What game/s do you think got unfairly reviewed?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

ncf1

What game/s do you think got unfairly reviewed?

Post by ncf1 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:01 am

Wonderboy on the C64 got a 52% review from Zzap! magazine which baffled the C64-loving brethren of the schoolyard back then, and although must of us agreed it wasn't a perfect conversion it was a damn fine effort and deserved around 90%. Hawkeye on the other hand was an average side scroller and yet received a ridiculous 98% and left many of the aforementioned also scratching their collective heads, and resulted in quite a few fistfights although that might have been just for fun.

What games - any system - do you think were unfairly reviewed, either ripped off in your opinion, or overrated?

Pip1974

Re: What game/s do you think got unfairly reviewed?

Post by Pip1974 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:51 am

Rise of the robots. :lol:

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:27 am

My PS1 magazine of choice (I think it was called Play but I'm not sure) were stabbing the cat over MGS but gave Tenchu like 70%. Tenchu is the greatest stealth game of all time.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:43 am

ncf1 wrote:Wonderboy on the C64 got a 52% review from Zzap! magazine which baffled the C64-loving brethren of the schoolyard back then, and although must of us agreed it wasn't a perfect conversion it was a damn fine effort and deserved around 90%. Hawkeye on the other hand was an average side scroller and yet received a ridiculous 98% and left many of the aforementioned also scratching their collective heads, and resulted in quite a few fistfights although that might have been just for fun.

What games - any system - do you think were unfairly reviewed, either ripped off in your opinion, or overrated?
Staying on your C64/Zzap!64 theme:

Delta. 74% in Zzap! and it was a far better game than Sanxion (and that got a Gold I think). One of my all time fave games on the C64. The other mags raved about it but Zzap! were quite unkind in the review and also the game was on the mag publishers own Thalamus label.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:54 am

Shadow Dancer on the Megadrive in both C&VG and Mean Machines.. C&VG marked it down for not being a conversion of the Arcade machine and Mean Machines gave it about 60%.. I know recently Jazza they really underrated it and it should have scored far higher.. Megadrive Shadow Dancer was done by the same team that did Arcade Shinobi, Golden Axe and Alien Storm, and to me it's the true sequel to the arcade Shinobi right down to the control..
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

merman

Post by merman » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:55 pm

markopoloman wrote:
ncf1 wrote:Wonderboy on the C64 got a 52% review from Zzap! magazine which baffled the C64-loving brethren of the schoolyard back then, and although must of us agreed it wasn't a perfect conversion it was a damn fine effort and deserved around 90%. Hawkeye on the other hand was an average side scroller and yet received a ridiculous 98% and left many of the aforementioned also scratching their collective heads, and resulted in quite a few fistfights although that might have been just for fun.

Staying on your C64/Zzap!64 theme:

Delta. 74% in Zzap! and it was a far better game than Sanxion (and that got a Gold I think). One of my all time fave games on the C64. The other mags raved about it but Zzap! were quite unkind in the review and also the game was on the mag publishers own Thalamus label.
I'm with Gary Penn on this one. Delta is a good game and well presented - but it relies too heavily on pattern learning and picking the right power-up.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

davyK

Post by davyK » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:07 pm

I remember a lot of the Gamecube games such as MKDD and Mario Golf & Tennis getting so-so reviews. I happen to think MKDD is the forgotten gem of the series and it's a pity the two drivers per kart mechanic was dropped as it allowed for interesting team-ups.

Mario Gold & Tennis probably got a lot of criticism because they didn't move on much from the N64 versions but graphically they were far more solid and packed with content. I think I remember these games getting 5/10 or so. They were more 7/10 games.

1080 Avalanche and Wave Race Blue Storm attracted a lot of criticism too but I thought they were pretty solid updates.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:23 pm

Devil's Third on the WiiU - excellent game, utterly panned in reviews - many of which told out right untruths about it.

Vampire Rain 360/PS3 - universally panned at review but I really liked it.

Dead Island 1 and 2 360/PS3 - not greatly reviewed but I love them.

Resident Evil 6 - Largely panned in reviews but I enjoyed it.

Castlevania - N64 - Panned at review stage but I love that game.

Personally I think Delta on the c64 deserved a better review score than Zzap gave it but I also agree that the need to memorise attack patterns stopped it from being a classic.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:51 pm

I once read a review on paperboy for the megadrive being slated by the reviewer. Its a classic game and i thought he was reviewing the wrong game...

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:41 pm

Delta is amazing stuff, but at the same time horribly broken. The tragedy is that you can see how little it would take to fix it. Perhaps just knock off the last upgrade when you die instead of them all, give the ship a little inertia or acceleration, make it possible to degrade if you pick up one speed icon too much (well, if the other movement fixes were done then it probably wouldn't be needed).
That is no more than some enterprising hacker might decide to go for. (Gotta love how one of those Scramble clones got a screen split fix.)

Gauntlet for the PS2 (and contemporaries) didn't get the all praise it deserved IMO. Neither did the PS2 Baldur's Gate games. Would love to have a modern high-res take on those.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:39 pm

Death By Degrees on PS2 - no classic by any means but it looked great and the combat was really cool. Magazines gave it around 40% at the time though if I remember rightly. On a personal level, I really love it.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:25 pm

merman wrote:
I'm with Gary Penn on this one. Delta is a good game and well presented - but it relies too heavily on pattern learning and picking the right power-up.
Was it singled for any particular reason? It seems a bit strange to fault a game for things that were prevalent in most scrolling shmups around that time.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:26 pm

Resident evil was praised way to much, unfairly so in my opinion :wink:
Other than that, perhaps Luigi's mansion was unfairly treated, but its all just opinions....influenced by fashions and bandwagon jumping, something that is still recognisable in reviews today. Reviews suck.

David

Post by David » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:32 pm

What about games that were unfairly OVERRATED by magazines? I remember this happening a lot in the MD and SNES era with a lot of very average games getting great reviews after being advertised heavily in the magazines in the previous months

Hmmm.........

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:47 pm

David wrote:What about games that were unfairly OVERRATED by magazines? I remember this happening a lot in the MD and SNES era with a lot of very average games getting great reviews after being advertised heavily in the magazines in the previous months

Hmmm.........
I mentioned that in my post, how Hawkeye got 98%, just ridiculous. I think RG themselves overrated Super Mario Galaxy 2 with 100%... just ludicrous, all that jumping around was flat out annoying! And GTA V I think got a couple of 100%'s in some mages which it didn't deserve.

But it was better than Super Mario Galaxy 2.