Will Nintendo ever regain top spot?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Will Nintendo end up like Sega?

Yes, theyll get it right with the NX.
25%
Nope, they are doomed to failure.
75%

Total votes: 24

Antiriad2097

Re: Will Nintendo ever regain top spot?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun May 01, 2016 5:17 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:It's part of their identity and who they want to be, a sort of "Disney of gaming". If they could expand past this image without sacrificing it is another good question. If we look at, for example, Disney, they most certainly did by investing into big name franchises such as "Star Wars" and whatnot.
That famous series of adult movies Star Wars? You're kidding yourself. Even as an ardent fan I acknowledge these are for kids.

As for the Wii and DS hitting people who weren't catered for by MS and Sony, have you spoken to many Wii owners who didn't have it as a secondary system? Most of the people I know who own a Wii turned their noses up when I asked them what other games they played. They 'didn't play computer games', they just played Wii. They don't consider themselves gamers, most bought hardly anything for it and it now hides in a cupboard. They bought into a new 'thing' that wasn't videogaming.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun May 01, 2016 5:30 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:It's part of their identity and who they want to be, a sort of "Disney of gaming". If they could expand past this image without sacrificing it is another good question. If we look at, for example, Disney, they most certainly did by investing into big name franchises such as "Star Wars" and whatnot.
That famous series of adult movies Star Wars? You're kidding yourself. Even as an ardent fan I acknowledge these are for kids.
I thought Star Wars was for "everyone" not just kids... :wink:

And it's a powerful brand they didn't make that's filling their pockets.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun May 01, 2016 5:32 pm

ALK wrote:Hehheh, JFG "kiddie trash", I remember being so surprised when it was first released when you could use that disc weapon to decapitate enemy ant heads and even moreso when you could do it to that teddy bear race you're "meant" to rescue. :lol:

But I guess that's what happens when a generation of kids grow up flying GTA and COD... :roll:
We indeed live in dull times when a gem like JFG never saw a sequel or remake but something as overchewed as CoD keeps on getting new entries consistently every year since more than a decade now.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun May 01, 2016 5:44 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:

As for the Wii and DS hitting people who weren't catered for by MS and Sony, have you spoken to many Wii owners who didn't have it as a secondary system? Most of the people I know who own a Wii turned their noses up when I asked them what other games they played. They 'didn't play computer games', they just played Wii. They don't consider themselves gamers, most bought hardly anything for it and it now hides in a cupboard. They bought into a new 'thing' that wasn't videogaming.
Yet there were adults in their thousands waiting for the new movie, When I went to see it the adults outnumbered the kids by a huge amount. I would guess thats true for most people. Even if you think its for kids, the point outdated gamer may have been making is that Disney boought into an established franchise that appealed to a large variety of people and came with a large fanbase already installed. Its like if Nintendo somehow bought the Halo/CoD series and made it nintendo exclusive.

As for the Wii, my experience was the complete opposite, apart from a handfull of people everyone else also owned either an 360 or PS3and had the Wii as a 2nd console.

davyK

Post by davyK » Sun May 01, 2016 5:52 pm

Wii was my primary console last gen with the 360 as my second. It's all about the type of game you like. I can't be bothered with timesink genres - don't have the time (!). It's all about games with high replay value and local multiplayer in my house and single player time/score attack games. Wii met my needs with the 360 becoming interesting when Cave started supporting the platform.

Nintendo don't need to be top dog as long as they are profitable which they usually are whether they are top or not. One could argue they are in a market all of their own anyhow.

killbot

Post by killbot » Mon May 02, 2016 10:37 am

davyK wrote:Wii was my primary console last gen with the 360 as my second. It's all about the type of game you like. I can't be bothered with timesink genres - don't have the time (!). It's all about games with high replay value and local multiplayer in my house and single player time/score attack games. Wii met my needs with the 360 becoming interesting when Cave started supporting the platform.

