Will Nintendo ever regain top spot?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Will Nintendo end up like Sega?

Yes, theyll get it right with the NX.
25%
Nope, they are doomed to failure.
75%

Total votes: 24

HEAVYface

Re: Will Nintendo ever regain top spot?

Post by HEAVYface » Wed May 04, 2016 4:56 pm

also a matter of opinion, but Nintendo games usually have beautiful visuals (that age far better than other studios more 'mature' efforts). despite the hardware deficit to the other consoles these games are mostly at 60fps too.

I would say the games are quite visually diverse, pikmin 3 (realistic), Yoshi wooly world (super tactile looking) and splatoon (like jet set radios better looking sister) these plus more in a single gen look nothing like each other. the Mario 3d world game is spectacular to look at and Mario kart is no slouch either despite being up to 4 player split screen.

tonally I suppose Nintendo games are generally upbeat, at their most dour, they can be melancholic, but never overly aggressive or vicious - but is that really a bad thing? personally sign me up for some happy gaming.

I get the third party thing, I really do...but there are so many options to play those type of games out there, do Nintendo really need to go that way too? I hope that they don't.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed May 04, 2016 6:10 pm

killbot wrote: The problem is, Nintendo fans like quirky Japanese titles. Nintendo could certainly afford to buy up some western developers and put out some military shooters, GTA clones or sandbox RPGs but the people who love these games might not want a Nintendo console and those that do might not want those games.
Well that's the deal with Nintendo for several years now, no? Those who like Nintendo games and niche Japanese games buy a Nintendo system to play them, for everything else there are other systems. The problem is when more people start to think "why buy a secondary system just to play Nintendo games on it when I could have that on my PlayStation/Xbox/PC/Mobile?". In your own words, if you want Battlefield, GTA or The Witcher and aren't interested into what Nintendo has to offer then there is nothing that could stimulate you to buy their system. And it's not like Nintendo themsleves are overtly interested in delivering another high-profile Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness or F-Zero game.

But this is still just the "core gamer" perspective and doesn't explain why those who were buying the Wii en mass and weren't even interested in traditional gaming in the first place dropped Nintendo like a hot potato this generation. Make no mistake, it was that kind of audience that made the Wii big, not conventional video gamers.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed May 04, 2016 6:18 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:But this is still just the "core gamer" perspective and doesn't explain why those who were buying the Wii en mass and weren't even interested in traditional gaming in the first place dropped Nintendo like a hot potato this generation. Make no mistake, it was that kind of audience that made the Wii big, not conventional video gamers.
There's no mystery there. They're on phones and tablets.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu May 05, 2016 4:57 am

The Beans wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:But this is still just the "core gamer" perspective and doesn't explain why those who were buying the Wii en mass and weren't even interested in traditional gaming in the first place dropped Nintendo like a hot potato this generation. Make no mistake, it was that kind of audience that made the Wii big, not conventional video gamers.
There's no mystery there. They're on phones and tablets.
Indeed. My expectation for the near future for Nintendo is that they'll split in two - collaborating with mobile developers to bring their casual-friendly titles to mobile leaving the NX as a proper 'hardcore' console.

Nintendo will be fine as long as they continue to make games people want to play, which at the moment they're still doing. It's just that they need to work out the best way of getting their games into the hands of people who want to play them. The other thing in their favour, as I said in another thread a while ago, is their ability to make very cost-effective hardware which means they don't have to sell anywhere near as many machines as their competitors before they turn a profit; MS's Xbox division famously took years to turn a profit whereas Nintendo were making money on every Gamecube and Wii sold from day one.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Thu May 05, 2016 6:01 am

Nintendo have stated quite a few times in the past that they don't perceive themselves as competing with Sony and Microsoft in the way they did with Sega back in the old days.

Nintendo pretty much know that it'll be almost impossible to convince the people who play Playstation & Xbox games almost religiously to come over to any Nintendo format, so therefore they generally try to produce games that are likely to appeal to those who normally wouldn't play games. The Wii has already been covered several times as an example of this, but I'd just like to highlight the DS line.

Granted, Nintendo have dominated the handheld market since the release of the original Game Boy, but games like "Nintendogs" proved to be insanely popular. Yes, cynics might argue it's just "another tamagochi rip-off" - but the thing is, it worked. Millions of people bought into it - cementing the place of the DS line (and inadvertently dooming the Game Boy line to never be looked at again after the Micro). Parents had a way to give their kids a "pet" without the need for vet bills, constant cleaning-up, house training, barking at night and so on. Dog lovers also grabbed the game as a way to enjoy having a pet without actually having one. I do have to admit the 3DS versions of the game don't seem to be as popular as the original was, but it's still sold well enough that no doubt Nintendo will do another game in the series on the next iteration of the DS consoles.

In my opinion, Nintendo will be around for a very long time to come - particularly as long as they continue to dominate the handheld market. They might have competition for the casual gamer nowadays in the form of mobile game apps for phones & tablets, but they're still making a consistent profit from that market, so even if every home console they make for the next 30 years or so goes down like a lead baloon, they'll still have more than enough cash to keep on going strong.
Where logic won't work, I will

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu May 05, 2016 6:34 am

What about the millions of people who bought a Wii for the local multiplayer "motion" games like Wii Sports, Music, Play, Fit and Party games? These were a pretty big success at the time, and not something that mobile/tablet really can replicate (or at least not that I've seen). Perhaps that bit was just a fad for Nintendo, but it certainly swept up millions of software and hardware sales, including from people who had little interest in gaming.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu May 05, 2016 12:36 pm

The new Zelda appears to be taking a different direction which indicates at least some attempt to move with the times by Nintendo. Series producer Eiji Aonuma says the new game is "a clean break from the conventions of previous games" and brings in new gameplay that removes limits "that forced players to use a set path".

