PS4 V XBone

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

crusto

PS4 V XBone

Post by crusto » Wed May 04, 2016 10:27 am

Time for some schoolyard aggro :D

Last gen was pretty evenly contested by the big two overall. But after around 3 years of this gen it would appear the PS4 is emerging as a clear winner, selling the same amount of consoles last year as Microsoft have sold since launch. Having owned both I can say objectively that I prefer sonys offering this gen, i even traded the xbone for another PS4.

Microsoft have been sonys censored so far, can they turn things around? Discuss.

Eat your nans pants

theantmeister

Re: PS4 V XBone

Post by theantmeister » Wed May 04, 2016 10:45 am

3 years?! :shock: :cry:

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed May 04, 2016 10:49 am

Having owned both I would say the Xbox one provides the superior gaming experience. The UI is nice and well thought-out, the online is extremely solid and the controller is one of the best I have ever used. That being said, most of my time is spent on PS4. In terms of games (which, frankly, is the ultimate judge of quality) it has more titles that I personally want to play.

On an industry level, the PS4 certainly seems to be well-ahead sales wise, if you care about that sort of thing. They look set to take some interesting leaps with VR, PS4K, etc. As for X1's future plans...I remain excited to see where they go/what they do in future.

When we look at last gen, the PS3 lagged terribly behind thanks to terrible marketing, bad performance and a lack of exclusives. By the end of last gen, both systems were even at (approx.) 80 million units. The PS4 is ahead right now, but there's no reason why the X1 wouldn't catch up later in the life cycle.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Wed May 04, 2016 10:58 am

theantmeister wrote:3 years?! :shock: :cry:
and i still don't see enough on either system to convince me one way or another*. crazy, eh.

*may say more about me than the consoles, but so be it if that's true.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed May 04, 2016 11:12 am

Rayne wrote:In terms of games (which, frankly, is the ultimate judge of quality) it has more titles that I personally want to play.
I got the PS4 at launch purely based on all the noise coming out about DRM and Kinect when this generation kicked off. I've stayed with the PS4 for the games.

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed May 04, 2016 11:13 am

I don't have either yet, but I think Sony are damaging themselves with talk of an upgraded console (4K) at the same time as their VR offering. This leaves them wide open to doubt as to whether VR will be any good on an existing PS4 or whether the 4K will be needed for the 'better' (i.e. soon enough 'standard') experience - thus alienating existing users and putting off potential buyers until things are clearer. It's like SEGA with the accelerator chip carts / 32X / CD add-ons all over again.

Just Cause 3 nearly persuaded me to buy a PS4. If No Man's Sky had come out in time I'd have bought one for Christmas, but now I'm waiting to hear about peoples' experiences with or without 4K on VR.

As for the XBox One, it hasn't even occurred to me to buy one. I had the original XBox and thought it was great, but by the end of its life was tired of the American FPS-led EA-ruined scene and how the few enjoyable remaining on-line games were summarily trashed to push the 360. Plus you'd imagine it was harder to come up with a dumber console name than 'Wii', but somehow Microsoft managed it...

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed May 04, 2016 11:57 am

I see the standard of this forum doesn't dare to raise itself past the usual schoolboy threads.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Wed May 04, 2016 11:59 am

For me there's no contest in terms of games, the PS4 caters to my tastes very nicely. Except for Halo there just aren't any system exclusives that make me want to get an XO

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed May 04, 2016 12:03 pm

Rayne wrote:When we look at last gen, the PS3 lagged terribly behind thanks to terrible marketing, bad performance and a lack of exclusives.
From where I'm sitting, the PS3 had much better exclusives and was a better seller.

I think it's clear that the PS4 is superior to the Xbone, both technically and with sales.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed May 04, 2016 1:49 pm

necronom wrote:
Rayne wrote:When we look at last gen, the PS3 lagged terribly behind thanks to terrible marketing, bad performance and a lack of exclusives.
From where I'm sitting, the PS3 had much better exclusives and was a better seller.

I think it's clear that the PS4 is superior to the Xbone, both technically and with sales.
Not at first. As an early adopter I can tell you those critical first few years were AWFUL for PS3. Exclusives?! What exclusives? After Uncharterd we waited for Lair, which sucked. We then waited for Haze, which sucked. It wasn't until the end of 2009, nearly two years after launch, that we finally got exclusives that were worth playing! Toward the end of the life cycle, things certainly picked up on the game side of things :)

The point I'm making is that it's still very early in this generation, plenty of time for the X1 to do EXACTLY what the PS3 did. Win back confidence, produce quality software and catch-up with the competition :)
Last edited by Rayne on Wed May 04, 2016 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed May 04, 2016 1:50 pm

nakamura wrote:I see the standard of this forum doesn't dare to raise itself past the usual schoolboy threads.
Kind of agree really. We spent most of the first few months of this gen doing this, let's just enjoy our consoles rather than this continuous, tedious arguing about which is better. Also threads like this just give a platform to the I-really-cant-see-the-appeal-of-these-machines brigade and we all know that can only be a bad thing.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed May 04, 2016 1:56 pm

gman72 wrote:
nakamura wrote:I see the standard of this forum doesn't dare to raise itself past the usual schoolboy threads.
Kind of agree really. We spent most of the first few months of this gen doing this, let's just enjoy our consoles rather than this continuous, tedious arguing about which is better. Also threads like this just give a platform to the I-really-cant-see-the-appeal-of-these-machines brigade and we all know that can only be a bad thing.
What fun is gaming without good old fashioned 'Mine is better than yours?' :D

Seriously though, nothing wrong with a bit of perspective. I'm interested to see what people do and don't enjoy, might wind up with a few recommendations!

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed May 04, 2016 2:20 pm

Rayne wrote:Not at first. As an early adopter I can tell you those critical first few years were AWFUL for PS3. Exclusives?! What exclusives? After Uncharterd we waited for Lair, which sucked. We then waited for Haze, which sucked. It wasn't until the end of 2009, nearly two years after launch, that we finally got exclusives that were worth playing! Toward the end of the life cycle, things certainly picked up on the game side of things :)
You forgot Heavenly Sword, which sucked :(

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed May 04, 2016 5:19 pm

theantmeister wrote:
Rayne wrote:Not at first. As an early adopter I can tell you those critical first few years were AWFUL for PS3. Exclusives?! What exclusives? After Uncharterd we waited for Lair, which sucked. We then waited for Haze, which sucked. It wasn't until the end of 2009, nearly two years after launch, that we finally got exclusives that were worth playing! Toward the end of the life cycle, things certainly picked up on the game side of things :)
You forgot Heavenly Sword, which sucked :(
:lol: :lol: I guess there was resistance...it didn't technically suck. It was just brown. So, so brown :shock:

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed May 04, 2016 5:47 pm

PS4 has the games that I want so there's no contest. Very happy with the UI and the much improved install/update times versus the hell that was the PS3 updates! I still play my PS3 (and have no intention of getting rid of it) so switching between the two types of install times is certainly interesting :lol:

Haven't used an Xbox One so I'm in no position to comment on the hardware. Software-wise, there aren't really any exclusives that pull me in but I admit to directing a jealous sideways glance toward Rare Reply, Forza and Killer Instinct.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.