The most disappointed you've ever been in a release

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

DPrinny

Re: The most disappointed you've ever been in a release

Post by DPrinny » Sat May 07, 2016 6:23 pm

In an actual release as in when it came out

Metal Slug X - PS
It constantly got put back, then when it finally came out next to no stores had it

We <3 Katamari - PS2
Apparently stores got very little of this game in stock when it came out, had to wait a week for the next batch, thats even after preordering it

Disgaea 2 - PS2
Preordered via Game online for the free art book, they messed it up and I didnt receive either of them, got a refund in the end
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Sat May 07, 2016 6:28 pm

T2 on the c64
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Sat May 07, 2016 7:54 pm

StreetFighter 2 Turbo on the SNES. FIFTY pounds for a slightly faster version of the same game with some playable boss characters that weren't really that fun to play as and some murkier-coloured background graphics. Fifty quid was a LOT of money back in 1993. Still a lot, these days.

Superb game. But not a fifty quid upgrade.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat May 07, 2016 8:50 pm

Theme Park on the SNES - loved playing the PC version at my friend's house, and since my computer wasn't powerful enough to run it I couldn't wait for the chance to have a version of my own. Was completely gutted when I got a stripped down version where you couldn't even make proper rollercoasters. Of course an exact recreation wouldn't have been possible on a 16-bit consoles, but I wasn't old enough to understand such things and was expecting a straight conversion

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat May 07, 2016 9:25 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:I liked Red Steel. The swordplay was overly restricted in its use and implementation and the rubber arm was silly, but it was a decent FPS with some good set pieces. I gather the sequel sorted things out a bit but never got round to it.
Yep. Thanks to Motion+, the you could finally do what you wanted with the sword. Okay, so you were still fairly limited as to what was possible but at least you weren't stuck with a set of pre-determined inputs to pull off some form of special move. I really enjoyed the sequel but unfortunately I wasn't so keen on the desert/steampunk theme. If you could blend the controls of the sequel with the setting of the original then I think I could find an essential game there.
the_hawk wrote:I think the biggest disappointment was Spyro on the PS2. All 3 games in the PS1 trilogy were superb & I was really looking forward to seeing how good the game was going to be on the next generation... Turns out, not great.
Can't believe I forgot this. The PS1 games were like a religion to me so when the fourth installment (on superior hardware!) turned out to be bland and soulless with no end of glitches and lock-ups, I was pretty deflated to say the least. It made more sense when I realised that Insomniac had offloaded the franchise though. I think I got a lot more enjoyment from Season of Ice on the GBA which had a bit of a Spyro 3 feel to it.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat May 07, 2016 10:15 pm

Monkey Island 4. The franchise was trampled into the dirt with an utter disgrace of a release.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat May 07, 2016 10:25 pm

oh yes.. I actually upgraded my PC to play Monkey Island 4... another profound disappointment. That was a biggie.

joefish

Post by joefish » Sat May 07, 2016 10:53 pm

The Conduit on the Wii. Wow, a first person shooter on my favourite console, with precision aiming from the remote. It should have been amazing. Instead it was a very limited corridor shooter with no freedom to go anywhere. It might as well have been one of those laserdisc games that streamed the scenery of a disk and just had you shooting pop-up targets.

Final Fantasy 7 - supposed to be the most amazing game of a generation. There just wasn't any enjoyment to be had from wandering around a few pre-rendered screens hoping to happen across the random bit of stilted dialogue that would move you onto the next few screens - if you weren't being randomly plucked out of that 'game' into a pointlessly complicated and repetitive battle system. Realising it was just going to go on and on was like finding Jack and the Beanstalk on the Spectrum was actually a multi-load with 12000 screens to play through.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun May 08, 2016 7:49 pm

Another one I've just remembered was Gran Turismo 3. It wasn't a bad game, and it looked really nice, but after the revalation of the first game and the sheer amount of content in 2 I expected so much more. Fewer cars, fewer cups, fewer tracks, less fun

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Sun May 08, 2016 8:34 pm

One thing you CAN say about GT3 is that it still looks stunning today. For a 15 year old game it looks absolutely gorgeous.

DaveDoc1984

Post by DaveDoc1984 » Tue May 10, 2016 12:24 pm

Gran Turismo 5. Didn't seem like enough of an improvement or a step up from GT4. Sure Graphically it looked decent on PS3 but the physics felt exactly the same as the PS2 GT4 IMO.
In to Retro Gaming Pickup's? Light hearted reviews of both Modern Day and Retro Video Games? Check out my YouTube Channel!

http://www.youtube.com/DaveDoc1984
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1ESj3JPPnT

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Tue May 10, 2016 1:37 pm

Medal Of Honor: Frontline on the PS2, played the first two to death on the PS1 but Frontline was pants in comparison to Allied Assault on the PC, might have enjoyed it more if I didn't play Allied Assault before hand.

dste

Post by dste » Wed May 11, 2016 9:19 pm

Arkham City

Not by any means a bad game but after the fantastic Arkham Asylum which I love City just felt like a game that was big for the sake of being big. Half the stuff that was in there due to the size of the city was dull like finding the telephone boxes and going forwards and backwards across the city to complete the missions and such.

Sometimes size isn't everything.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu May 12, 2016 9:09 am

dste wrote:Arkham City

Not by any means a bad game but after the fantastic Arkham Asylum which I love City just felt like a game that was big for the sake of being big. Half the stuff that was in there due to the size of the city was dull like finding the telephone boxes and going forwards and backwards across the city to complete the missions and such.

Sometimes size isn't everything.
Agree with this. Asylum was a brilliant game which I happily played all the way through, City just seemed too big and I got bored really quickly.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Thu May 12, 2016 9:17 am

Aliens: Colonial Marines *drops the mic*
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image