:32 pm

gman72 wrote:so is your choice computers or consoles, outdated_gamer? :lol:
As gaming and content creation devices, computers, but I find all systems interesting in their own ways. :wink:

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed May 11, 2016 2:35 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
As gaming and content creation devices, computers, but I find all systems interesting in their own ways. :wink:
don't we all. The topic says if you had to choose.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Wed May 11, 2016 3:02 pm

I'm always going to prefer consoles. But computers are useful in other ways.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed May 11, 2016 3:05 pm

All three..... because it's about the games.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed May 11, 2016 3:05 pm

gman72 wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:
don't we all. The topic says if you had to choose.
No offense to TC but I find topics like these a bit pointless. I gamed on consoles when consoles were still cool, now I game (just) on PC, the platform where there are no limits. :wink:

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed May 11, 2016 6:02 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
Matt_B wrote: Flight simulators though? War Thunder aside, which you can also play on the PS4, it's very much a niche genre these days.
Flight simulators (proper sims, not arcade flight games like Ace Combat) don't even come to consoles, just PC and tablets. Here's some examples of modern flight sims:

DCS World

Aerofly FS

X-Plane 10
Plus IL-2, Flight Gear and the recently resurrected FSX.

My point isn't that there aren't good flight simulators on the PC, as there obviously are, but that it's a niche market and hardly representative of PC gaming where, the big MMOs aside, most people play pretty similar games to those you could get on consoles.

And I'd still recommend War Thunder to anyone new to modern flight simulators. It's got great graphics, fast action and an easy flight model to get you going before the challenge ramps up to something much more realistic. DCS just has too steep a learning curve in comparison, which is why you'll only ever find a hundred or so people online with it, rather than the tens of thousands that War Thunder usually gets.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed May 11, 2016 6:32 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
No offense to TC but I find topics like these a bit pointless. I gamed on consoles when consoles were still cool, now I game (just) on PC, the platform where there are no limits. :wink:
The only games I've downloaded to my PC are Half Life Source, Half Life 2 Update and Postal 2 because I don't consider PCs a cool platform.

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed May 11, 2016 7:45 pm

Consoles by a mile for me. I've done my fair share pc gaming over the years but ultimately found it to be too much of a faff. Besides, nowadays x2 type sims are making the jump to console with relative ease. That type of game was the main reason I invested in pcs anyway. No need anymore..

Eat your nans pants

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed May 11, 2016 8:17 pm

gman72 wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:
The only games I've downloaded to my PC are Half Life Source, Half Life 2 Update and Postal 2 because I don't consider PCs a cool platform.
Yeah, but they're all old games. Dismissing modern PC gaming on the strength of those three is a bit like saying modern console games don't do it for you based on Wind Waker, Halo and GTA III. I'm sure you'd agree that there have been a few exciting developments since then. You said as much in the other topic that you enjoy modern games because of the graphical fidelity and processing power that the current generation platforms have, so it seems a bit strange that you're not in the least bit curious as to what the PC might have to offer in that department.

Then again, don't bother with Postal 3. It's awful.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu May 12, 2016 4:58 am

Computers. The main reason being that they can do flight sims(as I think got mentioned a couple of posts ago). Okay, they're very niche nowadays - I think Falcon was big on the PC back in the 1990s(mainly because of LAN parties), but I'm sort of thinking more of the 16 bits era with the Amiga and ST, and things like F-19 Stealth Fighter, F-15 Strike Eagle II, F-18 Interceptor, etc.

Consoles are great for get up and go. I love the PC Engine and Dreamcast. I can see the appeal of them - but I voted for computers, just for more variety in their gaming genres.