The most disappointed you've ever been in a release

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

ncf1

The most disappointed you've ever been in a release

Post by ncf1 » Fri May 06, 2016 6:29 pm

The two that stand out for me, where I was profoundly disappointed and felt let down as in heartbroken almost or found out that Santa Claus might not be all that he was cracked up to be were :

Double Dragon on the C64 : this was THE game every kid wanted so desperately and for what seemed an eternity, upon release kids literally laughed at the Melbourne House effort, it was just an incredibly crushing experience. It was so bad some kids even started turning to the dark side in seeking solace in consoles, ie. the NES.

Outrun on the Amiga : and then once thinking upgrading to the 16-bit dream machine in the Amiga and believing wholeheartedly that upon release it would be arcade-quality, leaving all competitors in its wake and knowing that you could have a hearty chuckle at friends who owned dreadfully sub-par versions on their machines - and then seeing the utterly woeful, mouse-oriented, soul-destroying, unplayable mess that also stole your month's pay and was far, far superior on the 8-bit PC Engine, was just about the worst experience ever when it came to waiting for a release. I mean this was bad.. I remember getting dacked at the school canteen where hot chicks and ugly guys alike viewed my lily white bottom that even the sun did never dare to glean, but this was even more embarrassing, and I recall playing it like, 2 more times for about a minute and a half and never, ever playing it again. I wont even watch a video of it on Youtube, I am that scarred.

Any worse experiences out there? Please do tell!

gman72

Re: The most disappointed you've ever been in a release

Post by gman72 » Fri May 06, 2016 6:36 pm

Alien Syndrome on the Master System.

Pre-ordered it when it appeared on the Telegames mail order list which was a good couple of months in advance at least. I got very excited as I was a massive fan of the arcade machine but when it eventually turned up it was a weak, flick screen effort that just didn't do it for me at all, it just seemed to not have the essence of the arcade machine. The music was pants too.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri May 06, 2016 6:50 pm

gman72 wrote:Alien Syndrome on the Master System.

Pre-ordered it when it appeared on the Telegames mail order list which was a good couple of months in advance at least. I got very excited as I was a massive fan of the arcade machine but when it eventually turned up it was a weak, flick screen effort that just didn't do it for me at all, it just seemed to not have the essence of the arcade machine. The music was pants too.
I see what you mean.. just looking at it on YT, doesn't really capture the essence of the arcade game at all.. yeah wow.. its bad. But the arcade version's a great game and in fact I think I might fire up mame and give it a go, that's one gem I haven't played in ages.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Fri May 06, 2016 6:57 pm

Outrigger for Dreamcast

Believed to be the second coming of first person competitive shooters on consoles,with use of keybaord and mouse, with alleged online mutiplayer.

What was released was a generic first person shooter of a round based nature, with no online multiplayer besides score challenges and ranking systems

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Fri May 06, 2016 8:03 pm

After being teased with Banjo Threeie for ages we got Nuts aand Bolts in the end which was a massive
disappointment.

Not necessarily a bad game in its own right, I haven't played it enough to decide but definitely not what was expected.

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Fri May 06, 2016 8:42 pm

Lots of people went mad on when Tomb raider was released and the hype. I'm not saying that it was a bad game far from it but I felt it was massively over rated.

I also felt that Eternal Champions was a game that was over-rated as it got rave reviews but the only enjoyable bits were the 2 player mode and watching the fatalities. 1 player was ok until the last boss character as they made him far too difficult to beat - not only that the game wouldn't give you any continues to try again.

David

Post by David » Fri May 06, 2016 9:08 pm

Rise of the Robots. I paid £59.99 of my birthday money for this on CD32 when I was a kid and it was just soul destroying when I realised how bad it was

Showdown Legends of Wrestlemania. The 3rd installment of the series and had the perfect roster etc. Was drooling over screenshots and possible matches for months and it was just so glitchy. Choose ultimate warriors 3rd outfit and we he runs out to the ring he HAS NO FACE.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri May 06, 2016 9:20 pm

Soul Calibur V for me. Was mega hyped for this and when it came out, the graphics were fantastic and the character creation superb...

...BUT...

- Chararacter selection = rubbish (too many crappy anime-styled descendants, lots of the classics missing)
- Forgettable music
- Too many changes to a fighting system that didn't need changing. Super move type of things were added and the legendary Guard Impact now relied on meter stock. Are you serious?!?