Nintendo don't need to be top dog as long as they are profitable which they usually are whether they are top or not. One could argue they are in a market all of their own anyhow.
Wii was my primary console last gen, too. Like you I can't be bothered with time-sinks like GTA or Elder Scrolls, no matter how good they are - I have a full time job and a wife and kid at home. I want games that are a fun blast for 10-20 hours and then done. Wii catered to that really well. I also think that if you're able to look past the colourful, 'kiddie' exterior then first-party Nintendo games are probably the best in the world and you can get so much out of them.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue May 03, 2016 5:48 am

outdated_gamer wrote:They will face an uphill battle trying to get the PlayStation and Xbox audiences. If it didn't work out for three gens now I very much doubt it would now. Some of those who buy PS/Xbox might not even be interested in what Nintendo has to offer.
It will be uphill, but they don't have to win back them all and they don't have to do it immediately. I expect the NX to be closer to the PS4 and One than the Wii was to the PS3 and 360, so if Nintendo have better 3rd party support then the NX will be more tempting. When people buy a Playstation they know they're not getting Halo or Gears Of War, and when they buy a Xbox they know they're got getting Uncharted or Killzone, but they can live with that because whichever console they buy they know they are getting the majority of big mainstream multi-platform franchises like Fifa, GTA and COD, Nintendo either didn't have these games or had late/heavily compromised versions. Nintendo need to get back these essential third party games, if they do I think Nintendo's exclusives will look more tempting to gamers safe in the knowledge their GTA/COD/FIFA fix is covered.
outdated_gamer wrote:we have to admit that Nintendo does cater to a younger audience and maintains their "family friendly" image. Their history is full of evidence for that, from censorship back in the NES and SNES eras, Miyamoto suggesting Rare to drop all the blood out of GoldenEye, going with a cartoony style for Zelda on the GameCube, etc. It's part of their identity and who they want to be, a sort of "Disney of gaming".
Nintendo absolutely does cater to children, and so they should, they'd be mad not to, there's nothing wrong with being accessible and appealing to all ages. There is a distinction though between the software Nintendo makes and the software available on their consoles, just because Nintendo themselves doesn't make it doesn't mean Nintendo's consoles don't cater to 'mature' tastes. Madworld on the Wii is about the most violent game conceivable, it also had Resident Evil, Dead Space, No More Heros and House Of The Dead: Overkill, not to mention all the other 'core gamer' releases. The reality is Nintendo's consoles do cater to 'mature' tastes, but there is a perception that they don't, that's why I highlighted marketing and consumer perception as issues they need to address with the NX, they don't need to stop making cartoony games.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue May 03, 2016 4:10 pm

pratty wrote: Nintendo absolutely does cater to children, and so they should, they'd be mad not to, there's nothing wrong with being accessible and appealing to all ages.
I didn't say there is but it does seem they are kinda stuck in the middle between those who find them "too kiddie" (core/mainstream gamers) and those who don't really care for traditional games (casual/non gamers).

Like I said, I believe they will continue to carve out a market niche for themselves with their established franchises and innovative hardware approaches. Whether they could ever repeat the success of the Wii, well that remains to be seen.

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue May 03, 2016 7:40 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
pratty wrote: Nintendo absolutely does cater to children, and so they should, they'd be mad not to, there's nothing wrong with being accessible and appealing to all ages.
I didn't say there is but it does seem they are kinda stuck in the middle between those who find them "too kiddie" (core/mainstream gamers) and those who don't really care for traditional games (casual/non gamers).

Like I said, I believe they will continue to carve out a market niche for themselves with their established franchises and innovative hardware approaches. Whether they could ever repeat the success of the Wii, well that remains to be seen.
The perception that Nintendo games are 'for kids' almost entirely seems to come down to Mario and its spin-offs - most of their other franchises (Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox) have a more mature aesthetic. They've also sunk a lot of time over the last few years into cultivating some significantly more mature franchises (Bayonetta, Xenoblade, Devil's Third) some of which have worked out, some of which haven't.

