The most disappointed you've ever been in a release

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

mr jenzie

Re: The most disappointed you've ever been in a release

Post by mr jenzie » Thu May 12, 2016 11:23 pm

HARD DRIVIN' and SUPER SOCCER on the sinclair spectrum

the first was so bad i actually took it back
i still HAVE supper soccer lulz

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu May 12, 2016 11:45 pm

Max Payne 3 I guess its a good game in its own right just not a good Max Payne game..

Nightmare on the Atari 2600 couldn't wait to get home and play it was back in the shop an hour later telling them it didn't work..
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Fri May 13, 2016 1:10 am

When you can get a game as swish, playable and good-looking as Max Payne 3 down at GAME for 99p, as I did about 4/5 weeks back, you start realising reality.

Rockstar did a fcking good job and made a super-sexy game (with weird directions, I'll admit). Max Payne 3 is pretty damn badass.

Remedy made a fcking great Max Payne pseudosequel about a guy in dark forests using a torch. I love that game, too. Double whammy, best of both worlds. :D

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri May 13, 2016 4:16 am

joefish wrote:The Conduit on the Wii. Wow, a first person shooter on my favourite console, with precision aiming from the remote. It should have been amazing. Instead it was a very limited corridor shooter with no freedom to go anywhere. It might as well have been one of those laserdisc games that streamed the scenery of a disk and just had you shooting pop-up targets.
Not forgetting the way it would sometimes spawn you inside a wall in the multiplayer, the drab design and the generic weapons. I suppose it was saddled with a ridiculous amount of expectation - alongside the likes of HotD: Overkill, Madworld and Dead Space Extraction - that the Wii would develop some sort of mature-rated games scene.

Ah well, the one thing it really got right was the controls. I just wish there was a way to transplant them into the worthwhile shooters on the Wii such as Metroid Prime 3 and GoldenEye, which do feel a little clunky after you've played it.

MatOfTheDead

Post by MatOfTheDead » Sat May 14, 2016 5:10 pm

Duke Nukem Forever i got caught in the hype since 2001 pre ordered the collectors edition felt so much dissapointment i played it once finished it and put the CE at the back of my wardrobe where it still sits

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Sat May 14, 2016 5:38 pm

I really don't think DNF is that bad, and for the one to two quid or less you can get it for nowadays, it has its moments. Bit frustrating in parts and a pity it doesn't play like the original but there's still lots of fun stuff to see and do and it's got a nice 'chunky' feel to it.

And ALSO for the 1-2 quid you can get it for...Colonial Marines ain't an awful game, just a fun FPS. There. I said it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat May 14, 2016 6:05 pm

Get past the opening and DNF becomes what it should of been

Aliens CM is also an ok game

Last boss is sh*te mind

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Sat May 14, 2016 6:12 pm

For a quid, you can't go wrong. In all honesty I found Colonial Marines a lot of fun and to see it at 99p in GAME is pretty freaking sweet (and I like the shiny cover, too!). Now is the time to mop up all those FPSes with single player campaigns you were always curious about. A disappointing game at £40 suddenly becomes a lot better when you're paying a penny less than Poundland prices. ;)

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sun May 15, 2016 1:24 pm

Easily Spore, by miles...

I wanted the original Spore they was supposed to be made, what I got was EAs dabbling that producedcommercial kiddy rubbish!

I wanted a game like Real Spore for ages, decades... And it was announced, started, looked good, and never happened :(
But am I still angry? ....

We'll yes, yes I supposition I am...
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon May 16, 2016 10:03 am

Duke Nukem Forever really wasn't that bad. It was certainly no classic (and doesn't deserve to be) but it never had a chance in hell of living up to the expectation and hype. Personally I enjoyed being transported back to a simpler time with the amusing quips and complete disregard to political correctness or people being offended by everything (the latter of which does my head in these days). So many funny moments such as throwing turds, scrawling obscenities in that kid's autograph book or hearing Duke say "Eat sh1t and die".

I would have to admit however that it's probably a much more rewarding experience today when you can pick the game up for a few quid rather than full price (though I seem to remember the RRP tumbling through the floor at a very quick rate).
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Nin10dofan

Post by Nin10dofan » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:49 am

I bought viewtiful Joe for the gamecube it got repetitive after a week then I found out there was a dearer one for 200 euro which was really good

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:19 am

Hmm.. probably Rise of the Robots on the MD, after all of the screenshots and talk of the graphics, and then when you actually played the game for the first time!
JazzFunk wrote:
Sat May 14, 2016 5:38 pm
I really don't think DNF is that bad, and for the one to two quid or less you can get it for nowadays, it has its moments. Bit frustrating in parts and a pity it doesn't play like the original but there's still lots of fun stuff to see and do and it's got a nice 'chunky' feel to it.

And ALSO for the 1-2 quid you can get it for...Colonial Marines ain't an awful game, just a fun FPS. There. I said it.
Yes but.. picture it. You loved Aliens the film (there was a generation for whom its within every action fans top 5). There has never ever been a game that's even come close to capturing the feel of the film, the way the Aliens came from the walls, panicked smart-gun fire etc. The trailer showed all of these things and more.. Then the game is released and you get to play it for the first time.. I won't say more, the memory is too painful! :D ;)

Completely agree it's probably worth a couple of quid now. But, it was the massive hype, the deliberate misleading through the trailer, what a whole subset of fans were expecting from the game, and then they were handed something that was quite different. It's the disappointment!

DNF was a bit different I think as people had more or less given up by the time that game arrived, whatever form it was in!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:05 am

Superbowl (Ocean - Speccy)

Love american football, ordered this off some mail order place. Took forever to come as it was delayed loads, finally got it and it was awful and bug ridden. So disappointed, after that i vowed to always copy any Ocean game. Felt ripped off

Knight Rider (Ocean - Speccy)

I say i would never buy another Ocean game but i did at the big Olympia show. Again this was awful, just looked so cheaply made, terrible graphics, sure it used the Speccy font as well in the game. Complete waste of money, vowed again never to buy another Ocean game ;)

Out Run (US Gold - Speccy)

LOVED this in the arcade, screenshots looked 'okay' but boy oh boy was it slow. I 'tried' to like it but god it was awful

Double Dragon (Speccy)

Think this must have been about 1988, had some money for once - first job. Played this in an arcade in Bracknell around this time, couldnt wait to get this but again. God what a dud. I 'tried' to force myself to like it but nah. Abysmal

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:38 am

Not to mention you had to turn the tape over to listen to the outrun music while playing the game.

For the time and spectrum limitations, they were good days. But recently looking back on a lot of games i loved as a kid, I said to myself....Really? did I spend a summer in my room playing this??

The likes of Hunchback, Manic miner where I've never seen past the 3rd level..., kung fu master.

just totally awful games now.

icemann

Post by icemann » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:29 am

Two games for me:

GTA 4 - Yes the game looked good, and yes action was great and yes the strip clubs were great. But all the really good stuff from Vice City and San Andreas were removed entirely. Purchase-able businesses / locations - Gone. RPG elements - Gone. Territory control - Gone. GTA 5 fixed quite a few of these issues by bringing most of that back.

Command and Conquer 4 - This game is an absolute abomination. Gameplay COMPLETELY changed from the past games in the series. The only good thing in it is that they kept the cheesy FMV style. Everything else is changed and not for the better. My most hated sequel of all time. GTA 4 was at least an entertaining game. C&C 4 I uninstalled after an hour of gameplay.