If You Had To Choose - Consoles or Computers?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Your choice between consoles or computers as your only lifetime gaming device?

Computers all the way dammit
51%
Consoles for me thanks
47%
Other, like handheld devices
2%

Total votes: 55

ncf1

If You Had To Choose - Consoles or Computers?

Post by ncf1 » Tue May 10, 2016 4:08 pm

This might have been done before, I don't know, but this is the 2016 version in order to embrace all newbs ;)

This is something Ive often wondered about : if you could choose from the very beginning of your gaming life to have either ONLY a string of computers as your lifetime gaming system, or ONLY consoles as your only lifetime gaming system, which would you choose?

Would you for instance have gone the computer route and had, say, a Spectrum, then Amiga, then PC maybe, or would you have loved to have gone the console route and cajoled Santa into putting an Atari 2600 under the Christmas tree and progressed to say an NES then Megadrive, PS1, etc etc.

Essentially, are you a COMPUTER guy or gal or a CONSOLES guy or gal is what it boils down to. Or screw all that gimme handhelds but you gotta be nuts.

David

Re: If You Had To Choose - Consoles or Computers?

Post by David » Tue May 10, 2016 4:51 pm

Console for me.

I had a spectrum as a kid but when I upgraded to a NES that was me.

Tried pc gaming in the days of the 486 and it was just too fiddly getting stuff to work.

Plug in a cartridge and it just works

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue May 10, 2016 5:35 pm

David wrote:Console for me.

Tried pc gaming in the days of the 486 and it was just too fiddly getting stuff to work.

You didn't vote then. I've just voted consoles and it says mine is the only vote for them so far.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue May 10, 2016 5:38 pm

Consoles are going to win this by a country mile! (although sensibly, computers are winning at the mo!)

Computers all the way for me. I do like the Xbox, Wii, Wii-U, Neo-Geo, PC Engine and ummm the VCS but they will never be enough.... I love PC gaming. No matter how many people say PC's are crap for gaming or hark on about PC owners getting all superior and going on about the specs of a game, it is still one of, if not the most 'complete' gaming system available.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue May 10, 2016 5:43 pm

markopoloman wrote:Consoles are going to win this by a country mile! (although sensibly, computers are winning at the mo!)

Computers all the way for me. I do like the Xbox, Wii, Wii-U, Neo-Geo, PC Engine and ummm the VCS but they will never be enough.... I love PC gaming. No matter how many people say PC's are crap for gaming or hark on about PC owners getting all superior and going on about the specs of a game, it is still one of, if not the most 'complete' gaming system available.
In all honesty, marko, you have never been one of those PC owners that gives others a bad name.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

David

Post by David » Tue May 10, 2016 5:54 pm

gman72 wrote:
David wrote:Console for me.

You didn't vote then. I've just voted consoles and it says mine is the only vote for them so far.
Never noticed the vote

Done :)

ulrich7ad

Post by ulrich7ad » Tue May 10, 2016 5:59 pm

Easily consoles for me. Never been able to get used to playing with a keyboard or on a monitor, just feels wrong for me. I know you can use a pad and hook them up to tv's easily these days but it just seems such a faff imo.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue May 10, 2016 6:59 pm

My vote goes with computers. I've always preferred playing games on a computer, and I've had lots of both consoles and computers, I don't know, I guess its the feel, the quirkiness, the open-end-ness of computers that I love so much. The versatility, being able to explore a game in a number of ways, playing around with settings.. yes, the flexibility and versatility especially for me.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue May 10, 2016 7:10 pm

Consoles for me. I'm not opposed to PC gaming, I've done my fair share and would again, just prefer the relatively simplicity of consoles and I need my Nintendo franchises fix.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

playzooki

Post by playzooki » Tue May 10, 2016 7:25 pm

Computers for me. I like to be able to customise stuff, not the few versions of each console. For me, i find most stuff works fine unless i'm trying to run something from 15 years ago on win10 or something, although when i get it to work, PCs have fantastic backwards compatibility. Also lots of free/cheap pc games out there, and the low cost of spectrum/c64/etc games. i find it a lot cheaper.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue May 10, 2016 8:51 pm

Consoles easily for me. Simply down to the fact that most of my favorite games have never ever even appeared on computers, or those that did were gimped ports back in the day.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue May 10, 2016 9:00 pm

Consoles by a mile wouldn't touch PC Gaming with a 10 inch specially disinfected barge pole, all these boring flight sims and grind fest WOW games, still think the old eight bits are great... I do have an old laptop(few years old) all of this Emulation might be so much more exciting to me but my gaming desire has been crushed due to sound failure! I love to hear the music, sound effects of games; it adds enormously to the atmosphere of a game, but currently I've lost all audio. Until I recover this, my Mame gaming has halted.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue May 10, 2016 10:15 pm

Shinobi wrote:Consoles by a mile wouldn't touch PC Gaming with a 10 inch specially disinfected barge pole, all these boring flight sims and grind fest WOW games,
Do you think PC gamers all sit playing WOW games and flight sims then? :? I don't like flight sims and have never played a WOW game! I do play Racing games, First Person Shooters, 3rd Person Shooters, RTS, platform games, arcade shooters, puzzle games etc. etc.

Making out that PC gamers all play different stuff to console gamers is a bit silly really.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue May 10, 2016 11:36 pm

I'll go for computers. Most of my happiest gaming memories are on machines like the ZX81, Spectrum, Amstrad CPC, Atari ST and, when everything else fell by the wayside, the PC.

I certainly enjoy consoles too, and there are three current generation machines in the house that I've picked up about 60 games between, but just not as much.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue May 10, 2016 11:44 pm

markopoloman wrote:
Shinobi wrote:Consoles by a mile wouldn't touch PC Gaming with a 10 inch specially disinfected barge pole, all these boring flight sims and grind fest WOW games,
Do you think PC gamers all sit playing WOW games and flight sims then? :? I don't like flight sims and have never played a WOW game! I do play Racing games, First Person Shooters, 3rd Person Shooters, RTS, platform games, arcade shooters, puzzle games etc. etc.

Making out that PC gamers all play different stuff to console gamers is a bit silly really.
Yeah, MMOs might be where the big money is these days but they're hardly the totality of PC gaming. Pretty much all the genres you can play on consoles will also be represented on PCs too. Sometimes they're better, sometimes they're worse; overall, its good to have a choice of platforms.

Flight simulators though? War Thunder aside, which you can also play on the PS4, it's very much a niche genre these days.