Name that game or console that you aspire to own

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:13 am

I wouldn't mind picking up a DS at some point.
Splink!

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:47 am

I'd also love to own a PCE with CDRom (RGB mod) sometime in the future. Never actually played on a PCE in the flesh, but I do really love emulating it, one of them consoles I used to drool over back in 1987 which has stuck with me. I'd also love to re-buy another A1200 at some point, with 4GB HDD full to the brim with WHDload and other bit's n bobs. That would be very cool.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:24 am

C=Style wrote:I'd also love to own a PCE with CDRom (RGB mod) sometime in the future. Never actually played on a PCE in the flesh, but I do really love emulating it, one of them consoles I used to drool over back in 1987 which has stuck with me. I'd also love to re-buy another A1200 at some point, with 4GB HDD full to the brim with WHDload and other bit's n bobs. That would be very cool.
I've had a Core 2 for about 3 years and for me when i finally got a PC Engine it was one of those moments I'd looked forward to for years. I've never been disappointed with the machine the UK market missed a treat

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:16 am

Nearly bought a TG16 (Turbo Grafx 16) the US (and in some PAL/SECAM areas) version of the PC Engine. It was in the Hull store of GameStation, boxed with blazing lazers. They wanted £69.99 for it, was almost tempted, my girlfriend talked me out of it and I have to agree with her cos she said for a console it was damn ugly.........although im in Hull Thursday so just maybe......

JimMiller

Post by JimMiller » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:35 pm

If you really want a turbografx check ebay. Check the PC Engine section and there is a brand new turbo grafx 16 selling for £50 delivered from console clearance, I think he's probably got a few. Link is below:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TURBO-GRAFX-16-CO ... dZViewItem
I'd try to get the PC Engine myself though, a lot of the games didn't come out for the turbo grafx as it flopped. Also, if you think the console is ugly you won't believe the American box art - absolutely the worst ever and enough to put me off to be honest. I'm happy with a PC Engine in any case, there are very few language barrier issues with most of the games on this system. Hope this helps.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:07 am

JimMiller wrote:If you really want a turbografx check ebay. Check the PC Engine section and there is a brand new turbo grafx 16 selling for £50 delivered from console clearance, I think he's probably got a few. Link is below:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TURBO-GRAFX-16-CO ... dZViewItem
I'd try to get the PC Engine myself though, a lot of the games didn't come out for the turbo grafx as it flopped. Also, if you think the console is ugly you won't believe the American box art - absolutely the worst ever and enough to put me off to be honest. I'm happy with a PC Engine in any case, there are very few language barrier issues with most of the games on this system. Hope this helps.
I totally agree the PC engine looks better and is smaller + the art on the US version games are particularly rubbish in comparison to the lovely JAP Hucard jewel case package.

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:23 am

A fair few things I've aspired to own I now do, but items I'm currently on the hunt for are:

PC Engine CD system
Kirby's Dreamland 3 - SNES
Paper Mario NTSC (cheaper) - N64
Do Re Mi Fantasy - SNES
Umihara Kawase - SNES
All the SD Great Battle games - SNES

bigfreakypossum

Post by bigfreakypossum » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:14 am

I aspire to own a Supergrafx, partly because it's an obvious oddity, partly because Capcom rule, and partly because it looks like a robot monster's brain.

I would only care to get the super-awesome ports of G'n'G and 1941, those other four games are crap.
One toot on this whistle will send you to a far away land!

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:16 am

I aspire to own the handheld pc engine thing and another 3DO

and, obviously the Hitachi Hi-Saturn :wink:
Thoughts and prayers.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:21 am

tekaotaku wrote:Nearly bought a TG16 (Turbo Grafx 16) the US (and in some PAL/SECAM areas) version of the PC Engine. It was in the Hull store of GameStation, boxed with blazing lazers. They wanted £69.99 for it, was almost tempted, my girlfriend talked me out of it and I have to agree with her cos she said for a console it was damn ugly.........although im in Hull Thursday so just maybe......
Be warned - GS had an influx of these traded-in (think there was some stock clearance somewhere) as the till price for PC Engine didn't differentiate between versions so they were taken in for a bit too much. It's very difficult to get hold of a decent converter for these (to run the jap games) and there aren't half as many US games available (plus the box art sucks) Finally, they are PAL - so 50hz with borders. You just aren't getting the best of the PC Engine if you get one of those particular models. Just be careful out there!

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:51 am

I want:
Pc engine cd system
Dracula x
Snatcher (mega cd)
Garou mark of the wolves (AES. NEVER GONNA HAPPEN!! )

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:57 am

Mootown wrote:
tekaotaku wrote:Nearly bought a TG16 (Turbo Grafx 16) the US (and in some PAL/SECAM areas) version of the PC Engine. It was in the Hull store of GameStation, boxed with blazing lazers. They wanted £69.99 for it, was almost tempted, my girlfriend talked me out of it and I have to agree with her cos she said for a console it was damn ugly.........although im in Hull Thursday so just maybe......
Be warned - GS had an influx of these traded-in (think there was some stock clearance somewhere) as the till price for PC Engine didn't differentiate between versions so they were taken in for a bit too much. It's very difficult to get hold of a decent converter for these (to run the jap games) and there aren't half as many US games available (plus the box art sucks) Finally, they are PAL - so 50hz with borders. You just aren't getting the best of the PC Engine if you get one of those particular models. Just be careful out there!
Yea Ive thought about it but gonna pass, just had to fork out for a set of rainbow talking plush teddies for my girlfriend for valentines day so money is tight (again!!!) for the rest of this month.....

Also bigfreakypossum........
Dont really know if its a good price but just incase you missed it....http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PC-ENGINE-SUPER-G ... dZViewItem

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:14 am

I don't know why so many people are aspiring so much to get a PCE CD - they're really not that expensive. A new 360 game would cost you more.

bigfreakypossum

Post by bigfreakypossum » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:13 pm

That's a huge ripoff, even with Blazing Lazers (Gunhed) which is a great game. TG-16's sell for about $40 USD here and usually come with a game or two.
tekaotaku wrote:Also bigfreakypossum........
Dont really know if its a good price but just incase you missed it....http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PC-ENGINE-SUPER-G ... dZViewItem
Yeah, that's $100 GBP, I saw one a little cheaper last week, $149.99 USD, I guess it's going to set me back somewhere in the $100-200 USD range, which I can't really afford right now especially considering how hard it is to find the couple of games I want (not to mention how much those will probably cost).
One toot on this whistle will send you to a far away land!

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:09 pm

Well my dream has come true finally got a boxed Jap Neo Geo Aes at the right price. Looking for Magician Lord, I feel like that huge gap in my games collection has been plugged