Will Nintendo ever regain top spot?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Will Nintendo end up like Sega?

Yes, theyll get it right with the NX.
25%
Nope, they are doomed to failure.
75%

Total votes: 24

crusto

Will Nintendo ever regain top spot?

Post by crusto » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:12 pm

I've got nothing but admiration for Nintendo and have owned alot of their consoles over the years. But I cant see myself owning one of their machines again. I realised after buying the wii that they were going in a direction im not particularly comfortable with, and I resisted buying the wii u as a direct result. I haven't lost any sleep over that decision!
Even if their next console is on an even keel technically and benefits from more cross platform releases. I dont see the likes of mario, zelda etc being enough to tempt me away from my ps4.

I think their next console release could be make or break for them, but am struggling to see how they can regain past highs. What do you guys think. What direction do you hope they take and do you think they can regain their market share?

Eat your nans pants

learnedrobb

Re: Will Nintendo ever regain top spot?

Post by learnedrobb » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:50 am

I haven't voted, simply because I don't believe it is as simple and "black & white" as the poll suggests.

The console market is pretty unpredictable. No one saw Sony becoming the dominant force with the original Playstation. No one saw Xbox 360 becoming dominant. Or the Wii selling over 100m units. Or the PS4 wresting control back to Sony.

We can speculate about the fortunes of the NX all we like. It might become massively popular. It might tank.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:04 am

I think the NX might be their last stab at the home console market. Heck, it might not even be a home console for all we know about it and the Wii U might be their last.

However, Nintendo are far from doomed. The 3DS still sold in very good numbers and there will be more handhelds from them at the very least because future generations are going to need something to play Pokemon on. That'll probably be regarded as a total irrelevance to the PS4/XB1 sector of the games market as it always has been, but I'm sure it'll continue to be a very profitable niche for them.

One thing's for sure though, they're never ever going to do a Sega. They've just got too much money in the bank and their way of doing things means they'll never risk more than a modest fraction of it. So, I guess I'll go for the first option.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:41 am

They're unlikely to regain top spot with me on a personal level. I'm just not interested in their IP. I don't think they'll take the No.1 spot for core gamers in the west for much the same reason.
I think it's entirely possible they could chime with the more casual mainstream again and repeat the success of the Wii.

In truth, I'm not arsed what they do really.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:18 am

I think an awful lot of their current sales are based on nostalgia. The games may or may not be good but nostalgia helps.

If nintendo were around only as long as sony in videogaming im not sure theyd have lasted past the gamecube to be honest, and the wii wasnt terrible...it just couldve been much more.

The only thing to tempt me from Sony now would be a new Sega console!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:19 am

Did they ever have 'top spot?

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:56 am

stvd wrote:Did they ever have 'top spot?
Back in the NES days they told developers how many games they were 'allowed' to publish in a year and they took it. Because they wanted to be on the platform.

I'm going to say yes.

Incidentally, I voted yes, they can regain top spot. Although odds are against them, I still think Miyamoto can come up with something.

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:14 am

theantmeister wrote:I still think Miyamoto can come up with something.
Most likely, the following with an NX suffix.
Super Mario
Super Smash Bros.
Metroid
Mario Kart
Zelda

And they'll all (probably) be great.
I was never a Nintendo buyer after the SNES.
I had an N64 but sold it on. I still have a virtually new Gamecube that hasn't been used in years and the Wii?
Well, I bought it for the wife, it lasted about 3 months before it got put in the cupboard.

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:18 am

Perhaps, they do have a new president now so any new decisions could be made to try and get back to the top, but I think its the older market that can't seem to get over the "kiddie" image or accuse Nintendo of releasing the same old games over and over (While some of them play their annual COD and FIFA. :lol: ). My nephew loves his Wii back as a kid but now at 13, it just no longer appeals to him in the slightest as he's full on "PC Gamer" now while his Wii U gathers dust and plays his 360 or XBONE once in a full moon.