Nintendo welcomes its new Western Open World RPG overlords. :shock:

I predict pain.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu May 05, 2016 5:16 pm

^I've heard non-linear design was already present in A Link Between Worlds on the 3DS so maybe they just decided to expand on the idea for the new home console game. But it should still feel refreshing after the previous console game which was often criticized for feeling too confined. Should be interesting to see how they'll use the gamepad too, a world map/inventory on the small screen would actually make sense as players wouldn't have to pause the game to access it.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri May 06, 2016 2:33 am

outdated_gamer wrote:^I've heard non-linear design was already present in A Link Between Worlds on the 3DS so maybe they just decided to expand on the idea for the new home console game. But it should still feel refreshing after the previous console game which was often criticized for feeling too confined. Should be interesting to see how they'll use the gamepad too, a world map/inventory on the small screen would actually make sense as players wouldn't have to pause the game to access it.
I'd expect it to be something like Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, which mixed open world and linearity very nicely indeed and proved (for me at least) that the japanese can do a stonking western style rpg if they put their minds to it.

I'd buy the NX if it had a worthy sequel to DD: DA on it. The game's a killer app for me.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Fri May 06, 2016 2:16 pm

Nope.

Analog

Post by Analog » Tue May 10, 2016 11:11 am

the best combination for me in recent years has been pc and nintendo, pc for all the multiplats i'm interested in and nintendo for everything else. I bought a ps3 at the end of the last decade primarily for ff13 as it was supposed to be an exclusive to playstation but that all changed.. at some point in the last 7 years I began to tire of playstation and these days I am not interested in sony for any of their big name exclusives except gran turismo, and I can live without that and play my retro iterations of the series for now, the ps3 got a lot of niche jrpgs which I did pick up but ive got quite a few and it will take a while for me to get around to them all. xbox one has some exclusives I am interested in but I am still not sold on either of these current gen consoles. certainly not ps4, it might be good but it just doesn't interest me the way it did in the past. nintendo has my attention though, I have found myself genuiely excited and happy about the nintendo games that were released on wii u. they managed to captivate me in a way none of the other console manufacturers really have done and that is not because I only like kiddie games, some of my favourite games I have ever played have had a very adult tone to them. but the ps4 and xbox just doesn't inspire much in me, it seems dull, bland, grey and brown and identikit in how interchangeable they both are. they are essentially gimped pc's these days with all the trouble of pc games (installing massive patches and downloads, games releasing broken) with none of the benefits like cutting edge graphics (infact you could probably build a pc now for the same price as ps4 and it would be far superior). I bought consoles in the past due to their simplicity vs pc, the instantaneous pick up and play thing vs the patience you need to get things going with pc. and since most multiplats went with pc releases this gen the best solution for me was a top pc for those games and to get my console fix from nintendo. it will be interesting to see where nintendo goes, but it's very possible I will be buying into nx. I only really dislike one of the their consoles, the n64. the wii I never had but I am picking up games for here and there due to the backwards compatibility. I had fun with the gc, I liked what I played on the nes and wished I had a snes at the time it was around and played some of the best titles later via emulation. the majority of their home consoles for me have been good.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Tue May 10, 2016 1:42 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:What about the millions of people who bought a Wii for the local multiplayer "motion" games like Wii Sports, Music, Play, Fit and Party games? These were a pretty big success at the time, and not something that mobile/tablet really can replicate (or at least not that I've seen). Perhaps that bit was just a fad for Nintendo, but it certainly swept up millions of software and hardware sales, including from people who had little interest in gaming.
I think I'll point to this sentence :lol:
gunbladelad wrote:The Wii has already been covered several times as an example of this,
As I summarised, they've pulled off things to get the lions share of the home console market in the past - and as long as their hold on the handheld market holds as strongly as it has they'll never have to shut down hardware operations.
Where logic won't work, I will

David

Post by David » Tue May 10, 2016 1:55 pm

One of the main things that put me off nintendo is that every console/handheld just seems to have mario/zelda/mario Kart etc

Then the next console comes out and that's their main games again

People get bored. I know these are great ganes but it's hard to get excited every time for flashier versions of the same stuff

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Tue May 10, 2016 2:21 pm

David wrote:One of the main things that put me off nintendo is that every console/handheld just seems to have mario/zelda/mario Kart etc

Then the next console comes out and that's their main games again

People get bored. I know these are great ganes but it's hard to get excited every time for flashier versions of the same stuff
Which, as a Nintendo fan, is how I feel about the endless parade of FIFA/COD every year on the Sony & Microsoft consoles.

Yet I still own a PS4 as I can see beyond the "obvious" games, and realise that there is a whole flood of software that isn't the core franchise based unit shifters. And it is the same (to a lesser extent, admittedly) on the Nintendo systems.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

David

Post by David » Tue May 10, 2016 2:24 pm

To be fair I am a total hypocrite as I am swaying towards getting a wii u to play mario/zelda/mario Kart as the ds ones are the first I have played for ages :lol: