Enemies you hate in games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

n-g-m

Re: Enemies you hate in games

Post by n-g-m » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:07 am

The Grim Reaper and the end of stage 15 in Castlevania on the NES. Four hit and you die and he teleports all over the place, chucks multiple boomerangs at you at once and battling against Simon's own jump. Many a NES controller took some punishment. Fluked him a couple of times and eventually finished it but pure evil!

And then there was Ligar (last boss on Rygar). Impossible unless you are fully powered up. Which is only if you've made it through the castle unscathed first time. If you die there is no way to power up again - needless to say I never did beat him!

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:41 am

Shinobi wrote:
Mortis wrote:That ridiculously toughest Omega Weapon in FF8 and also those stupid Dark Aeons in FFX which takes you to find ridiculously hidden items and stupid tasks just to get the weapons to beat them.

Maleficient in Kingdom of Hearts has a horrible laugh and also there is a ridiculously hard hidden boss at thevend, I think in the 2nd one.
Never knew there was any Weapons in FF8 was he like a skeletal looking thing?

I beat that winged dark aeon normally but used Yojimbo to beat a few others and somebody telling me I was cheating and using Yojimbo didn't count Those Bee Girls where hard enough to beat normally let alone the Dark Aoen version but where insanely overpowered when you got to use them.. The only way to beat the Dark Aeons was Auto Phoenix seeing as they did 9999 damage to the whole party every turn.. I did get Auron's, Rikku and Tidus ultimate weapon..

The weapon in the Piano on FFX2 I could never beat either the rest of the game was really easy
There were 2 in ff8. Ultima at the bottom of the deep sea research centre (bottom left of the map where you get bahamut, go back in after for a second dungeon) and Omega weapon if you use the piano/bell the right way on disk 4 in Ultimecias castle.

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:03 pm

Vega in Streetfighter II. I still think he's the hardest enemy to fight. Mainly, because of the fence climbing trick that he does - and then attacking you with a jump. I think he's even harder than M. Bison.

Dracula in Rainbow Islands. I could never get past him. He's on the third level - "Monster Island". He moves around the screen to all of the corners - so it's tricky to dodge him - and he releases bats everywhere. I think a number of magazines just recommended getting all the gems and skipping him altogether.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:05 pm

Grizzly wrote:Image

*Fumes*
I raise you these:

The ones from Starlight Zone which don't fire their spikes... aaargh!

sebadude

Post by sebadude » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:34 pm

Sureshot wrote:
Grizzly wrote:Image

*Fumes*
I raise you these:

The ones from Starlight Zone which don't fire their spikes... aaargh!
Hahah I was going to mention Slicer, looks like he's a(n) (un)popular choice!

You have to add Asteron to the list too, same zone as well, pesky Metropolis! :)

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:29 am

Caterkillers from the original are gits as well - it's the fact that you have to be pixel perfect to take them out, which I don't think is the case for any other Badnik.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:38 am

Sticking with the Sonic theme - the crab enemy in Metropolis Zone (Sonic 2) with the giant extending claw can bugger off as well. Lost more rings than I care to remember to that little bastard!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:39 pm

Also, the Gordos in Kirby because you can't eat them! So frustrating...

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:00 pm

ShadowMan wrote:Sticking with the Sonic theme - the crab enemy in Metropolis Zone (Sonic 2) with the giant extending claw can bugger off as well. Lost more rings than I care to remember to that little bastard!

Seems pretty much every enemy in Metropolis zone gets our goat. If it wasn't for the epic music I would probably hate that level.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:59 am

Those green octopus things from Medievil 2 that keep re-animating zombies or clamp on Dan's own body, requiring you to mash buttons to shake them off. Take flippin' ages to kill as well and they scoot about all over the place :x

The huge thugs in Yakuza games that somehow earn themselves massive health bars from being fat and wearing puffer jackets. Can't throw them either. Probably not that bad in all honesty (beating them up is pretty fun) but they just annoy me for some reason.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:11 am

Megamixer wrote:Those green octopus things from Medievil 2 that keep re-animating zombies or clamp on Dan's own body, requiring you to mash buttons to shake them off. Take flippin' ages to kill as well and they scoot about all over the place :x

The huge thugs in Yakuza games that somehow earn themselves massive health bars from being fat and wearing puffer jackets. Can't throw them either. Probably not that bad in all honesty (beating them up is pretty fun) but they just annoy me for some reason.
Now you mention Yakuza... guys with guns can be really annoying when you have a group of enemies to fight since you'll be fighting a group of enemies and then get sniped from afar... really annoying!

Dead Souls had a few annoying enemies as well - the enemies in the hoodies with headphones on are a pain to deal with if you don't get them quick, as they are fast and often cause the crappy camera to have a fit when trying to track them.
Grizzly wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:Sticking with the Sonic theme - the crab enemy in Metropolis Zone (Sonic 2) with the giant extending claw can bugger off as well. Lost more rings than I care to remember to that little bastard!

Seems pretty much every enemy in Metropolis zone gets our goat. If it wasn't for the epic music I would probably hate that level.
Yeah, the enemies in that zone were all really annoying. Even Robotnik at the end was a right pain to damage without taking damage yourself... While I certainly don't hate the zone, I feel that absorbing Cyber City Zone into making a third Metropolis act just makes the end of the game feel bloated.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:49 am

The Chyrsalids in the original X-Com game - those things going around creating zombies - for some reason they seem more deadly in the original game.

In the recent reboot - I'd say that the Sectoid Commanders and Ethereals with their mind control are really pains in the backside!

In the Long War mod for the reboot of X-Com - it's those Thin Men Snipers. They can shoot at you from so far away - a real pest.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:13 am

Been playing Bloodborne a lot lately, and while almost all enemies I've met I'm perfectly fine with (just takes a bit of practice in order to learn their attacks), there is one enemy that I can't stand - and that is the weird enemy that steals insight from you - using a really, really annoying grab attack that has one really long animation. Its not actually the attack, or even the fact that it steals insight from me that annoys me - its the long animation where you can't do anything during. Afterwards you get up off the floor, slowly... thankfully they are very rare to encounter, but there is one (thankfully optional) area in the game where you come across several in quick succession. Not fun in the least...

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:28 am

The first that comes to mind is that frakking helicopter in the first Syphon Filter game. How I hate that thing... :x

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark