PS4 V XBone

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

outdated_gamer

Re: PS4 V XBone

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed May 04, 2016 7:15 pm

Bone's games that interest me:

Rare Replay, Master Cheif Collection. Everything else is/will be on the PC or doesn't interest me.

PS4's games that interest me:

The Tomorrow Children, Dreams. Not interested in the other stuff as I don't like movie games but I'm curious how the next-gen Gran Turismo will turn out.

I do my gaming exclusively on the PC this gen. From the consoles I'm only really interested into Nintendo, but for various reasons I was not yet able to adopt their platform.

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Thu May 05, 2016 5:14 am

I bought the Xbox one about a year after it was launched. It is a really good console with lots of depth to it. I haven't bought a PS4 as yet but I am interested to see what it has got and also want to play SF5.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu May 05, 2016 9:29 am

In all honesty Both machines are great. Which ever one you get will provide more than enough.

I went for the Xbox this gen, With the WiiU as a 2nd console. I love both consoles and have plenty of games I really enjoy. I dare say that I would love the PS4 just as much if I had gotten that as well TBH.

Despite the sales i don't think either of them are much better than the other.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Thu May 05, 2016 9:32 am

I've got all 3 and I must admit I have a real soft spot for the XBone.

Prefer the controller to the Dual Shock 4.

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Thu May 05, 2016 10:42 am

I'm a lucky so n so as I own all three.

WiiU - fell in love with it early on and will go down in history for me as one of the missed opportunity consoles. They could have done so much more with it. But as it stands - has one of the smallest libraries of any major console and for the most part, even the Nintendo one's haven't been good enough. The best game on the console is Windwaker IMO - an update of an older game. The fact they didn't even put out a mainline Mario game speaks volumes and even the Zelda game will be the poorer cousin of the NX version. Hardly touch it now. :(

XB1 - got it for xmas. A decent console in general. But the controller feels really plasticy to me - how they went from having one of the best controllers of all time (tm) for the 360 to this one is surprising (I know some people like it - just my opinion). The online store and Games on Gold is nowhere near as easy to use as the PS4 counterpart for me. I struggle to find stuff on it and the deals are nowhere as numerous. Games wise. None of the exclusives have blown me away tbh. Tomb raider wasn't as good as the first, GOW has aged a bit now, Rare replay is pretty cool, Sunset Overdrive is fun but lacks longevity for me. The fact is however, that any multi console game I want, I'll probably buy it on...

PS4. A clear winner so far IMO. The controller isn't as cool as the PS3 DS, but is ergonomic I think (the touch pad in the middle is just a waste of space though.). The online store is just awesome - might not look pretty but finding deals and games is So easy. I like the front end of the console too - the lie of recent games taking centre stage, little HUB that comes up for each game showing updates, DLC and even community stuff - really nice. I like the library too - better than XB1's little group in the bottom corner. This feels like my games are centre stage.

As far as exclusives go, hasn't been great on PS4 either tbh - must be something about this gen and platform owned titles I guess. There are some big hitters on the horizon though - Uncharted, GT, Last guardian (yeh, right), No mans sky, Yakuza.

Yeh. Sorry XB and Ninty guys - I don't consider myself a fan boy at all. Last gen, the 360 won, this gen belongs to the PS4. :)

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu May 05, 2016 1:20 pm

^ I see where you're coming from with the Wii U, though I'd say Mario 3D Land is easily the best Mario game I've ever played (save for, maybe, 64). Likewise, Mario Kart 8 is easily the best MC to date (imo!). I'm satisfied with the first party out-put for Wii U, beats the Wii anyway.

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Thu May 05, 2016 1:47 pm

Rayne wrote:^ I see where you're coming from with the Wii U, though I'd say Mario 3D Land is easily the best Mario game I've ever played (save for, maybe, 64). Likewise, Mario Kart 8 is easily the best MC to date (imo!). I'm satisfied with the first party out-put for Wii U, beats the Wii anyway.
3D land is a fantastic game but isn't as good as 3D world on 3DS nor is it anywhere near as good as M64 and the 2 galaxies IMO.

MK 8 is very good no doubt but I'm not a huge MP gamer so is a bit lost on me - the SP side if the game is decent but not big enough to keep me playing for long. I still long for a new DKR with full adventure mode. :)

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu May 05, 2016 1:49 pm

Rayne wrote:I'm satisfied with the first party out-put for Wii U, beats the Wii anyway.
Personally I see the Wii as being much stronger, same with third-party releases. That said, the Wii-U has more than enough quality games to make it worth owning. I love mine.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Thu May 05, 2016 2:56 pm

Not even had my hands on a Xbone controller, so my opinion is very biased but including myself there is 5 of us at work, who all went from 360 to PS4 and decided not to opt for the Xbone. I made a slightly earlier change to PS3 just to get my hands back used to the controller, but still kept my 360.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Thu May 05, 2016 5:40 pm

After neglecting my ps3 the first few years and hogging the 360' i only used the ps3 for exclusive titles, then ps+ became an amazing offer. my xbox usage dwindled, i bought a vita too.
My ps4 is now my main console, the shop is clear and always has clear offers and genre menus. The cross buy options for vita use is amazing too. The promised "every game can be streamed to your vita" is a reality...playing the last of us om the vita is possible....utiilisng the touch back panel is awful though for the missing R2 and L2 buttons.

i had a xboxone for christmas, the UI is awful, really bad. Cluttered options that scroll in every direction.,for a games console your games are hidden in option after option....put a disc in the ps4 and itll play, put it in an xnbox and it will spend half hour (if your lucky) updating and installing. Rare replay for instance installs every single game on the xbox whether you want to play it or not...so ive got ten game tiles cluttering my game wall for one disc.
The store is poorly laid out with no prices until you click on the tile to go into the description, if there are offers on theyre not clear, not really any genre menus just those youtube type options like recommended games or because you have thisnyou may like this. Its sad because such basic stuff stops it being a decent consile that it should be.

My wiiu has only just had a resurgence in interest as i moved the console into the same room, as it seems the connection between pad and console isnt as strong as nintendo likes to believe. Rarely any sales on games and theyre quite overpriced. Bought a game on ps4 that is now on vita?? here have it free as a crossbuy -sony.
Bought a game on the wii marketplace?? Well we will give you a discount instead if you want to play it on the wiiu. I bought mario kart 64 on the wii marketplace...to play on wii u i can buy it again at a discount....nah..

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu May 05, 2016 7:47 pm

RetroAerosmith wrote:put a disc in the ps4 and itll play, put it in an xnbox and it will spend half hour (if your lucky) updating and installing.
Totally respect your opinion but I have to call this out. Having played multi-plat titles on both systems I can tell you that the install times are literally the same.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri May 06, 2016 2:20 am

RetroAerosmith wrote:. Rare replay for instance installs every single game on the xbox whether you want to play it or not...so ive got ten game tiles cluttering my game wall for one disc.
You're talking bollocks there mate. You can cancel the installs from the Apps & Games manager and remove any game tile you want. Don't blame the console when it's just you being a thicky.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri May 06, 2016 2:45 am

I see a couple of comments about not liking the feel of the Xbox one controller. I've been using the Xbox one Elite controller for a few months now and it's been well worth the money. Massively customisable and the build quality is exceptional, I couldn't go back to use using the original. I even use it on my PS4!.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Fri May 06, 2016 3:09 am

oh i know you can delete the tiles....got..was probably the wrong word...had..would be better. Its not one tile for rare replay as a game whole which would have been better (for me) and more practical (for me) if there was a way you could have selected the game you want to play rather than installing them all..picky i guess and im sure its probably the only game thatll do it, im not that thicky yet....

Oh if you mean that i can go onto the "queue" option and cancel an install... I probably didnt try that,no, but as someone that has an iphone but uses it mainly as a phone rather than the mini pc most use it for then id probably be wrong. If msoft or sony to be fair expects all newcomers to know everything about everything to do with its console when,lets be honest most just want to put in a game and play then this gen is baffling.

Whether my experience with the ps4 is different with loading times but the ps4 never seems to be as slow as the xbox ...for me personally.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Fri May 06, 2016 3:10 am

oh i know you can delete the tiles....got..was probably the wrong word...had..would be better. Its not one tile for rare replay as a game whole which would have been better (for me) and more practical (for me) if there was a way you could have selected the game you want to play rather than installing them all..picky i guess and im sure its probably the only game thatll do it, im not that thicky yet....

Oh if you mean that i can go onto the "queue" option and cancel an install... I probably didnt try that,no, but as someone that has an iphone but uses it mainly as a phone rather than the mini pc most use it for then id probably be wrong. If msoft or sony to be fair expects all newcomers to know everything about everything to do with its console when,lets be honest most just want to put in a game and play then this gen is baffling.

Whether my experience with the ps4 is different with loading times but the ps4 never seems to be as slow as the xbox ...for me personally.