Name that game or console that you aspire to own

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Liamh1982

Re: Name that game or console that you aspire to own

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:22 pm

che_don_john wrote:I'd love to own a Sega Saturn and a copy of Nights Into Dreams, but it's hard to find a boxed version on ebay for a reasonable price (the occasions I've seen a boxed one, the sellers haven't accepted returns in case they turn out to be faulty).

The game looks brilliant but I haven't managed to get a good Saturn emulator working on my PC, and there's no sign of the game ever being release on XBL/PSN, so a hard-opy is my only chance to play it.
Have you tried SSF? Not perfect but I'd say 90% of my games are playable, haven't got NiGHTS though so can't vouch for that.

Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:39 pm

I'd love to own Earthbound on SNES, among other things. It's too rich for my blood at the minute, but maybe some day...

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:10 am

Liamh1982 wrote:
che_don_john wrote:I'd love to own a Sega Saturn and a copy of Nights Into Dreams, but it's hard to find a boxed version on ebay for a reasonable price (the occasions I've seen a boxed one, the sellers haven't accepted returns in case they turn out to be faulty).

The game looks brilliant but I haven't managed to get a good Saturn emulator working on my PC, and there's no sign of the game ever being release on XBL/PSN, so a hard-opy is my only chance to play it.
Have you tried SSF? Not perfect but I'd say 90% of my games are playable, haven't got NiGHTS though so can't vouch for that.
I have a fragment in my memory of maybe trying this once before. What I didn't realise, until looking it up again and reading it all properly, was that you need to burn the games onto a CD when using SFF - therefore, I wouldn't be surprised if at the time I thought it was like MD/SNES emulators whereby you'd just downlaod a ROM and loaded it up, and hence was unable to get it to work!

My palm has hit my face firm and hard.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:01 pm

Ooh, this thread again!
Some repeats, and some new "wants"...

Adventurevision, as ever:

Koei Pasogo, still:

Mega Duck/Cougar Boy:

Coca-Cola Game Gear:

Tomy Monster Burger:

Grandstand Crazy Monster:

Or Epoch Zig-Zag Monster:

Systema Mighty Max in Skull Dungeon:

Gakken Jungler:

Joust!

Savage Quest:

That'll do me fine, don't ask for much.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

The Dome

Post by The Dome » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:31 pm

I see alot of people seem to really want a PC Engine Duo-R [white] - I picked one up a while back which has been modded to use SCART so looks nice, but, I didn't really know what I was buying at the time so i've only got two games for it; Road Spirits on CD-ROM2 and R-Type on HU-Card. Just judging from those i'd say the machine was tripe so I presume I'm missing out on a fair few decent games? Road Spirits is probably the worst game I own. It's a driving game like Rad Racer but the sprites for the cars in the distance start off huge and get even bigger when you catch up to them!

Anyway, I've been looking for a really cheap Amiga CD32 and i'd like to get Chaos Engine for it. I'd like a perfect version. Alot of listings on ebay seem to have bust controllers and broken hinges etc...

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:39 pm

Pretty unlikely it must be said. Although I do have a copy of Ridge Racer and have owned an MX5 which sort of counts..........

TickledPink

Post by TickledPink » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:07 pm

Let's face it, I'm an Atari fanboy through and through so I'd love to get my hands on an Atari 1200XL, a 1450XLD or a 5200. I'd kill for a TT or a Falcon.

Never been one for Nintendo or SEGA. They've always left me a bit cold. One non-Atari console I would love to own one day would be a PC Engine.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed May 04, 2011 6:49 am

I really like posting on this one now and again:

PC Engine DUO

Mega CD - Mainly for Robo Aleste

Pink Hello Kitty DC

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Wed May 04, 2011 7:29 am

Now that I've finally managed to get my hands on a Saturn and have seen the amount of decent PAL games available (or lack thereof), I'm now yearning for Jap model. Alas, they're a bit too pricey for me, as are the games, but I'll keep my eyes peeled.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

retro-play-uk

Post by retro-play-uk » Wed May 04, 2011 1:58 pm

Not really a console, but would really like a MAME cab, but maybe a NEO GEO console if I had to choose one...

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Wed May 04, 2011 2:19 pm

I've got a curious urge to own an Amstrad CPC Plus. I saw one on Ebay (sadly out of my price range) and decided I would quite like one.

I think I need help... :?

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:42 am

A Pink Hello Kitty DC is still calling my name but BlazingStar on the Neo Geo AES is a close second, way too expensive though!

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:07 am

gmintyfresh wrote:
speedlolita wrote:
gmintyfresh wrote:Ha ha this bugger (the thread) pops up again now and I don't think my main "want" has changed for at least a year!!

A PC Engine Duo, I do want Sapphire now for the system but ouch that's bloody expensive!!

More realistically I'd love to get a complete copy of Alien Soldier
Even bootlegs of Sapphire go for £80+ I believe. :lol:

You really want a Duo RX mate - the final revision.
It's a toughie my heart says go for the Duo - I love the design and colour my head says go for the RX. To be honest which ever I can pick up cheapest boxed will decide! I've seen proper copies of Sapphire going for silly money mate, I do know with some inevitability that eventually It'll be road I go down at some point.......
I'd say get a Duo R, I personally find them more appealing than the RX. As for Sapphire, its definitely worth picking up a bootleg, even for £80 if you're interested in it as a tech demo/pretty decent shooter. Some stunning effects and animation for an 8/16bit game. Then get Gate and Winds of Thunder and find yourself sucked into the relentless vortex of PCE addiction. I'll be treating myself to a third PCE sometime soon and have no regrets despite the financial outlay and mental side effects. :D

Outside of that, I want to get going on my MAME cab, a project I had to temporarily abandon last year due to various commitments.
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

MediaCult

Post by MediaCult » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:33 pm

Next one is an Atari 2600 or the junior one. Don't know which is best?
MobyGames profile: http://www.mobygames.com/user/sheet/userSheetId,131075/
PSN/Microsoft/Wii U/STEAM nickname: MediaCult (feel free to add me).

astaroth

Post by astaroth » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:46 pm

Console - Neo Geo AES

Game - Terranigma (SNES)

Not much i know, but once i get them i'll move onto the next "aspiration". :D