Quirky Commodore 64 games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Darran@Retro Gamer

Quirky Commodore 64 games

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:16 pm

We're putting together a minority report for the C64.
Does anyone have any forgotten classics/curios they'd like to put forward.

gman72

Re: Quirky Commodore 64 games

Post by gman72 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:37 pm

Bird Mother - A quirky multi levelled game of bird mothering.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf-QcefBz1c

Bouncers - Quirky future sport sim with two knights on elastic strings attached that shoot balls at each other trough their arms. Great Fred Grey music too.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR9sgetfoR0

Cliff Hanger - A game about making a wild west movie. Smart.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkb3thB5ilo

Warriors Of Zyphar - Another great future sport sim with two warriors on flying disks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQVPkug0bhg
Last edited by gman72 on Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:43 pm

Oh yes, "The Attack Of The Phantom Karate Devils". It was a running joke for years : in school you would ask kids if they had Double Dragon - the game everyone wanted at the time - and they would say oh yes, and cheerily hand over a tape to you, which you instantly knew was odd because kids never wanted to readily hand over the 'good' titles. And inevitably it would be ... Phantom Karate. Over and over again, just like Charlie Brown trying to kick the damn football I would be fooled into thinking I had Double Dragon. In the end, ironically, I think I just about preferred Phantom Karate!

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:48 pm

ncf1 wrote:Oh yes, "The Attack Of The Phantom Karate Devils". It was a running joke for years : in school you would ask kids if they had Double Dragon - the game everyone wanted at the time - and they would say oh yes, and cheerily hand over a tape to you, which you instantly knew was odd because kids never wanted to readily hand over the 'good' titles. And inevitably it would be ... Phantom Karate. Over and over again, just like Charlie Brown trying to kick the damn football I would be fooled into thinking I had Double Dragon. In the end, ironically, I think I just about preferred Phantom Karate!
Yeah, I remember Karate Devils. Great little game.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:49 pm

Id love to see some screenshots of the proposed games as im at this minute with a colleague trying to figure out two games i had on a large floppy disk on a commodore a long time ago (since broken)

On the offchance someone remembers - one was a combat jet games flying away from the screen afterburner style, you start dovebombing towards a ship with fighters coming at you but i always crashed into the ship eventually as with no instructions and being five years old i couldnt figure it out.

The other one im convinced mustve been a demo, it looked like a spectrum game and when i loaded it some poor graphoc dragon was flying at the top of the screen raining fireballs on your poor fella on a 2D graphic 3D style game.

As for the topic, one quirky game i had was asterix and the black cauldron, it seemed so strange compared to more basoc asterox platformers back in the day sneaking past well animated cartoon Romans!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:50 pm

Space Taxi - Weird future Taxi Sim released in 1984 with lots of sampled speech.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:07 pm

I say quirky, you may say crap - but these do get a play from time to time.

Little Green Man

Black Knight

Rocket Ball

Hyperball

Ghettoblaster

Killer Watt

Psycho Pigs UXB

Snokie

Train Robbers
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:09 pm

RetroMartin wrote:one was a combat jet games flying away from the screen afterburner style, you start dovebombing towards a ship with fighters coming at you but i always crashed into the ship eventually as with no instructions and being five years old i couldnt figure it out
Typhoon perhaps?
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:32 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:
RetroMartin wrote:one was a combat jet games flying away from the screen afterburner style, you start dovebombing towards a ship with fighters coming at you but i always crashed into the ship eventually as with no instructions and being five years old i couldnt figure it out
Typhoon perhaps?
You my good sir are a legend. That is the right game, soon as the music chipped on for the first level. I do seem to remember it looking a little prettier though! One game down one to go!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:42 pm

Typhoon is a port of an arcade game, so if you want a prettier version it's playable in MAME.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:57 pm

Hmmm... some thoughts right off the top of the head...

Bounces (I think got mentioned earlier but mis-spelled)
Booga Boo (the Flea)
Pneumatic Hammers
Kettle
Moondust
Mancopter
Ankh
Deactivators
Portal

Oh and pretty much anything by Taskset - Poster Paster, Jammin', Super Pipeline 1&2, Cad Cam Warrior, Seaside Special.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:02 pm

There are so many quirky 8 bit games, shame just to reserve it for C64 games

Give My Regards to Broad Street
How to be a Complete B*stard
Frankie Goes to Hollywood
Seaside Special
Drelbs
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:17 pm

gman72 wrote:Space Taxi - Weird future Taxi Sim released in 1984 with lots of sampled speech.
One of my favourite games on the C64, but it's already been covered in the C64 Collector's Guide (that's how I found out about it).

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:45 pm

Mayhem wrote:Hmmm... some thoughts right off the top of the head...

Bounces (I think got mentioned earlier but mis-spelled).
yeah thats the one i meant. My bad. :oops:

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:46 pm

RetroMartin wrote:
Bub&Bob wrote:
Typhoon perhaps?
You my good sir are a legend. That is the right game, soon as the music chipped on for the first level. I do seem to remember it looking a little prettier though! One game down one to go!
Cool. As Antiraid said, it's a coin op conversion, the arcade version is much better (funnily enough!)