The problem is, Nintendo fans like quirky Japanese titles. Nintendo could certainly afford to buy up some western developers and put out some military shooters, GTA clones or sandbox RPGs but the people who love these games might not want a Nintendo console and those that do might not want those games.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed May 04, 2016 5:31 am

outdated_gamer wrote:
But you, and a lot of other people, seem to be defining what a Nintendo console has to offer by a fraction of what Nintendo themselves puts out. Nintendo have had first and third party 'mature' games on their system, including exclusives, but all people seem to think about regarding Nintendo is cartoony platformers and casual party games. This is the perception problem that I said Nintendo needs to change, as well as getting the established third party multiplats back on board, a bigger deal needs to be made about games like Metroid and Xenoblade and whatever other 'mature' first and third party exclusives come out for their systems.

And there is somewhat of a market for less 'mature' games on the Playstation and X-Box, the recent Rayman games and Sonic Racing for example have had decent success, there is a market for the sort of games that is Nintendo's bread and butter, it may not be a lucrative as COD, FIFA and GTA etc, but if Nintendo get the big third party games back I don't think the Mario games will be seen as something offputting, but rather something more tempting.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed May 04, 2016 5:41 am

Plus I think many adults actually really love playing "cartoony" games. Super Mario Galaxy is probably still my favourite game of the millenium! I don't feel I need specifically violent or "mature" games to keep me amused, I just want good, fun and playable games. Variety is the spice of life as the old cliche goes. Which is why Nintendo will always have some success. Can't always be playing drab, grey first person combat shooters.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed May 04, 2016 12:10 pm

It's not so much about maturity but more about balance. They simply don't have that. Too many of their Wii U games all look similar. All have the same bright colours and style. It is worse now they have little else to fall back on. No 1080, Wave Race, F-Zero, Metroid and until recently, Star Fox.

Too many primary coloured experiences that didn't diversify enough from each other. That's how it feels to me.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed May 04, 2016 12:43 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:Plus I think many adults actually really love playing "cartoony" games. Super Mario Galaxy is probably still my favourite game of the millenium! I don't feel I need specifically violent or "mature" games to keep me amused, I just want good, fun and playable games. Variety is the spice of life as the old cliche goes. Which is why Nintendo will always have some success. Can't always be playing drab, grey first person combat shooters.
Yes this... I don't need to run around slashing throats to be enjoying gaming.... at least not all the time.

I don't care who is number one... as long as there are games to enjoy.

We could ask if MS will regain number 1 now the ps4 has comfortably won this generation....

Good to have options...
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Wed May 04, 2016 3:18 pm

with the quality of games on wii u compared to the other 2 systems, Nintendo don't deserve to be in 3rd place at the moment, so can they regain top spot? no.

do they need to? probably not, gaming is huge now.

if they were the Disney of video games they need to be aggressively buying every large franchise out there and milking them to death by releasing 20-30 games a year with identical template mechanics and structure.

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed May 04, 2016 3:50 pm

nakamura wrote:It's not so much about maturity but more about balance. They simply don't have that. Too many of their Wii U games all look similar. All have the same bright colours and style. It is worse now they have little else to fall back on. No 1080, Wave Race, F-Zero, Metroid and until recently, Star Fox.

Too many primary coloured experiences that didn't diversify enough from each other. That's how it feels to me.
But again, this is a focus on Nintendo's own output, you can get your 'mature' fix from games Xenoblade, Zombie-U, Fast Racing Neo, Fatal Frame, Bayontetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Batman Arkham Origins, Resident Evil Revelations, Tekken Tag 2, COD Ghosts and Injustice Gods Among Us etc. Third parties provide the alternative, though recently just not enough of them, not enough perceived quality, not enough hype/marketing, and some arrived too late for people to care. If this changes for the better with the NX I don't think Nintendo's unbalanced first party offerings will be a problem.