The most disappointed you've ever been in a release

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

JamesC

Re: The most disappointed you've ever been in a release

Post by JamesC » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:38 am

I was most disappointed in Rebel Strike.
Rogue Squadron was really good on the N64 and then Rogue Leader on the Cube surpassed it in every way and was, at the time, mindblowing.
Rebel Strike isn't a terrible game but so much of it just doesn't really work. The on-foot sections added nothing and weren't very well implemeted (bringing back memories of Urban Strike).

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:01 am

Battlefield 3 on the Xbox360 - I rarely pre-ordered back then and I was so into BC2 - I was sure this would be awesome, but honestly, I was gutted. I just didn't find it fun. I tried to keep going with it but was always left frustrated.

Probably not a terrible game really, and my expectations were probably way, way too high after BC2 - but still, very disappointed.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:32 am

RetroAerosmith wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:38 am
Not to mention you had to turn the tape over to listen to the outrun music while playing the game.

For the time and spectrum limitations, they were good days. But recently looking back on a lot of games i loved as a kid, I said to myself....Really? did I spend a summer in my room playing this??

The likes of Hunchback, Manic miner where I've never seen past the 3rd level..., kung fu master.

just totally awful games now.
Hunchback at the time i didnt mind as when it came out it seemed so great, but yeah hasnt aged well. Same for Full Throttle on the Speccy with the flickery graphics, back in the day i loved it. Aged badly !!!

Manic Miner i spent some time with and got quite far. Kung Fu Master - YES another nightmare one (As was Breakthru'), loved these arcade games and they were SO bad on the Speccy. Huge shame

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:45 pm

APB on the CPC (lol). Played the arcade machine while on holiday, got home having found a copy for the Amstrad and it didn't even load.
More recently, Doom 3, Thief 3 and Homeworld 2 all were released about the same time. I loved the games that had come before but hated all 3 of these. Prett much killed my interest in PCs at the time.
Someone mentioned Shadows of the Empire previously. I had great time with that back in the day, though I've no doubt it's aged horribly.

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:13 pm

Yep I thought Shadows of the Empire wasn't bad - have to remember it was a launch title as well for the N64 so probably the go-to game if you wanted something beyond Mario 64.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:26 pm

Pacific wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:13 pm
Yep I thought Shadows of the Empire wasn't bad - have to remember it was a launch title as well for the N64 so probably the go-to game if you wanted something beyond Mario 64.
Yeah for a long time I brother (who owned the 64) had only Shadows and PES.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:58 pm

In terms of sequels;

Renegade 3
Resident Evil 3
EDF: Insect Armageddon
PES6
Tenchu 2
Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun
Magnetron
Skyrim
Ghost Recon: Future Soldier

Original games disappoint me all the time but I usually put that down to my own taste or reviewers who hype stuff up. Wartech: Senko no Ronde is the worst money I've spent in the last ten years.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:06 am

What was the issue with Insect Armageddon? I liked the original 360 game but never tried the sequels.
I also really liked Tiberium Sun but didn't get on with any other C&C. I guess that would make sense of you're a fan of the series.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:49 pm

'Gazza's Super Soccer' on the Amstrad CPC. Paid £14.99 for the disk version. Complete unplayable mess. Couldn't even take it back as I lost the receipt. Still gutted!

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:30 am

Gears 5. Have spent 2 evenings this week trying to play through this co-op. So many glitches that have led to reloading the game.

Including but not limited to: Character getting stuck in a horse, button config being changed after death, being unable to back out of a screen as prompt greyed out and general connection issues.

Last night we progressed our game clock 1.5 hours in 3.5 hours of play. It's so frustrating because the game is really good when it works.

Nin10dofan

Post by Nin10dofan » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:11 pm

I was disappointed nearly twenty years ago with banjo kazooie gruntys revenage on game boy advance. Nintendo I think took some of the gameplay out of it so it was over very quick .still a great game except for that. Also viewtiful Joe on gamecube there was two different games there was one for €30 which after two days got very repetitive and dearer one for €200 which I went back and bought ( it was brilliant )

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:54 pm

After the xbox360 I was gutted when the xbox1 was released and I got my hands on it , only to find that the bliddy thing spends more time on updates both hardware and software than I had time to play it .
Spent more time waiting than playing , eventually I bunged it in the loft and stuck the xbox360 back under the telly .
Good riddance!
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:44 pm

Many times I've sat expecting something and it's only wind.

Sorry not that kind of realease.

Games I'd say Need for Speed Payback, it promised customisation and the all new amazing super duper M5.

Customisation was really limited, not even a fraction of what you could do in Carbon that was released a decade earlier, the Derliects a.k.a the rip off attempt of Forza Horizon somehow made a fun treasure hunt tedious and when you eventually got themyou were forced to build them one way and that was it.
The card system was ridiculous and pretty much hindered any enjoyment in car set up, the Hero Cars you found based on prior games usually were nothing more that replicas (e46 was a normal M3 in a bodykit rather than the GTR).
Don't get me started on the voice acting and the Rory Reid knock-off character.
Watching you sleep since 1990

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:57 am

The new Contra on the Switch just download the demo.. graphics are super dark looks like 360 XBLA game! Hell even the much maligned PS2 Contra looks better.

I hate the cool down system really stops the flow of the game you can change weapon to get around the cool down then back, don’t like how you slow right down when you fire makes very hard to dodge. Random zombies fly into the screen just obscuring the view. No Lance the character is replaced by some generic meat head who swears all the time, and don’t get me started on throwing trucks threw waves of the undead. I didn’t even finish the demo I just turned it off it was that bad,

After the brilliant DS Contra and Contra Reborn on the Wii, as well as Blazing Chrome that is everything a new Contra should have been this is going to flop
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"