Far from being a 'bad' game but I was severely disappointed and struggled to want to play it much. Probably spent more time creating characters than fighting with them :| . More or less went straight back to SCIV.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Fri May 06, 2016 9:22 pm

David wrote:Choose ultimate warriors 3rd outfit and we he runs out to the ring he HAS NO FACE.
Here's one you can photoshop on to there...

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/File ... haking.gif

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat May 07, 2016 4:58 am

Funny the OP mentions Outrun, as Turbo Outrun on C64 is one of mine. It reviewed really well and starts with some great music, but then you have to wait for the first level to load from the tape. Start playing and it's pretty good. Game over. Reload level. Try again, game over, reload level. The multiload is slow and utterly kills it, since you spend longer loading than racing. I gather the disk version sorts that out, but who actually owned a floppy drive when it cost more than the C64? I think I fired it up about 3 times in attempt to get my money's worth but had to accept that I'd wasted my money.

Morpheus on C64. Andy Braybrook had done some cracking games previously and following the dev diary in Zzap this sounded good. Reviews were promising, as were the screenshots, but it's a prime example of technical achievement over gameplay. Having the player ship massive on screen was novel, but it left little room to see anything and made the game look fairly static when I was supposed to be playing a shmup. The core 'gameplay' element of decaying weapons and such was a pain in the butt and further detracted. I really tried to get into this one as it had promised to be special, but I can't look back on it fondly. The best I can say about it is that it has a nice box.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat May 07, 2016 6:50 am

I actually like Turbo Outrun,then again I never really bothered about multi-loads. I was happy back in the day to play DOTC over ( i think) 6 sides of 3 cassettes on the C64 and other stuff like Labyrinth.

My biggest disappointments include Shadows of Empire. After seeing the first level playing through I had to get it. So I did, played it through immensley enjoying it, then came the later 3rd-person levels that were utterly abysmal.

Also Zoids on the Speccy. Loved the toys, loved the review and screen shots, went out and bought it - and was very disappointed.

Kick Off 3 I would have been disappointed in if I hadn't first seen a review in Amiga Power. Having loved the first two (esp 2) this was a disgrace.

Non-game related, the release of the 'new' Crash with the free game attached - was absolutely shocked and upset to see that my favourite mag had been destroyed.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat May 07, 2016 8:23 am

Here we go

South Park 64, the mags praised it, played it, it was a dull FPS plagued with fog and a never ended stream of turkeys
For the same idea done better try Painkiller

Red Ninja, broken mess of a game with good ideas, implemented badly
For a better ninja game try Shinobido

Red Steel, Oh wow a FPS with sword play, to bad it was iffy and the sword bits could be won by waggling
For a game that does this right try Shadow warrior (recent one)

Mario 64, heralded as the best 3d platformer, to bad I find all 3D platformers a bit naff, give me a side on view damn it
For a game that did it better, try Geoman

Wario ware Wii, how do you go from a simple explanation, to heres the pose now do it, not good for people that are just sitting down to play
For a game that did it better, try the one on Gamecube
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat May 07, 2016 8:42 am

paranoid marvin wrote:I actually like Turbo Outrun,then again I never really bothered about multi-loads. I was happy back in the day to play DOTC over ( i think) 6 sides of 3 cassettes on the C64 and other stuff like Labyrinth.
I don't mind multiloads in general, I played Gunship off tape and that'd take half an hour to get going, but Turbo Outrun was something of a misnomer. Turbo it was not, for an arcade racing game the loading broke the game up too much.

I liked Red Steel. The swordplay was overly restricted in its use and implementation and the rubber arm was silly, but it was a decent FPS with some good set pieces. I gather the sequel sorted things out a bit but never got round to it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Sat May 07, 2016 8:53 am

I've bought so much guff over the years, World Cup Carnival (speccy) Double Dragon (speccy) Chase HQ (C64).

I think the biggest disappointment was Spyro on the PS2. All 3 games in the PS1 trilogy were superb & I was really looking forward to seeing how good the game was going to be on the next generation... Turns out, not great.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

David

Post by David » Sat May 07, 2016 8:55 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
Kick Off 3 I would have been disappointed in if I hadn't first seen a review in Amiga Power. Having loved the first two (esp 2) this was a disgrace
Have said it on here before (to great shock all round) but I absolutely HATE the first two kick off games and kick off 3 on snes was one of our favourite games when we were at school