Name that game or console that you aspire to own

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:28 am

gmintyfresh wrote:
oli_lar wrote:Metal Slug 1 :wink:
............ and a bank loan!!!! :lol:
The same seller sold a Metal Slug 1 for £17.99
Should that have gone for more?

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:41 am

Metal Slug for the AES is worth a lot, Metal Slug for the MVS is not.

Beware of MVS to AES conversion games though (great if you just want to play the game, but not if you paid 1000's of dollars for it).

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:48 am

So whats the difference between AES and MVS?

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:49 am

AES = Home console
MVS = Arcade hardware

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:50 am

Right-o :)

I did read about it in RG, but my memory aint great.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:41 am

gmintyfresh wrote:Well finally here got a NEO GEO, just need some games (any game recommendations?) and a step down.

Good games:
Fatal Fury Special (great FF game, and cheap), Also look at Real Bout Special which is another great FF game, pricier though.
KOF 98 - My personal favorite, loads of characters and excellent music to.
Last Resort - R-Type for the Neo Geo
Last Blade 1 or 2 - Great weapons based fighting games
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:55 am

ShadowMan wrote:
gmintyfresh wrote:Well finally here got a NEO GEO, just need some games (any game recommendations?) and a step down.

Good games:
Fatal Fury Special (great FF game, and cheap), Also look at Real Bout Special which is another great FF game, pricier though.
KOF 98 - My personal favorite, loads of characters and excellent music to.
Last Resort - R-Type for the Neo Geo
Last Blade 1 or 2 - Great weapons based fighting games
As always thanks for the great advice, must admit my knowledge of SNK beaters is limited being a Capcom man, I do love the KOF series however. I remember enjoying world heroes too.

Last Resort is on the list (a bit pricey at the moment), I remember you saying it was like R-Type. Do you know if Ghost Pilots is up to scratch?
Last edited by gmintyfresh on Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:01 am

Weekend_Warrior wrote:I highly recommend Baseball Stars 2 for the NEO-GEO.

It's still the best baseball game I've ever played
Do you think i'll appeal to someone that isn't that intesrested in the sport i.e is it a full arcade game?

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:28 am

Ghost Pilots is supposed to be good, haven't played it personally but have heard alot of good things about it.
I liked the last World Heroes game (WH Perfect I think). I got a spare WH2 cart though if your interested (its in used condition, got it with my NG from Gamestation but had grabbed a boxed copy for £10 a few months earlier)
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:12 am

ShadowMan wrote:Ghost Pilots is supposed to be good, haven't played it personally but have heard alot of good things about it.
I liked the last World Heroes game (WH Perfect I think). I got a spare WH2 cart though if your interested (its in used condition, got it with my NG from Gamestation but had grabbed a boxed copy for £10 a few months earlier)
Yep mate I'd be interested just need to get some titles in so I can get a library going.

I seem to remember an article about Ghost Pilots in Retro Gamer months ago might check it out or MAME it

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:52 am

From what I've played of Ghost Pilots I wouldn't bother with it, it's painfully average. Much better off getting a decent shooter like Viewpoint or Pulstar.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:41 am

Good call with Pulstar, another fantastic shmup (with heavy influence from R-Type). But good god its so hard. Its a challange for me to get off of level 2. Expensive to!

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:02 am

I'd like to recommend loads of Neo stuff, but when I had my AES the games were too expensive so I switched over to MVS. So I would say all the metal slugs up to (and including) 3, shock troopers 1, blazing star, pulstar, last resort, strikers 1945 plus (think this might not exist officially, maybe as a conversion) Samurai Showdowns, Last Blades, there's loads.

The only thing is on AES they are all pretty expensive :( And the cheaper games are generally the older ones, which means you're looking at games before they got to grips with the system. The later games look so different you might think they were on another system at times (that's partly to do with the fact they just stuck zillions of meg in the carts)

Remember the start up screen says 'Max 330 Mega' - The last loads of games were like 750 + meg haha.

If you haven't already, check out www.neo-geo.com it's a good site for reviews and info.

Good luck getting some cool games at good prices :)

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:24 am

Thank you all for your suggestions, I've certainly got a lot to think about now :D

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:40 am

C=Style wrote:From what I've played of Ghost Pilots I wouldn't bother with it, it's painfully average. Much better off getting a decent shooter like Viewpoint or Pulstar.
Yeah Ghost Pilots is very bland.

I played View Point for the first time the other day - is it just me or is it incredibly hard? I mean I can neraly 1CC Mushimesama, but View point I can't 1CC the first level!

Maybe its the ah..'view point' :lol: