Which was really better - 64 or ZX?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Which was better?

The 64. SID power!
41%
The ZX. Cheaper and cooler.
41%
I was the odd CPC kid
12%
Atari forever!
6%
Something else entirely
No votes

Total votes: 68

learnedrobb

Re: Which was really better - 64 or ZX?

Post by learnedrobb » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:22 am

One more thing: People shouldn't equate "most popular" or "best selling" to being the "better" hardware.

The Gameboy was the best selling, and therefore most popular handheld of the early 90s. But was it the "better" machine? Nope. That would have been the Lynx. Or the PC Engine GT.

To say the C64 is better because it sold 20m units means nothing.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:30 am

joefish wrote: As for comparing 21st century C64 homebrew games to early 80s ones from other machines to try make a point - hilarious. Keep it up that fellow. It's what keeps the boards in business.
Yes, it's not a fair comparison to compare homebrew games now where the developers have had a virtually unlimited time to perfect & maximise performance versus an 8bit game rushed to the market in a matter of weeks by programmers of all standards.

Not all programmers were Andy Braybrook or Joffa Smith back then so which format got the better game came down to a matter of luck as to who the developer was.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:26 am

The Beans wrote:I'm entirely impartial on the subject of which 8-bit computer is best, although it's the Spectrum obviously, but I must point out that if you thread a good bit of strong string through each machine and battle them against each other like it was a game of conkers I think the breadbin might turn out to be quite handy. But then the 800XL is a sturdy beast too. I just don't know really.
Is the Commodore PET 8-bit? If so, I would use that, with a rope
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Mon May 02, 2016 3:05 pm

andyc wrote:You do have to wonder how this is still an argument though, there was one game which defined 80s 8-bit gaming. It sat in the charts for, well basically forever. And that game was Robocop.

As to the Atari 8-bits.... *tumbleweed blows past... :wink:
Please tell me more about the Atari 8-bit version.

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Mon May 02, 2016 3:08 pm

markopoloman wrote:That Atari 8bit Bomb Jack looks good - looks very C64 though! and the music still isn't as good as the original C64 version.(imho)....

BUT - the Atari one was done in 2008 so only fair to compare it to the new C64 version that is indeed better looking and sounding that that version....

ATARI A8 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO-cFt8ARX8

C64 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L65H93C ... LxH8dlGwBo
The way these two versions are played in the videos, makes it hard for me to think they are even good versions. Can the bombs be collected in the correct order in these versions? If not, it's a different and my opinion lesser game.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue May 03, 2016 7:05 am

Yes. Note that the reworked C64 version is still a beta, with more work needing to be done.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

smila

Post by smila » Tue May 03, 2016 10:08 am

When i was a kid i always thought the speccy looked/sounded like the past and the c64 looked/sounded like the future.
I love em both now but back then there was only 1 machine we all wanted and that was the c64.
I still find it mad that they were both around at the same time, the c64 still looks way more advanced.
god created the sid chip so hubbard could make music

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue May 03, 2016 11:00 am

Sometimes I think that the fanboys are right, and that 50fps updates were pretty much the best thing about the C64!

As I've seen several games on it that look superbly smooth and fast, but then you hit PAUSE, or take a screenshot, and immediately notice the chunky pixels and the blandness of the colours (and it's not just the muddy choices inthe palette, but the way things like 4-colours to a background character cell, or shared colours across all the sprites limit things, just as sure as attributes on a Spectrum do) that you wonder how you were fooled by all that slick movement into thinking it was any better.

It's like when a magician momentarily stops waving that brightly coloured handkerchief around and you notice that one of his thumbs is an inch longer than the other and seemingly made of rubber...

merman

Post by merman » Tue May 03, 2016 12:41 pm

joefish wrote:Sometimes I think that the fanboys are right, and that 50fps updates were pretty much the best thing about the C64!

As I've seen several games on it that look superbly smooth and fast, but then you hit PAUSE, or take a screenshot, and immediately notice the chunky pixels and the blandness of the colours (and it's not just the muddy choices inthe palette, but the way things like 4-colours to a background character cell, or shared colours across all the sprites limit things, just as sure as attributes on a Spectrum do) that you wonder how you were fooled by all that slick movement into thinking it was any better.

It's like when a magician momentarily stops waving that brightly coloured handkerchief around and you notice that one of his thumbs is an inch longer than the other and seemingly made of rubber...
Rambo isn't yellow.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue May 03, 2016 1:06 pm

Nor was the jungle made out of Duplo.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue May 03, 2016 3:11 pm

Rambo looks better on the C64 (although compared to the Speccy the helicopter graphic is laughable) , and sounds better; but the Speccy version is easily plays the better game. This is true for a number of games.

On the other hand , there are quite a few C64 games that have great graphics and sound - and play equally, or much better than Speccy version.

For every Kung Fu Master there's a Chase HQ.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Wed May 04, 2016 2:59 am

paranoid marvin wrote: For every Kung Fu Master there's a Chase HQ.
On my Amstrad CPC Chase HQ is by most people considered being an excellent game, the same on Spectrum. Still, I prefer Kung Fu Master choosing between the two on the Amstrad. I find it much more playable.

Kung Fu Master on the C64 is a great conversion isn't it?

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed May 04, 2016 5:44 am

ivarf wrote:Kung Fu Master on the C64 is a great conversion isn't it?
Not really, it's alright. Could have been way better. It's no Buggy Boy or Bubble Bobble.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Wed May 04, 2016 7:26 am

This is like choosing which of my children I love more! I had both and loved them both. Both had their +'s and -'s.

If someone held a gun to my head and forced me to choose. I would make the decision based on which emulator I get the most fun out of and that I'm afraid has to fall to... The Speccy. :(

smila

Post by smila » Wed May 04, 2016 8:28 am

TIME magazine's 50 most influential gadgets
The c64 is #26
http://time.com/4309573/most-influential-gadgets/
god created the sid chip so hubbard could make music