I guess it's all down to NX. Unless it really does match up to what the PS4/XBONE can do technically, win those 3rd parties back including the games those companies considered "too adult" for a Nintendo console, and not entirely rely on a gimmick to sell a console, then they're probably always going to end up doing okay at best. The success of their first mobile app shows there is still interest in Nintendo, just not enough to shell out on a home console.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:48 am

learnedrobb wrote:I haven't voted, simply because I don't believe it is as simple and "black & white" as the poll suggests.
Yeah it's suggests the NX is the their last chance, but they don't need to be number one to turn a profit. Being nunber one might come later but I can't see it happening with the NX, simply because "Playstation" and "X-Box" brands have become the Hoover of the market, in that's what people associate as the leading brands, and I think that will take some time to turn that around to make people refer to the act of playing games as "playing Nintendo" again.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:50 am

Only a generation ago Nintendo had the most successful (in terms of hardware units shifted) home console, and comfortably the most successful handheld and overall gaming machine in the Nintendo DS. The Wii U is a bit of a flop (18% market share), but this is offset by the success of the 3DS - which has an 82% market share of the handhelds.

They have the capability, innovation and resources to come back from the Wii U. I've liked all of their consoles bar the NES (and virtual boy if that counts!). The Wii U is a bit of an oddball console, but it does offer a very different experience and style of games which I think compliment well with one of the other two from the PS4/Xbone (which kind of blend together with quite similar software and capabilities). The Wii U's issue is that the hardware costs were comparable to the PS4/Xbone due to the tablet, despite it clearly being technically inferior so feeling like poor value. This was a key mistake.

As for Nintendo games being too "kiddie", I'm just glad that I'm not insecure enough to care about the type of games I can have fun with, and can focus on just enjoying games based on how good, well designed and how addictive they actually are, rather than the level of drab bleak colour schemes, violence and swearing in them.
If we are going by hardware sales then yes - every handheld console they have released (bar the Virtual Boy), the NES, the SNES and the Wii. The NES and SNES also had easily the biggest selling games of their generations as well. Same with the Wii, although it could be argued that pack-in games don't count, and stuff like Mario Kart Wii and New Super Mario Bros Wii sold well (compared to other console big hitters like GTA and Halo) because their was less choice in the software library.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:29 am

66 million 8 bit consoles.
50 million 16 bit consoles and 100+ million Gameboys during that time.
Very much top spot.

As for the future, Nintendo will always remain successful I feel but the market has shifted and they are slowly starting to shift with it. 10 million Miitomo downloads for what is a nothing product is nothing to be sniffed at. Games like Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem could easily be reproduced on mobile devices with no detriment to the gameplay of either.

Nintendo will make a fortune on mobile.

As poor as the Wii U has done, Amiibo sales have been excellent. 3DS has still done really good numbers too.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:37 am

Did they ever have top spot ? Course they did, the NES was huge, as was the SNES, how about the Gameboy ?

I would like to see them bounce back, the Miitomo app (crap though it is) has been very popular. Should go crazy if they ever release something decent on iOS.

Be interesting to see what their new console will be like and if it'll be a hit or not. Hope it is as i love it when companies i grew up with are still around producing games/consoles (Would love to see Sega/Atari do something so i'm not a 'nintendo fan boy' , just want classic gaming companies to do well)

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:48 am

The real question is is "Do they need to"?

It is clear that they are still doing okay, even without the backing of the old hardcores, The Wii U is profitable, as is the 3DS. The only difference here is that they are making less than they are used to. Hardly a death knell for them considering the bank they made during the Wii years that has them sitting pretty for many years to come.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:06 am

I guess it depends on what you mean by top spot and how you want to spin it (that's not you personally by the way). If you based it on number of games and systems sold then the NES alone made most of its 8-bit competitors look pathetic in comparison.

I'm not voting, but I don't think they can get back on top. Sony's current lead is simply too great and it's clear that they're following a completely different path to their competitors. Naughty Dog aside, Nintendo still put out the best games over Microsoft and Sony. As long as they continue to do that I'll keep supporting their consoles.